1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

CR-Z? Not for Me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
CR-Z? Not for Me!

Went to the Honda dealership today to (finally!) have the window switch recall completed..relatively painless, except it took 90 minutes!! While waiting, had a chance to peruse the new CR-Z. The interior fit/finish was exquisite! Really had a quality look to it. However, being 6'4" there was a problem w/ headroom; legroom, however was okay. It sits lower than the Fit.
The exterior didn't exactly thrill me, nor did it turn me off. The biggest turn off was the dealer add ons!! A rear spoiler that you had to really look for to see @ $535!! A rear diffuser, that admittedly improved the rear look @ $350!
All told, the CR-Z w/ navi and $2,000+ of dealer add ons stickered @ $25,635!! To quote Motor Trend magazine: "We're wondering who the CR-Z's audience is." Well, sadly, six-speed notwithstanding, it's not for me.

'07 VBP Sport 5 MT w/ minor appearance & comfort mods!!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Yea the CR-Z is really growing on me. Haven't had a chance to see one in person yet though. Being 6'4" also and always having driven smaller cars I'd like to see how this compares to my previous rides.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
I can imagine the accessories for that car are marked up like crazy by the dealers seeing as how I used to see Fits with Honda wheel locks marked up to over $100...

Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 PM
And that's why they are called the stealership lol

Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 PM
i saw one in person today...i was impressed and disappointed at the same time. stub the nose a bit more and lower the rear roof line and they would have had me. pictures don't do anything for the car, seeing it in person gives a completely different perspective on it.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:53 PM
I've only seen them in the magazines, but the sticker price is a little steep for my taste, given the car doesn't make that much more power than the Fit.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fittmann
To quote Motor Trend magazine: "We're wondering who the CR-Z's audience is." !
I loved it when I first heard about it years ago and spotted the original @ the auto show too. But after Honda released all the info for the production version + pics too, I don't care for it anymore. Even though long ago I bought a new CRX Si. If the CRZ does find a buyer I believe women who want a hybrid sportier than a Insight or Prius will buy it.
ORIGINAL SHOW CAR

Old 09-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I was not much impressed unitl Honda Tuning previewed the Mugen CRZ- yup - I'd drive this one:

Cat

Old 09-03-2010, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not interested in the CR-Z being a poor man's Tesla. Especially since when it first hit the public in its concept days, I read articles like this Honda CR-Z Hybrid Concept Car Too Awesome to Be a Honda
And thought to myself that it could get way more MPG than the Prius. The problem was Honda wasn't telling anybody then that they wanted to explore this new niche in the market. I wonder if they even tried taking any consumer surveys before they hatched the idea of a hybrid sport? Especially since from what I've seen around here and elsewhere not many people care for it. Although they can still reach the chickmobile crowd who might love it, and probably doesn't post on any of the car boards that I or anybody else does here.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
Oddly, I happened to be in my Honda Dealership for the inaugaral 1st Oil and Filter Change. I have to admit it went well, and they only charged me $17.00 for this first service. BUT....they also had a Honda CR-Z nearby and being fascinated by Hybrids I couldn't help but take a look.

First Impressions. Looks very unique and pretty sporty. Overall I like it. However, the hatchback area, seems very shallow, almost like a 1st Generation Insight, which IMO makes it pretty much a Sporty Hybrid two seater. Which isn't all bad...but the MPG's are less than 40 for both City and Highway? Well to me, I need a little more utilitarian function, and for the investment, I'd want better gas mileage.

I think the market is for someone who wants a "Hybrid" but also want's a sports car. Maybe that exists? But for my money, since The Fit get's very near the same MPG's and has much better cargo capacity and also IMO is fun to drive? Why should you pay 5000 to 10000 more?

The new Insight has taken some heat for not being big enough. But from what I saw, the Insight has a much more functional hatchback capability and at least a useable backseat.

I applaud Honda for creating a Sports Car Hybrid. And maybe it would all be about driving experience. But I don't know if there is too much of a market for that incarnation yet.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 AM
I am not impressed with the CRZ. I like the exterior, seats and the dash but its not great as far as the perfromance. We test drove one yesterday. It's a nice looking car but I will choose the Fit over it.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:40 AM
That car has an amazing interior...

...but that's about it...
Drives rather sluggishly even with a pretty sharp CVT (with simulated gear ratios for sport shifting) gets pretty bad mpg for a hybrid, pretty bad performance for a sporty car... who is the audience? Someone who wants a car that does nothing well in particular?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Old 09-08-2010, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
CR-Z pulling 0.83g on the skid pad and snaking through the slalom at 61.4 mph. -- Edmunds
Thats slower than either generation Fit.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
If the Si version ever comes out, I thibk its gonna be a sick car!

Old 09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
6'3" and I felt fine in it, plenty of room. The car itself (in black) is definitely a nice ride, the interior would have me sold if I were a commuting 20 something single guy and needed something that could just "be" in traffic. The seats are damn nice too.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by honda2112
6'3" and I felt fine in it, plenty of room. The car itself (in black) is definitely a nice ride, the interior would have me sold if I were a commuting 20 something single guy and needed something that could just "be" in traffic. The seats are damn nice too.
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the Fit's interior leaves a lot to be desired. So it's nice to hear the CR-Z's interior isn't bad, although somewhat gimmicky looking too. I'm not sold on the rest of the package though.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:58 PM
BAF
I test drove the 6 speed and the CVT EX on Monday, and I was quite impressed. More leg room than my 07 Fit, and it felt like it had considerably more power. Surprisingly, the CVT felt more responsive and peppy than the 6 speed, and gets better gas mileage to boot. Unlike the Insight, the A/C will stay on at a stop light, unless you are in ECO Mode, then it kicks into recirculate and the compressor shuts off with the engine. Unlike the Prius and Insight which were designed for fuel economy, I believe Honda intended the CR-Z to be more like the Lexus 450h which utilize the electric motors more for boost to the gas engine than as the primary drive motors. In sport Mode, I found it quite easy to squeal the tires from a standing start! The instant added torque of the electric motors really make a difference off the line. And, unlike the Prius, it likes to run and feels willing and nimble off the line. Handling is brisk and very Fit like. Right now the price is too high, but in just the past two days I have seen the price drop from $500 off MSRP to $800 off MSRP. Invoice is approximately $1000 less than MSRP, so it may not be long before deals can be had at below Invoice. It also does not appear they are flying off the lots like Honda anticipated, and there are many more in route, so I'm betting prices will begin to drop more as they start stacking up on the lots... An EX w/Nav for $20K or less would be a good deal...

Last edited by BAF; 09-08-2010 at 09:01 PM.