1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Problems after disconnecting negative battery terminal

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Problems after disconnecting negative battery terminal

Was working on my daughters 07 Fit this week end where I had a reason to disconnect the negative ground terminal of her battery. After reconnecting it, the radio needed a code entered to work. Since she is the second owner of the car she does not have an owners manual or other document that came with the car nor does she know what the code might be. Can any of you help with this problem?

Last edited by kchusker6; 11-28-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: fix wording
Old 11-28-2010, 07:38 PM
dealer?

The honda dealer can find that out for you. Look closely through what vehicle docs she has for something looking like a honda business card.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kchusker6
Was working on my daughters 07 Fit this week end where I had a reason to disconnect the negative ground terminal of her battery. After reconnecting it, the radio needed a code entered to work. Since she is the second owner of the car she does not have an owners manual or other document that came with the car nor does she know what the code might be. Can any of you help with this problem?

Radio Theft Error code!

Now sometimes this happens when the battery dies too. Occasionally all you need to do is pull the terminals hold them together for 10-15 sec and then re-attach them to the battery. Make sure there is good contact and that the terminals are tight because a voltage drop can cause the code even upon putting in a new battery.

If that doesn't help, apparently Honda can let you register free online and retrieve your reset code.

American Honda's online code retrieval back to top of this page

American Honda has just added no-charge online radio/Navi code retrieval to their Ownerlink site and to a separate dedicated site. You may now retrieve your radio or Navi code via your computer.

American Honda Ownerlink is here: https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com. You need to log in and register your car. It would be very wise to register your VIN as well.

The dedicated site is here: https://radio-navicode.honda.com/

An excerpt from a Honda bulletin announcing this new feature:
The Parts & Service Operations Division launched an online anti-theft code retrieval tool for radio and navigation units on the Honda brand site, as well as Ownerlink on April 10, 2008. This site is for owner use.

Online anti-theft code retrieval will be available to the customer Monday thru Friday from 4:00am - 9pm PST and Saturday and Sunday from 4:00am - 6:30pm PST.

With the radio/navigation codes available online, customers no longer need to make a dealer visit or a call to American Honda each time their battery is disconnected. While this tool is specifically targeted at improving convenience for the customer, we are also committed to security and protecting customer information. Customers will have three attempts to authenticate their VIN + Phone + ZIP before being locked out of the system. They will then have to resort to the traditional method.
American Honda's site also gives information on how to find the serial number card that came with your radio and Navi. For those who are unwilling/unable to use the online information American Honda is now providing, the rest of this page should help you get your radio/Navi working again. So keep reading...
The radio or NAVI has stopped working - the radio security code

There is a little card in the Owner's Manual under Anti-Theft with the code on it. If you can find that it might save you some time, but I know you said she was not the original owner.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...g2.html?cat=27

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 11-28-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
There is a sticker in the glove box with the code on it.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
There is a sticker in the glove box with the code on it.

Probably not. Only a few have that sticker.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kchusker6

Use the net to get the code retrieval method. It involves activating the radio and pushing two station selects like 2 and 6 then reading the code in two stages.

The code is printed on the radio itself if all else fails but that requires removing the radio. Never could figure why that is when the code is intended to foil thieves.
good luck.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Probably not. Only a few have that sticker.
I can only speak for mine, it does.