1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the comfort of the driver's seat on 1 or more hours trips
comfortable
27.64%
could be worse, could be better
47.15%
uncomforatable
25.20%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Unhappy with seat comfort

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by screwdgie
I'm really thinking about picking up some Recaros out of an Evo 8. They were the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. Has anyone done this? And is it possible to lower the seating position at all? I hate how high I feel while driving this beast lol.
Did a Recaro SRD seat swap from a DC2 Integra Type R.

I used BRIDE RO-type rails to mate them to the car - those rails lowered the seating position by 1".

I've had this combination for a full year already. So far so good.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feddup
needs adjustable lumbar support, higher side bolsters and a few more inches of rearward travel (I'm aware that magic seat functionality would be impaired WHEN the seat was extra far back). The GD fit's worst flaw is by far the seats but I still love the car. I wish someone would refine perfectly and post a DIY seat further back mod! I still love the car even with marginal seats.
I don't know why people say it's better in the GE fit. We have a GE fit and I still have the exact same complains as yours. This and the lack of 6th gear.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:22 PM
looks?

Originally Posted by broody
I don't know why people say it's better in the GE fit. We have a GE fit and I still have the exact same complains as yours. This and the lack of 6th gear.
I think the GE's seats LOOK better! I have no idea how it feels.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I find that my lower back and the outer side of my upper thigh of my left leg tend to hurt on long drives. Mostly my lower back. Im 6"2 and sit slightly leaned back and rather close to the wheel, so maybe thats why. But to me the stock seats are too stiff after an hour or so. Around town or regular daily driving I rarely notice it however.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by broody
The GE Fit's seat has just as short of a squab as the GD...no improvement on my only real comfort-related issue with the car.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
100+miles to and from medical appointments are rough on me but I'll keep on taking pain pills and get some thick sheep skin seat covers like I got for my wife's Forester one of these days or maybe buy an used Cadillac for when I am really hurting bad.... I have to get rid of some of my old junkers first or my wife will never stop raising hell... Come to think of it all of the women that I ever had in my life were always raising hell or keeping me broke.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:22 AM
I added this to the "2010 Fit Seats are Terrible" thread; one of the issues I find is that my legs splay out to the sides a bit more, and the lateral support is a bit lacking toward the front edge of the seat.

My solution was to add a bit to the cushion in those areas.

The seatcover is attached via clips to the frame (you can see one of the white clips above). Unclip these, and you can peel back the cover. The layer of foam that sits directly on the seat frame; you can stick wads of material (I used an old tube sock... clean, of course!) to add bulk. I also put a bit more at the corners, and a thinner layer along the leading edge. It takes VERY little to make a huge difference; don't be surprised if you add too much and have to go back and remove some.

I'm slowly but surely transforming it into a really comfortable car! Hope this helps anyone still having issues with this: it made a WORLD of difference for me.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
That looks like a great idea....I'll bet that a pair of dirty old government issue green wool boot socks removed from a Marine grunt after a 52 day stretch in the jungle would work better than a clean pair of tube socks that were surely made in a communist country.....

Old 09-29-2010, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
That looks like a great idea....I'll bet that a pair of dirty old government issue green wool boot socks removed from a Marine grunt after a 52 day stretch in the jungle would work better than a clean pair of tube socks that were surely made in a communist country.....
Maybe... these boot socks were issued, and I like the surely communist-made fancy socks they sell at the BX better than the issued ones. (I'm Air Force... issued socks always chafe when I prop my feet on the ottoman)

Old 09-29-2010, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member
We were issued rain suits that were labeled "Made in the Republic Of China" that were just larger versions of those worn by the NVA that were made in the "Peoples Republic Of China".... You were much wetter wearing the things than if you weren't... Wool socks are great with jungle boots and dried out minutes after wading through a stream or rice paddy.... There isn't much shade on an airbase.... I always thought about that when I was tangled up in vines and being sucked dry of blood by leaches and mosquitoes under triple canopy jungle, where it was at least shady.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
I added this to the "2010 Fit Seats are Terrible" thread; one of the issues I find is that my legs splay out to the sides a bit more, and the lateral support is a bit lacking toward the front edge of the seat.

My solution was to add a bit to the cushion in those areas.

The seatcover is attached via clips to the frame (you can see one of the white clips above). Unclip these, and you can peel back the cover. The layer of foam that sits directly on the seat frame; you can stick wads of material (I used an old tube sock... clean, of course!) to add bulk. I also put a bit more at the corners, and a thinner layer along the leading edge. It takes VERY little to make a huge difference; don't be surprised if you add too much and have to go back and remove some.

