1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

HEaders+Exhaust HELP needed... !

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:04 PM
HEaders+Exhaust HELP needed... !

Hi guys, I'm thinking of modifying my exhaust + headers. I'm new to modifying performance wise so can you guys help me which part i need to make this modification work?

Headers : what parts do i need? i know i need the header itself... the "mid-pipe", the cat (although i heard that the stock is fine too).. what else?

Exhaust : The exhaust is just bolted onto the mid-pipe right? oh and the hangers clips hang onto the car? correct?

lol.. please don't flame me too much for being too newb.. haha, some good advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

Ps: also note which header+exhaust system that are known for working best on the jazz.. or fit. I'm in australia so i have a jazz. L13A.

Sorry one more thing, I am not looking after cheap replicas or aftermarket products.. Something trustworthy, genuine and strong. Also i'm not looking for a exhaust system which is going to wake the whole town up. Perth is a small town, and the polices over here is pretty strict about how loud your engine is.. I'm just looking for a deep sound which isnt too overexaggerated.. thanks guys

PS: i posted this on the exhaust system part of FITFREAK, but i thought this had to be one of the most viewed forum. thanks

Old 09-18-2010, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
From the cylinder head back you have the header, catalytic converter, Mid (or B) pipe and the axle back pipe with muffler... I cant advise on which header to use because we don't have the L13A engines here... The stock cat and mid pipe are okay on a stock engine with an after market intake and filter... There are many choices of pretty axle back pipes to choose from or doing it on the cheap side by having a local muffler shop fabricate one with a suitable muffler and exhaust tip of your choice... Only the JDM whores will know the difference and you have a large choice of mufflers and tips to choose from... You have room for a 30" glass pack muffler and that would provide a very low pitched very mellow sound with much less restriction than most louder axle backs on the market... Anything larger than 2" pipe will hurt your performance.... I know this is not what you are looking for but it will do everything a high dollar pipe will except make your wallet thinner and there are a lot of other things a guy can use the money saved for.... I have been to Sydney and know how important beer drinking is down under.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:08 PM
ok... I'm gonna need a car dictionary just for that coyote.. lol.

Ok first things are first.

Catalytic converter is located right at the junction of the header and B pipe or is it also a pipe like structure that conjoins the header and the B pipe? ( i also heard that jazz has 2 of these??)

the axle back pipe is which one exactly? I don't understand where it sits according to this picture below

Also what do you mean by a 30" glass pack muffler? ( no idea)...
and why would a 2" pipe hurt my performance? too much airflow?...
Also what do you mean by how important is beer drinking is down under? ahaha fyi i don't drink.

Also anybody mind telling me how a "center pipe" EG below is going to fit exactly on the GD1?

As you can see im very confused. lol if any1 have a diagram of the stock jazz exhaust system please do let me know. Thankyou in advance!

Old 09-18-2010, 03:12 PM
OH! the midpipe or center pipe or B pipe goes through the muffler and the catalytic converter yes?...

Does that mean we have to change the muffler + catalytic converter too if we want to change the mid pipe?...

Old 09-18-2010, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Just to add visual add with clickable links to what Texas Coyote said...

The section between the cylinder head to the front flange of the cat is the header.

From the front flange of the cat to the rear flange is of course the cat, it can be substituted by something known as a test/straight pipe or cat delete.

From there you have the longest section of piping which is known as the B (or Mid)-pipe. They can come in either one piece or two piece sections and typically has a resonator in the piping.

And following that is the axle back. This section is connected to the end of the B-pipe, contains the muffler portion of the exhaust and the exhaust tip itself.

Here is a good undercarriage shot of an exhaust system. From back to front (right to left in image) you will see where the axle back connects to the B-pipe and where the B-pipe connections to the cat/testpipe.

For changing any of the exhaust piping, it is not mandatory to change section "W, Y, or Z" if one were to only change section "X". In other words, if you decided to change B-pipes you could do so and still use the factory header, cat, and muffler. You will just have to get new gaskets (if not included) for the end of the cat and B-pipe to ensure that your exhaust doesn't leak.

In addition to that, you can mix and match the exhaust components as you wish as long as they have the correct piping dimensions (length and bend wise). So essentially, a person can have an exhaust that has a DC header, T1R test pipe, A-Spec B-pipe, and Spoon N1 Axle back or some other configuration of components.

Last edited by Hootie; 09-18-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
Hootie, you never cease to amaze ....

Old 09-19-2010, 05:02 AM
Holy shiz... that just explains everything! Hootie you should be a lecturer in mechanical engineering or something. hahaha you explain so well! hmmm i have one question though..

You see that "center pipe" picture i posted earlier?.. how come it has no resonator?.. is it suppose to be like that? or can the old resonator be used or something? that pipe is just a straight line.. which has no resonator, that's why i was bloody confused at the start, because some picture has a resonator, and some dont? for the center pipe that is..

And also to clarify, the jazz's catback system is 50mm yes?
Does any1 know what header fits a L13A?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member
Ha, thanks guys.

Regarding the titanium B-pipe, I honestly don't have a clue why it doesn't have a resonator. I'm assuming that either this pipe has designed maintain the best exhaust velocity as possible while keeping exhaust gas turbulence to a minimum or they could not find a titanium resonator that would achieve the results the manufacture was looking for. In addition to that, if there was a non-titanium resonator that reached their flow demands it would not work with the pipe because two unlike metals will not have a total molecular bond which will eventually cause the res's weld to break as the pipe is heated and cooled (due to different heating and cooling characteristics). I'm leaning towards my first assumption though.

I'm not sure, however; some exhausts state the diameter in the name like T1R's 50s, others don't like Skunk2's Megapower catback which is 60mm. What ever they are, they usually list the pipe diameter in the description.

The same goes for headers, the majority of the headers I've seen on here are for the L15A1s (the VTEC engine). What you may have to do is find a parts listing for headers and match part numbers with a GD1's and GD3's number.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Yeahh... thats what im kinda doing. also im gonna ask the manufacturer if the headers fit the L13A or not... is the engine for L15A bigger? i mean of course its bigger, but i mean does the part that the machine goes into the header is also bigger or what? cause if its the same then it should just fit... but if it's bigger then it is a different story. lol.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:10 PM
awesome Hootie! great info! +rep for you on that one!

Old 09-20-2010, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lungfish23
awesome Hootie! great info! +rep for you on that one!
I have finally repped enough people that I was able to hit Hootie with another one.