1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

The WTF Happened to Apex's Engine Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
The WTF Happened to Apex's Engine Thread

short answer is: i don't know...

here's the story:

Originally Posted by apexanimal
cursed at it...

#4 coil pack somehow broke its mounting point and split therefore leaving my wife running on 3 cylinders...

now i'm trying to track down a coil pack in time for a drive from pa to michigan tomorrow...

*not pleased*
Originally Posted by HOLY FIT!
oh drats, was it just the plastic on the coil that broke where it mounts? pull it out and epoxy it for the time being?
^ the plastic broke, but then the rubber tube leading down to the plug ripped and the "wire" was disconnected...

it's now towed to the local honda dealer awaiting further action...

*still not pleased*
hooowww does that even happen?
^don't know...

mother-f---er...

just got a call from the honda dealer telling me that they ordered a new head for the car... :shock: WTF?!?!

i asked what happened and they said that they're not sure yet, but it's the first time its happened on a fit in their dealership... it's covered under the powertrain warranty but wtf... i just don't get how this happened...

i'm just in shock right now... :sad: :sad:
hollyyy efffff, keep us posted man, this may deserve its own dedicated thread!
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Wow. That sucks...sorry to hear.

Be real interesting to hear from the tech what let go and how and what's up with the head. How long will it be tied up? How long was it on 3cyl??
only a couple of miles i think... my wife drove it just far enough to get off at the next exit...

i'm going to quote all of this into a new thread...

soooo... the new head will be in on monday or tuesday... and the repairs will take another couple of days... this being the car we were supposed to drive to michigan tomorrow... so the ptgt got prepped for the long trip in its stead...

the dealer said the warranty covers it (thank god), but they don't know what happened yet... which seems odd... i'm just in shock that the head needs to be replaced... i just want to know what happened...

more info as it comes...

Last edited by apexanimal; 08-13-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Subscribed out of fear lol

My guess is the plug popping the threads in the head and busting up the coilpack, although you'd think that would have enough force to spit the whole mess out of the tube.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:26 PM
I would want to arrange a trip to the dealer to seee the head or pictures of the head BEFORE removal to understand why they are removing a cylinder head due to a cracked coil pack... that sounds pretty suspect to me.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by polaski
Subscribed out of fear lol

My guess is the plug popping the threads in the head and busting up the coilpack, although you'd think that would have enough force to spit the whole mess out of the tube.
good thought... still odd that the plug would do that in the first place if so...

I would want to arrange a trip to the dealer to seee the head or pictures of the head BEFORE removal to understand why they are removing a cylinder head due to a cracked coil pack... that sounds pretty suspect to me.
unfortunately with our timeline i'm not going to get the chance to do that... i'm going to ask for a pretty thorough explanation once i get back... i'm knowledgeable enough that i'll know if i'm being b-s'ed...

but if you heard what it sounded like when it was running, you'd probably understand why the head was suspect...

i dunno...

Old 08-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Can't say you're being too duped, considering that warranty is gonna foot the bill on this one. A good explanation I would say is deserved. I just hope they gave it a VERY thorough inspection and saw something that looked pretty bad before they said "hey this one broke a spark plug boot and coil pack. Let's pull the head!

Or maybe, they found the spark plug broke off in the head, and they're afraid to drill it out without getting shavings on top of the piston or something. That would be a worthy head-removing cause. Keep us posted!

Old 08-14-2010, 06:28 AM
Haha dude... your poor ride... well at least aint a cent comin outta your pocket hey? , i mean it wasnt your fault in the first place, its only fair that the warranty covered it. Glad to know your wife is allright and the car didn't do anything crazy when the 4th cyl blew up! Keep posting

Old 08-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Were you running different plugs? Either way the warranty covered it, but I would love to know just what went down there.....

Old 08-18-2010, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
oem plugs... probably due for a change-up...

Old 08-21-2010, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rubixdimension
Or maybe, they found the spark plug broke off in the head, and they're afraid to drill it out without getting shavings on top of the piston or something. That would be a worthy head-removing cause. Keep us posted!
initial reports point to a winner ^

the service writer said that the plug broke or something... i'm assuming the plug threads stripped out...

i'm picking it up on monday so i hope to have a more full explanation then...

more to come... again...

Old 08-22-2010, 07:30 PM
I figured it had to be something like that. They can be tricky to remove, and if you don't get everything out when they break, you can have piston failures almost instantly.