I'm slowly but surely transforming it into a really comfortable car! Hope this helps anyone still having issues with this: it made a WORLD of difference for me.
For those of us with Clazzios it would be a simple matter of putting a sock between the Clazzio and original seat. Did I say simple? I seem to recall the joy of getting those Clazzios on especially the squab bits.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Piled the miles on my Fit

My conclusion if you are a shorty like me 5'2" -- the seats are comfy as can be.
I did not have one ache after riding an average of 9-10 hours a day on my 2 week 4500 mile trip across country and I am old !!!
I did stop every 3 hours or so to walk around and stretch my legs. I doubt I could sit for more than 4 hours at a stretch in any car.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
My wife is just under 5 feet tall and says the seats in our GD3 are perfectly comfortable for her... I can usually cover a lot of miles before having to take a break by just driving fast.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:00 AM
I'm a big dude (6' tall 270lbs) and I drive my Fit between 3,000-4,000 miles per month for work. It's a 2007 base model 5spd.

I've been experiencing my first bout with sciatica due to spending so much time in my Fit's tiny seats. I don't fit inside the side bolstering of the seats, so it makes me sit at an angle, or scooted forward to be comfortable. I just bought a small lumbar pillow that helps a little bit, and I also ordered a cruise control kit for the car. I'm hoping that the cruise will allow me to move around a bit more on long trips.

The next option is going to either be different seats or a different car. The pain from the sciatica is terrible. I like the Fit (and the great gas mileage) but if it puts me in pain, it's gotta go. I'm also on a diet

Will seats from a Civic or Accord fit, and would they be any better?

Old 12-26-2010, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
Sheepskins, sheepskin boots slippers rugs skin care Check these out.... I have a really screwed up back and sciatic pain for over 45 years. These things lift you up and allow you to tilt the seat back without having to drive with your arms stretch to reach the steering wheel.... The throttle spring fix thread by Polaski also helps by letting you rest your foot on the accelerator instead of straining to hold the ball of your foot off of it.... I have a thinner sheepskin cover on the drivers seat of my Fit but put some of these plush motheroos in my wife's Subaru Forester and I love being able to stay in the drivers seat for 5 hours or more at a time comfortably..

Old 12-26-2010, 02:29 AM
I don't know how similar the structure of the gd and ge seats are, but I've fought a long battle with the design of my seats.

The padding is very soft, and somewhat thin. When I sit in the seats, I can feel a metal bar inside the frame that pushes against the outsides of my thigh. I have dones some modifications to make it more comfortable:

- using a hammer to bend down two metal tabs on the underlying frame that seem designed to stab you in the sides of the thighs
- adding strategically placed pieces of terrycloth to the seat to reshape the support, between the seat surface and the clazzios
- raising the front of the seat with washers as shims, and slightly longer bolts to compensate
- adding shims to the bolts mounting he accelerator pedal to reangle it, moving it a bit closer to the firewall.
- as mentioned above, the clazzios greatly improved things by allowing the addition of extra padding where desired. Even without extra padding, they have a bit if extra foam and add a bit of cushioning.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:37 AM
(I removed all of the extra layers under the cushions when I added the clazzios. The cushions don't sit right in the frame otherwise.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
I got the DC5 type R seat as my driver seat and im very comfortable.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:51 PM
little mods

I performed the GD3 seat rail mod (it's here somewhere) that allows 2 more inches of seat travel and added lumbar support. It's better but still not perfect. Our cars are NOT Mercedes!

Old 12-27-2010, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by feddup
I performed the GD3 seat rail mod (it's here somewhere) that allows 2 more inches of seat travel and added lumbar support. It's better but still not perfect. Our cars are NOT Mercedes!
My most comfortable vehicle was a 2003 GMC Sonoma pickup that I snagged for $12,500 brand new. It doesn't take a Benz to be comfortable.

I have a pet theory that all car seats have an ideal occupant size, and the further away from that size you are, the less comfortable you'll be. 8+ way power seats allow greater tweaking, and can widen the bell curve, but no amount of adjustment can widen it to fit everyone.

I get the impression that perhaps the "ideal" prototypical driver that was used to sculpt the seats and pen the maximum seat travel was probably not a long-limbed American of northern European descent..

Quick Reply: Unhappy with seat comfort