1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Check out this noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
I was talking to GAFIT in another thread.

Does anyone here think that the noise we are hearing could be an exhaust leak?

How does one check for an exhaust leak?

Old 11-22-2011, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Old 11-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Piston slap, Rod Bearings, or could potentially be loose flex plate/flywheel assy. Had a similar problem on my jeep and it was a loose flex plate. Obviously totally different motor and tranny setups. Just food for thought.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
nah, it's not an exhaust leak at all. It's definitely metal. Mine is loud to the point of embarrassment when at a stop. Quite during warm up, then bam....diesel when warm! it's as embarrassing as the rear brake squeak...don't get me started on that lol.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
@gimme: Mine sounds like tapping, but not particularly metallic tapping. If an exhaust leak is something that would make a "knock"or a "tap" noise as a result of the combustion cycle, and if it were an imperfect leak, it would explain my intermittent, top end, aft side of the engine noise.

I can't take the rods, bearings and pistons out, but maybe I can inspect for an exhaust manifold leak. See where I'm going with this?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
Exhaust leaks don't make a knock, tap or any sort of metallic noise.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Exhaust leaks don't make a knock, tap or any sort of metallic noise.

Well, that sucs.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
I had another listen tonight. It does have that rattle-y diesel sound.

So, what do you diesel-powered Fit owners intend to do about it? If it is a rod-bearing-piston thing, what does one do?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
In the case it is determined to be rod knock...

Pull the pan, pop the big ends off the rods and check it out. If those show no signs of excessive or out of round wear, look at the cylinder bores and check for slap.

If that's not it, pop the mains.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
^^Right. That will require a mechanic.

Would there be any other signs besides noise? Maybe metal in the engine oil? Smoke in the exhaust? Something?

Old 11-23-2011, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
The closest thing to a tapping sound I could locate with a stethoscope was at the plastic coupler under the throttle body that joins the fuel line from the pump in the tank to the fuel rail to the injectors.. The EGR valve is also loud during warm up and has hoses running to various connections all over the engine.... The colder it gets the louder the sound and longer it takes to quieten down.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Coyote, I don't think you have the same sound that I have.

Any hear from ILoveMyHonda1984 lately?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
With all of the modifications it is pretty close to being horrible sounding on cold mornings. It will be even louder when I get my Weapon R intake manifold on it and the throttle body intake enlarged... I have to turn off my hearing aids already even when it is warmed up and on the highway and I have to pull over and shut down the engine to use my cell phone... I know that sounds bad but there is almost always someone that will stop me when I am on my way to town wanting to ride in it.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Today, I paid the AAA club $30 extra for a membership upgrade. Now, I have 100 mi. towing service.

Then, I noticed that my odometer was within 100 of going out of the 60k powertrain warraty, so I thought I would get down to the dealer and get things on record and in the system.

At the dealer, the Service Writer tells me that all their computers are down. Not only that, but my engne isn't knocking. I mean, isn't knocking at all. In fact, it sounds great. So, I figured I'm screwed. But I decide to wait for the Service Manager to get off the phone, so I can have a word with him.

This takes too long, so I start up to leave and there is the knock. I can hear it. The Service Writer can hear it. When the Service Manager arrives, he can hear it. Everybody hears it. Hallelujah! Then, the Service Manager calls for a tech to come listen. We are all standing there, listening to this knock, and the tech says, "It sounds normal to me." Pendejo.

The Service Manager blows off the tech, and opens an RO in longhand, and tells me to come back next Tuesday or Wednesday, and that they are going to check out the car and talk to the Honda rep.

My question for you good people: How can this be a bearing, or rod, or piston slap, if sometimes it is there and loud, and sometimes it is completely gone? (The Service Manager said he did not think it was the bottom end.)

Old 11-23-2011, 07:21 PM
In listening to your videos again I am convinced we have the exact same knock...I eagerly await what the dealership finds. On one hand I hope it's nothing (So I don't have to worry either), but on the other I hope they can at least identify what the source is.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
It may turn out that old, crazy Coyote was right about this. The problem may turn out to be a valve of some sort. I got home tonight and, when I got out to open the garage door, I could hear the knocking from the end of my driveway. I think I can elicit the knock just by driving the car hard. Maybe hard driving causes a valve to stick or clog. After it works itself out, the knock "goes away." Then, more hard driving clogs it again and the knock returns.

I'm guessing wildly, but, you can see, I'm trying to imagine a scenario, a chain of events.

Maybe the dealer will work it out next week.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
I have been aware of the sound for 5 years and 39700 miles and have accepted it as being a normal thing for this engine.... Both the EGR valve and fuel line are loud when first started while cold and quiet after warm up on my car and it has always been that way... It is late so I'll crash and check out the Helms Manual tomorrow to see if I can make any sense of why it does this.... It would be nice to know but it is something I have gotten used to.... I would think that if there is a problem something would have broke by now considering the amount of stress on my engine with 10PSI boost and a raised rev limit...

Old 12-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
i cant accept it as normal, unfortunately. about September of last year was when i first heard it, and it has since progressively gotten louder. To me, that isn't normal. Maybe it's time to ditch the fit....sigh.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gimme
i cant accept it as normal, unfortunately. about September of last year was when i first heard it, and it has since progressively gotten louder. To me, that isn't normal. Maybe it's time to ditch the fit....sigh.

How many miles do you have on your car? What year is it?

Thanks.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
With regard to this noise we are hearing, has anyone replaced the ERG valve? I believe Coyote made mention of this some pages back.

Thanks.

P.S. Has anyone ever replaced the ERG valve?

Quick Reply: Check out this noise