Glad you're getting it back! Hope it runs like new!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
^ it better run like new...

i hate... really loathe when other people work on my cars...

Old 08-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Me too, lol. Warranty definitely has it's pros and cons that's for sure!

They'll get it right, if not, take it back. Then it's on the dealer, and warranty has nothing to do with it. Ask to have a tech ride with you while YOU drive it YOUR way. If you notice any sounds, clicks, bumps, or anything, then you can identify what sounds different to you. It's not their car, they don't always know how it sounded before or after. I'm guilty of doing that to customer's too. They bring it in for an unusual noise, and since it's not mine - I can't hear anything wrong.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
well the engine is fixed... i think...

but it was broken into last night on the dealer's lot...

the drivers side door is all f-ed up from some jackass trying to crowbar the handle off...

when that didn't work the asshat just bashed in the passenger side window...

the little shit then opened the hood and cut the neg batt cable, and then went to town trying to take our alpine headunit...

he didn't get it...

in another thread, i noted that the internal metal brackets weren't designed to go with the aftermarket units, but i went ahead and retrofitted it so that it was a more cohesive unit... these brackets hold the hu/cc to the supports in the dash... and that's why he didn't get it...

but he managed to completely f up the dash in the process...

so what do we get for this?

a 500 dollar deductable for a duche bag trying to steal a 350 dollar hu...

the car was broken into near limerick, pa... if anyone hears of anything let me know... a police report has already been filed...

Old 08-23-2010, 03:24 PM
OMG that effing sucks! Sorry bout your luck there man, hope the dealer is at least trying to make it right for you.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
well the little fucker finished the job... he got the radio...

oh the rain of fury that is about to be unleashed upon the dealer and the insurance companies will be an epic story told down through the generations...

Old 08-30-2010, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
WHAT!!!!!!! He came back the next night and took the radio. After you filed a report? Honda should have put the car in the garage. Do they not have cameras on there lots?? WTF!!

Subscribed, Sorry for all your problems!

Old 08-30-2010, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ciggy
WHAT!!!!!!! He came back the next night and took the radio. After you filed a report? Honda should have put the car in the garage. Do they not have cameras on there lots?? WTF!!

Subscribed, Sorry for all your problems!
thanks man... no, they came back the following week...

they should have put it in the garage... that's what i'm pissed about... no cameras, and we even talked to the gm about it and got what i expect - "well we hope you still bring your car here" crap...

whatever...

Old 08-30-2010, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Step 1: Replace radio
Step 2: put car on lot looking all brand new
Step 3: Put up tent in lot
Step 4: use binoculars to spy on your car
Step 5: Hurt, Dismember the little shit that try's to take your new radio by braking your new door.

I hope insurance covers most of the damages.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:56 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Unbelievable story. I'm really interested in knowing what happened to cause the cylinder head replacement. But now you have this whole breakin thing - not once but twice! I think I'd consult a lawyer about your options vis-a-vis the dealer's culpability.

I know the dealer - they're the folks who reneged on their offer when I bought my car in 2008. I had been working with a salesman there, really liked him, had a price that was acceptable; I went there basically to sign the papers and he pulled the deal off the table. He said 'the manager' (you know, the mystery man they always have to run in the back to see) told him they couldn't sell it at that price. So I said I was sorry and that I was going to buy my car elsewhere, and the salesman freaked out on me.

Last time I ever set foot in the place.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb
Unbelievable story. I'm really interested in knowing what happened to cause the cylinder head replacement. But now you have this whole breakin thing - not once but twice! I think I'd consult a lawyer about your options vis-a-vis the dealer's culpability.

I know the dealer - they're the folks who reneged on their offer when I bought my car in 2008. I had been working with a salesman there, really liked him, had a price that was acceptable; I went there basically to sign the papers and he pulled the deal off the table. He said 'the manager' (you know, the mystery man they always have to run in the back to see) told him they couldn't sell it at that price. So I said I was sorry and that I was going to buy my car elsewhere, and the salesman freaked out on me.

Last time I ever set foot in the place.
Lol, the salesman was mad at you? You should have been the angry one.

Apex did you get a full explanation of the work they did to the head? I know it was be a garbled mess now with this vandalism crap but we are all very interested.

Now that you need a dash you mite as well go right hand drive rite

Quick Reply: The WTF Happened to Apex's Engine Thread