1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Looking at a fit, need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Looking at a fit, need opinions.

Hi, I am looking at a 2007 fit sport for my wife. It has 75k on the clock and really looks to be in good working order. The listing price is 9200, but we will only buy it if he drops to at least $8500. Is that a good price for this car? Do Fits typically have any common issues that pop up at 75k?

I am mechanically savvy, so I have no problem fixing any problems on the car but I just want to know what I may be getting myself into before we take the plunge on a higher mileage FIT. Common sense tells me that its tough to break parts on a car that only has about 110 hp . Please share your opinions. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mchicia1
Hi, I am looking at a 2007 fit sport for my wife. It has 75k on the clock and really looks to be in good working order. The listing price is 9200, but we will only buy it if he drops to at least $8500. Is that a good price for this car? Do Fits typically have any common issues that pop up at 75k?

I am mechanically savvy, so I have no problem fixing any problems on the car but I just want to know what I may be getting myself into before we take the plunge on a higher mileage FIT. Common sense tells me that its tough to break parts on a car that only has about 110 hp . Please share your opinions. Thanks.
The Fit is pretty stout.

75k, huh? Ask about the coilpacks, battery, last oil/trans/coolant flushes and if there has been a valve adjustment performed.

That should about do it.

A nice long test drive should tell you the rest.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mchicia1

1. Check NADA, Kelly, Autotrader, and other online wholesale/retail/private sale for prices, especially on a $9200 car (way too high) with 75k miles.
2. Check Carfax for whatever information is available.
3. Verify that OBD check shows zero codes. If you have to, spend the $50 at advance or other autopart stores for a good OBD code reader. Needless to say do not buy a car with OBD codes. Unfortunately, some sellers can erase the codes and at least 25 miles of driving is needed to reshow the codes. so add a stepulation to the purchase that any codes showing up in 250 miles will be repaired for free.
4. Look for signs of modification, such as lowered suspension, body mods. particularly in fenderwells. If possible, check Honda for their information on the car.
5. Look for the usual signs of overreving. clutch slippage, poor oil changes
such as a ridge of oil sludge on your finger when you run it around the cylinder head cover at the oilcap.
6. And of course, on your drive aroind, check for smooth engine, cltuch, tranny, and acceleration all the way to redline. You don't have to slam it out there, but with mechanical experience you can work that out.
Good luck.

Last edited by mahout; 02-16-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the replies...

I test drove the car today and the engine/tranny felt great. The car was clean except the front ground effect had curb rash.

The only problem was that the front brakes definitely need to be replaced. The car would shutter while coming to a stop..classic symptoms of warped rotors. Which makes sense since he said it was the original brakes.

The car was otherwise stock, but one red flag...When I asked him how often he changed the oil, he just said "when the car told me to". So it sounds like he was waiting until the automated message came up on the dash. How often does this message come up? From what I have read, it seems like it waits a very long time to display that message..like 7k+ miles. For me, I always change oil every 3,000.

As for the price...I am having one hell of a time finding anything in the 35-50k range at a decent price. Everything is minimum 12.5. Maybe its because we are only looking at the sport? Cruise control is a big plus for us.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't be concerned about the oil change interval. If he did it reliably when the indicator came on, that would satisfy me. The engineers who designed it knew what they were doing. My '09 Fit has 15,500 miles on it, and I've only changed the oil once (I am using Amsoil synthetic). The indicator still shows 40% life until it needs to be changed again.

My previous 2 cars were both Honda Accords, and I had nearly 200K miles on both of them and they were still running fine when I traded them. I've always changed the oil at about 6000 miles, and that was with regular oil, not synthetic. The Fit is the first car I've used synth with.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
try to get it to 8500 sounds like a pretty good deal... really do a nice walk around... try to take it on a lift if possible. Look for leaks.. I mean these cars really are nice and make great daily drivers for most.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Turbo_Mouse
try to get it to 8500 sounds like a pretty good deal... really do a nice walk around... try to take it on a lift if possible. Look for leaks.. I mean these cars really are nice and make great daily drivers for most.
At me Fit of 2002, right-hand drive run of 190 000 km
In miles it is 118582 miles

Old 02-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Well, every single damn fit we tried to go look at would sell the day we were coming. Now all the fits in the area are just obscenely overpriced...all dealerships too. So we ended up buying this fit for 8900. I wanted to pay no more than 8500, but in the grand scheme of things, 400 isn't that much for us right now. Especially, since our only other car is on the fritz so we need a car right now. Ill porter cable it and see if I can make it look new .

Old 02-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Congrats on the Fit acquisition! Did you ever say what color it is? I hope you and your wife enjoy driving it as much as all of us do our own Fits!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:15 PM
I bought my Honda Certified Pre-Owned 07' Sport MT at 62K miles for $12k out the door, with 2 dealer warranties last month. Just throwing out my numbers so you can use it to compare. Good luck with your buy.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:16 PM
oops just saw that you already bought yours

Old 02-25-2011, 07:19 AM
i bought my 07 fit sport a month ago. it had 99,991 miles. i paid $8800--$10,300 out the door. i got he dealer down 3500 of his list. agreed, anything with less than 75k miles was in the 15k range.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by mahout
4. Look for signs of modification, such as lowered suspension, body mods. particularly in fenderwells. If possible, check Honda for their information on the car.
5. Look for the usual signs of overreving. clutch slippage, poor oil changes
such as a ridge of oil sludge on your finger when you run it around the cylinder head cover at the oilcap.
I'd have a mechanic look for these two in particular... Have a good mechanic check for signs that someone was doing lots of silly mods, slamming the thing around like a pretend Lancer Evo, and then trying to get all his 'investments' out of it by returning it to stock appearance.

It shouldn't be a huge problem for a Fit vs. a Civic SI or the like - I'm guessing you'll find one that's either been an around town runabout, or a commuter car, and with 75,000 miles on a 4 year old car, it sounds more like the latter.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The fit is the blue color (not sure if there is more than 1 blue).

I felt like the car was a very good deal at $8900. I could tell it was unmolested and it was driven by an older gentlemen and one owner. Completely, 100% stock. No way we were going to find a better deal than this and the guy was only 1 mile from our house, which was very convenient. The paint had some medium grade scratches in it...luckily I am a adams polishes addict and have the porter cable 7424xp with all their polishes/pads . I could NOT believe how new the car looks after I polished it. All but one deep scratch and the obvious pock marks on the hood are completely gone! This paint is pretty soft, so very easy to repair.

There is one problem so far...the MPG is definitely not up to par. Luckily, I found two problems.

1) The air filter was very dirty...I replaced this.
2) The tires were only at 24 PSI all the way around. I pumped them to 34 psi.

The oil life says 50% left, but I will probably change this right away well just for peace of mind since I have no clue what is in there.

I am not a mechanic but I am pretty car savvy..,I have been around engines my entire life and actually do some side work working on chevy v-8s (the LSX variety). With that being said,this car looks extremely easy to work on, so thats a big plus!

I noticed the car does tick at idle, but I believe it could just be the injectors so I am not too worried about it. If the MPG doesn't go up from the tire pressure/air filter, I will adjust the valves.

I am looking to get into a 02-04 z06 for my next car, but after seeing what I have seen from this fit, I may end up picking up a very high mileage one for my DD to go along with the vette .

Last edited by mchicia1; 02-27-2011 at 12:20 PM.