1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

coolant tank empty

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
coolant tank empty

ok so I have an 08 fit mtf with 46k that I just got a few weeks ago, and my wife has an 07 fit autopaddle..... we both got our coolant flushed by honda within the last few thousand miles and both our coolant overflow tanks are empty.... anyone else with this issue, or any solutions, or should I not be worried as it may be normal for these cars?? Any insight, solutions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Take 'em back to Honda. Coolant overflow should not be empty. Leakage signs, sweet smell of coolant? Somethings not right.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:43 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i'm gonna place my bet that whoever flushed your radiator at honda didn't properly bleed the air out when they refilled it (lazy). so as the air bubbles out, your overflow reservoir's coolant fills in the space in the radiator, and the reservoir tank becomes empty.

i'd say just fill the reservoirs to the proper levels and keep doing so every day or 2 till the level stabilizes. if you don't smell burning coolant (sweet smell) or leaking coolant on the ground, it's probably just the honda tech's fault that your reservoir is empty. it should stabilize after 2-3 refills (about a week of driving, as long as you're not just driving 1-2 miles per day).

you could bring it back in and let them do it for you, but i personally would rather just do it myself since the techs are incompetent if they couldn't even flush and refill your coolant properly.

pls let us know if you get the problem solved and what it was! good luck! (fingers crossed that i guessed right haha)

Last edited by doctordoom; 08-27-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by cakacon
ok so I have an 08 fit mtf with 46k that I just got a few weeks ago, and my wife has an 07 fit autopaddle..... we both got our coolant tank flushed by honda within the last few thousand miles and both our coolant overflow tanks are empty.... anyone else with this issue, or any solutions, or should I not be worried as it may be normal for these cars?? Any insight, solutions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Excuse me for the disturbance but me too had an issue with the coolan tank/reservoir. What I did was that I took it directly to a dealer (no even where I bought it) and they replaced engine bolts (recall) and the resevoir for 20 bucks. However, this issue gets back time after time. What might be the issue on this? Is it really the reservoir or other parts being affected. Anyone else here could explain the thing behind.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
I'm with doctordoom on this one in thinking that they didn't bleed the system. You could top it up yourself but then you'll have to buy the coolant. I say take it back.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ktyler
... this issue gets back time after time. What might be the issue on this?
Aside from the problem mentioned above (improper coolant system bleeding after the system is opened for any reason), you could be losing coolant from a loose joint on any of the coolant hoses.

What makes this sometimes difficult to pinpoint is that the coolant will seep out during engine warmup. But when the joints finally expand from the hot coolant, they stop leaking and the telltale drips dry up.

It's not uncommon for the joints to seep over time. That's why a coolant level check is part of routine maintenance.

As stated, sometimes the culprit is a loose clamp...sometimes its a rough casting at a hose...

Best way to troubleshoot is to have a tech apply coolant system pressure (1.1 BAR?) to a cold engine and determine if any leaks can be seen.