1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

under front seat powered subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:40 PM
under front seat powered subwoofer?

I searched and read NUMEROUS posts regarding subwoofers and the fit. Didn't find the answer I wanted! Is their a powered compact (understatement!) subwoofer that will fit under the GD3's front seats? I'd like to integrate it with the stock head unit. I'm old and don't want/need to wake the neighbors. I measured the room under the front seats on the GD3 and am perhaps asking for the impossible. I'd like the unit to be out of sight and want NOTHING mounted anywhere noticeable. The utilitarian aspects of the fit are of paramount importance and anything that would impede that is unacceptable. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
no, the gas tank is under the seats. there is no clearance for a subwoofer.

best place to mount the sub is passenger side of the hatch area. yes, you will see it, but a good audio shop can make a fiberglass/carpeted box that will blend in like its meant to be there. be prepared to pay $$$$ though.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
The other option is one for the spare tire well. You can either build one to fit inside the spare (which is very limiting) or remove the spare and use the whole well. I removed the spare and built my enclosure in the well. The factory cover fits over it and you can still use all of the space in the hatch.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 PM
limited options

I measured and some of the thinnest subs might fit under the passenger seat. It'd be pushing it though. Crutchfield has a $599 enclosure that looks nice for the passenger side cargo area but I don't want bass THAT bad ($$$). Some of the fitfreak spare tire area installs I saw came out nice but I care more about the fit's functionality than bass. I was just checking options. My 85 MR2 had a small subwoofer under the driver's seat and I just thought there might be some workable alternatives. I really don't want to impair any of the fit's hauling abilities or the magic seat's options. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to settle for what I've got or search on. ALL ideas are appreciated!

Old 09-27-2010, 09:53 PM
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...subwoofer.html

That might be an option for something compact, though not under the front seats. There is very little space under there.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 PM
passenger side rear

Originally Posted by Occam
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...subwoofer.html

That might be an option for something compact, though not under the front seats. There is very little space under there.
I did some measurements and that Blaupunkt might fit barely in the cargo compartment on the passenger side. It'd be flush enough to be tolerable. Apparently it's discontinued so it's going to be in short supply. It got good reviews too. Not a huge thumper but good bang per dollar and per cubic foot.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Building an enclosure to fit in the side panel wouldn't be any harder than building one for the well, except you'll just have to be careful with the panel flexing as you build up the layers.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
IMO, this is your best option. pricey, but it will look OEM.
Honda Fit Stealthbox by JL Audio

Old 09-28-2010, 05:29 PM
same as crutchfields

Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
IMO, this is your best option. pricey, but it will look OEM.
Honda Fit Stealthbox by JL Audio
That's the same one crutchfields offers. If it were $200 I'd consider it but $600. Not happenin. I'm reluctant to start fabricating from fiber glass. My first attempt would look like my FIRST ATTEMPT. Thanks again everyone for your ideas.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
have you tried looking up the JL tr series subs? They are very thin but i dont know about what the performance of them could be. Planning to put on a W3 in the trunk since i cant use the spare n e ways.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
well youve got about 3 inches of depth under the front seat at best.
not to mention the seats move (the sliding mechanism hangs lower) and will make that 3ish inches even smaller depending what position the seat is in.

if you are able to find a subwoofer that fits in that space and has enough room for movement (excursion), let alone a powered sub (even more space required) and that it doesnt overheat....id be VERY suprised.

i see your only options as,
1. spair tire well, might require removing spair tire
2. custom box for side of hatch (made by car audio shop)
3. overly expensive JL hatch side box

Old 09-29-2010, 10:36 AM
I'll throw in my 2 cents since I have been debating the best way to improve sound on the Fit as well without affecting the funtionality...

IMO if you don't want to replace the stock head unit or carry a sub behind the back seat the only way to improve the sound is to get an amp and improve the speakers in the doors. You should be able to find a couple componant sets and do the front and back with a 4 way amp for a reasonable price. That won't be the same as a good sub, but it should sound way better than what you have now.

I've had enough flats before that I am not going to roll without my spare tire, and that JL sub is ridiculously priced, and I am with you on the fabricating with Fiber Glass... besides having no experience, I also don't have the time and energy to deal with it.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Waffling!!

I'm leaning towards the Blaupunkt amplified sub that should fit discreetly in the hatch area (passenger side). The child in me wants to go apeshit and spend big $$$s but I need to act like the rational adult that smartly chose the fit. The Blaupunkt won't wake the neighbors but that wasn't what I wanted anyway. I measured under the seats and the SW would have to be at most 2 and a half inches thick which is impractical. The Blaupunkt got good reviews but is discontinued so I can't stall forever. Thanks again to everyone for their ideas/input. The Fit is ABOUT practicality and I can't mess that up without greatly diminishing the car!