1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2008 Honda Fit door and ignition locks

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:49 AM
2008 Honda Fit door and ignition locks

About 3 months ago I had to have the drivers door lock replaced as the tumblers in the lock stopped working, now I have to have the ignition lock replaced as it will no longer turn.
I am wondering if other people are having problems of this nature. My car has 57.000 k.m. on it.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
I've had no problems with the ignition, but my power lock actuator is whining once or twice a day. A'course, I installed keyless entry on my GD3 not long after I bought it so I can't comment on the lock cylinder itself.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ernie Hartt
About 3 months ago I had to have the drivers door lock replaced as the tumblers in the lock stopped working, now I have to have the ignition lock replaced as it will no longer turn.
I am wondering if other people are having problems of this nature. My car has 57.000 k.m. on it.
Yes, exactly the same problem here, both with the handle and the ignition. My mechanic told me that Honda circulated a memo to their dealers about this problem.

Apparently they started using a different metal for the keys, which doesn't rust but does corrode, and the corrosion caused a build-up of a powder-like substance which eventually causes the locks to jam. They have a special lubricant that they supplied to Honda dealers and the dealers are supposed to apply it to the locks as a part of routine maintenance. Of course, if you do the maintenance yourself (or have a non-official Honda dealer do the maintenance), this doesn't get done and the locks eventually jam.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement Fit ignition lock??

Old 03-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Wow right on time.
I just had my car towed to a locksmith company this morning..
He said he's seen this a lot in the Hondas.. not really the Fit.
Anyway he said my main key caused the cylinder to break so he's currently fixing the ignition cylinder. Crossing my finger he can fix it or else it'll be pita to order a new cylinder and fix it...

Don't go to dealership.
They quoted me $820 for parts and labor to replace the entire assembly. And also $125 for diagnostics...so about 1000!!

Locksmith..if best case scenario will be about 140 to fix the cylinder..

keep you updated.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Just got my car back..
they replaced one of the "wafer" of the cylinder. The damaged wafer was due to the tip of my key rounding out due to usage so overtime the wafer wore down as well...
Anyway..

Like i said insure your key is still sharp and if you start to encounter resistance in trying to turn your ignition than visit a locksmith and get another key cut before you run into issues down the road.

and to the Honda Dealership that wanted to charge me 1000 to fix this.. you can take my broken wafer and shove it up your

Old 05-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Exact same story. Car only has 57k and a grand to fix? Ah, no. We've had our door lock fixed twice and now the ignition plus keys. Since when did Honda make such crappy cars. My husband wants to sell it.