1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Check out this noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
I took my Fit into the dealer today. Robertson Honda of North Hollywood, California. The Service Writer said that "they couldn't find anything." The Service Manager said that "It's normal." They both said that the Honda District Parts and Service Manager (DPSM) drove the car as well, and she said that it was normal. This result is just about what I expected and is why I delayed in killing a workday this way.

So, I'm driving a car that vibrates so much that it is physically uncomfortable to ride in it, but Honda insists that "It's normal."

P.S. I expect to be screwed over by manufacturers. It's how the system works. But I never expected that I would buy a Honda engine with a design flaw.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Marrk
I took my Fit into the dealer today. Robertson Honda of North Hollywood, California. The Service Writer said that "they couldn't find anything." The Service Manager said that "It's normal." They both said that the Honda District Parts and Service Manager (DPSM) drove the car as well, and she said that it was normal. This result is just about what I expected and is why I delayed in killing a workday this way.

So, I'm driving a car that vibrates so much that it is physically uncomfortable to ride in it, but Honda insists that "It's normal."

P.S. I expect to be screwed over by manufacturers. It's how the system works. But I never expected that I would buy a Honda engine with a design flaw.
Seriously try using a thicker oil like 5w30 with premium gas and see if that helps.

Road vibrations is the tires. My Fit had bad tires and it would vibrate on the highway. Changing speeds helped.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
I'v been trying to suggest to you since mid-november that it is probably piston slap and progressively worn motor mounts would help account for the vibration.

Try an oil with a thicker cold weight. 10w30 for example, or even a 15w. The difference between 5w and 0w is less than the difference between 10 and 5 in many cases. High zddp zinc/high moly oils wouldn't hurt either.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
I figured the dealer would have checked the motor mounts but they only do what you say and probably did not look at them. Maybe add 3 quarts of 5w30 and 1 of 15w40 truck oil for the extra zinc.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member

Just out of curiosity did you happen to check if the spark plug 'wires' were correctly fitted. If memory serves the firing order is 1-3-4-2.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by willy65000
It sounds like mine Kirko. I also have the same variables that you've listed however mine needs to be extra warm before it'll quite. Like driven pretty hard or at high speeds for quite a while.
Agreed, my noise sounds EXACTLY like Kirko's as well--My car is an '07 with 123K...I'm averaging 34-36MPG per tank and the noise shuts up once the car has been driven at speed for a while.

I have also observed that since only filling up with Chevron Premium Grade the noise seems to be quieter and that when I put the car in Park (Mine is A/T) the noise is more pronounced.

Last edited by TMH42; 02-10-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TMH42
Agreed, my noise sounds EXACTLY like Kirko's as well--My car is an '07 with 123K...I'm averaging 34-36MPG per tank and the noise shuts up once the car has been driven at speed for a while.

I have also observed that since only filling up with Chevron Premium Grade the noise seems to be quieter and that when I put the car in Park (Mine is A/T) the noise is more pronounced.

Premium gas has more octane in it. Octane resolves engine knock. Engine knock is detonation. So, you're saying your problem is detonation? Maybe. But I don't think so. I don't think that that noise is detonation.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Premium gas has more octane in it. Octane resolves engine knock. Engine knock is detonation. So, you're saying your problem is detonation? Maybe. But I don't think so. I don't think that that noise is detonation.
It could just be wishful thinking, but it seems to have helped--nevertheless the noise is still there but I have experienced zero issues with reliability, economy or otherwise.

Oil will be changed this coming week, I'll check the old filter for any debris.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
It could just be wishful thinking, but it seems to have helped--nevertheless the noise is still there but I have experienced zero issues with reliability, economy or otherwise.

Oil will be changed this coming week, I'll check the old filter for any debris.

Any problems with vibration?

Old 02-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Not at this point, nothing to report.

The only thing that I've noticed that is definitely true is that the noise is louder when the car is in Park.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:30 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Does anyone else think it could be the water pump?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
Does anyone else think it could be the water pump?
I'm not sure about the water pump making that kind of clattering sound. Especially for as long as mine's been doing this.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:42 PM
It seems to me that as this thread goes on the noise is just a 'Characteristic of the car'. Of course something is making that noise and it probably shouldn't be, but as far as I can tell no one can diagnose it for sure (Including dealers) and there haven't been any linked failures to the noise.

Still keeping an eye on this thread though, hoping I won't see "Well, my engine just ate itself" anytime soon

Old 02-14-2012, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
It seems to me that as this thread goes on the noise is just a 'Characteristic of the car'. Of course something is making that noise and it probably shouldn't be, but as far as I can tell no one can diagnose it for sure (Including dealers) and there haven't been any linked failures to the noise.

Still keeping an eye on this thread though, hoping I won't see "Well, my engine just ate itself" anytime soon
It's a really messed up metallic sounding noise that's been happening on my car for fifty thousand or so miles. Honestly, it sounds like it probably should eat itself.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by willy65000
It's a really messed up metallic sounding noise that's been happening on my car for fifty thousand or so miles. Honestly, it sounds like it probably should eat itself.

And no vibration? Is that right, willy?

Thanks.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
No vibration at all. It's a smooth running engine with no drivability issues. Just a bad noise.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Not at this point, nothing to report.

The only thing that I've noticed that is definitely true is that the noise is louder when the car is in Park.
Sounds like a trans problem then. Try putting it in neutral and see how it sounds? If its quiet then the trans is your problem.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
2007 Honda Fit Sport w/ Automatic Transmission, 87,000kms, and contains all symptoms as shown in the original video of this thread. Sadly, as the car ages, the engine tick seems to get progressively louder.

Both engine and transmission have seen consistent synthetic oil changes since 11,000kms. The main number of kilometers are highway based, as the vehicles seen a number of extensive road trips since it's purchase in 2007.

I was informed by a number of Honda technicians that there is a service bulletin on the 2008 Honda Fit's for a Valve Adjustment which apparently resolves this issue. Sadly, I haven't had the money to confirm or deny that this the apparent fix.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JaySmith
2007 Honda Fit Sport w/ Automatic Transmission, 87,000kms, and contains all symptoms as shown in the original video of this thread. Sadly, as the car ages, the engine tick seems to get progressively louder.

Both engine and transmission have seen consistent synthetic oil changes since 11,000kms. The main number of kilometers are highway based, as the vehicles seen a number of extensive road trips since it's purchase in 2007.

I was informed by a number of Honda technicians that there is a service bulletin on the 2008 Honda Fit's for a Valve Adjustment which apparently resolves this issue. Sadly, I haven't had the money to confirm or deny that this the apparent fix.
I've done two valve adjustments on this car and all of the intake valves were within spec. However all of the exhaust valves were on the tight side of the specified range or slightly tighter than the specified range which will make the engine run quieter not louder. I think most people around here have had similar results when looking at valve clearances so what there telling you doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Who knows though.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
It's not the valves that are cause the noise. If you doubt me, adjust your valves or hold a stephoscope to the valve cover when the noise is apparent.

Quick Reply: Check out this noise