1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

TPMS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:40 AM
TPMS Issue

I recently purchased a '08 Fit Sport with 38,000 miles. Certified by Honda. I installed my XM radio right away as I like my music. The TPMS light came on and off several times. Never indicated a particular tire was low. Then the light stayed on. Took it to the Honda Dealer and they said it was interference from my XM causing this. So I really didn't believe this but I relocated my XM radio to another place higher up and out of the way of where the so called TPMS receiver is located. Bingo light came on again. Another trip to the dealer. Light reset and told again it was interference. I am more skeptical. I had a civic coupe with the same XM radio installed and no issue like this ever.

So my question is: Has anyone else ever had any sort of issue of the TPMS light coming on and off with no tire issues? And had it stayed on? And what was the resolution?

Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Mine came on the other night. It was cold, around 32F. We were in the mountains. After a short time of highway driving it went out. The next day I checked the pressure when the tires were cold and found them about 2 psi low, but above 30 all the way around. I run mine a little high since I drive many highway miles.

I have sirius, and have worked in and around the audio industry for the last 20 years and have never seen interference like that. It could be possible that there is something voltage or ground related that could have caused the problem, but I wouldn't think that. I will admit that with the amount of electronics associated with newer cars anything is possible.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Any other opinions???

Old 11-14-2010, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
First and foremost, are the letters "TPMS" lit up or the flat tire light which look something like this (w) ["W" is supposed to be tire tread] lit?

If the letters are illuminated, then there is a fault with the system. Since its an intermittent issue, it could possibly be a loose or damaged sensor if the tires have been ever been replaced. If the flat tire light is on, then one of your tires is under 28 PSI and needs to be aired up to its recommended pressure.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:53 PM
It is strictly the TMPS light not the tire light. And I don't buy the interference bit. Was curious if anyone else has had some sort of similar experience?

Old 11-15-2010, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
I suppose it is possible that RF interference would cause an intermittent light. Have you tried taking the XM unit out of the car and seeing if you can replicate the issue?

Oh, and the TPM System in the Fit does not indicate which tire is low, BTW.