1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Honda told me not to change my oil...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
... otherwise run hard in the mountains.
I like the sound of that.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Better gas is the reason that you can go 10000 plus miles on oil. Lower sulfur in oil and gas keeps the oil clean. Long trips is the best for engine life even if oil has 5000 miles on it as long as the oil if full. It burns off all the impurities and filters the oil completely and viscosity remain the same with no engine wear. I cant believe I am saying this, I have no problem leaving oil in that long. I think oil life is also based on what gasoline is used too. More saturated hydrocarbons in gas means less carbon deposits and cleaner oil. Synthetics are good for turbos, lots of stop and go, and dusty conditions (server driving). Anything else its a waste of money. If you look what M1 is factory fill it High output motors. I think the new gf5 oil are going to last even longer.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 PM
So my driving profile is telling the MM when to change %_oil life. Long hauls are good things for the engine. One hour?

Old 08-23-2010, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Yes because engine oil temps are constant and viscosity's dont change and additive dont wear. You still have to check the oil level but if oil level is not dropping than the oil is not wearing. The first (factory fill) oil will drop because the extra additives forms a coating on parts and oil level will drop.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
MM is probably based on engine hours 250 hours times 40mph average= 10000 miles, it based on that. Its probably 300 engine hours.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
MM is probably based on engine hours 250 hours times 40mph average= 10000 miles, it based on that. Its probably 300 engine hours.
No no no. You undersell the MM. Revs temps starts runs all contribute.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Yes because engine oil temps are constant and viscosity's dont change and additive dont wear. You still have to check the oil level but if oil level is not dropping than the oil is not wearing. The first (factory fill) oil will drop because the extra additives forms a coating on parts and oil level will drop.
Bull. Oil level doesn't drop because the oil is wearing out or coating parts, but because it's leaking past something -- generally the piston rings. Oil usage should be expected to be higher on a new engine because the rings haven't fully seated, and let small amounts of oil past. As an extreme example, BMW motorcycle engines have extremely hard cylinder linings, and are notorious for using a quart or more of oil in 1500 miles when new. Once the rings seat fully (which may take 20-30,000 miles) they use very little oil.

Although Honda hasn't disclosed to us, the MM appears to take into account a combination of number of engine rotations, temperature changes, and perhaps throttle positions -- all things that can be measured by a computer. A five mile commute in Anchorage in the winter is going to run down the MM % much faster than cruising coast to coast and back in 10 days at 60 mph with 75 degree weather. Real world driving is somewhere between the two extremes.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
No no no. You undersell the MM. Revs temps starts runs all contribute.
My wife has the same car with the same mileage, she drives like a race car driver and getting 25 average mpg in suburban driving the MM is the same as mine.50 percent. I get about 40 mpg and mostly highway and drive to get the most mpg.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
Bull. Oil level doesn't drop because the oil is wearing out or coating parts, but because it's leaking past something -- generally the piston rings. Oil usage should be expected to be higher on a new engine because the rings haven't fully seated, and let small amounts of oil past. As an extreme example, BMW motorcycle engines have extremely hard cylinder linings, and are notorious for using a quart or more of oil in 1500 miles when new. Once the rings seat fully (which may take 20-30,000 miles) they use very little oil.

Although Honda hasn't disclosed to us, the MM appears to take into account a combination of number of engine rotations, temperature changes, and perhaps throttle positions -- all things that can be measured by a computer. A five mile commute in Anchorage in the winter is going to run down the MM % much faster than cruising coast to coast and back in 10 days at 60 mph with 75 degree weather. Real world driving is somewhere between the two extremes.
The oil additive mostly zinc and sulfur, phosphorus turns in to ethanol and the zinc coats the bearings. There is 15 percent additives in oil and would be about 1 qt lost in an oil change. As far a sealing of the rings and Pistons are shot with molybdenum disulfide
Ion plating on piston rings
Plateau Honing
For a tighter seal and no oil burning. I will inform you next oil change but the way I see it its a time thing. My wife uses regular and beats on her car with lots of idling and I just drive my car to get the most mileage, 90 percent highway. The longer the motor is on the better the oil is, no water and gas in oil and since there is lower sulfur, no sulphuric acid buildup to wreck the bearings.

If oil gets past pistons it would ruin the motor and emission system very fast and would not last as long a Honda motors usually does. Oil has a very low octane and would destroy the motor. Most of the blow by that a pvc system picks up is fuel and water vapor.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 08-23-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
The oil additive mostly zinc and sulfur, phosphorus turns in to ethanol and the zinc coats the bearings. There is 15 percent additives in oil and would be about 1 qt lost in an oil change. As far a sealing of the rings and Pistons are shot with molybdenum disulfide Ion plating on piston rings
Do you have ANY evidence whatsoever for this, especially the incredible claim of 15 percent additives? Large amounts of phosphorus will wreck a catalytic converter, which is why levels have been dropping for the past decade.

Other additives

In addition to the viscosity index improvers, motor oil manufacturers often include other additives such as detergents and dispersants to help keep the engine clean by minimizing sludge buildup, corrosion inhibitors, and alkaline additives to neutralize acidic oxidation products of the oil. Most commercial oils have a minimal amount of zinc dialkyldithiophosphate as an anti-wear additive to protect contacting metal surfaces with zinc and other compounds in case of metal to metal contact. The quantity of zinc dialkyldithiophosphate is limited to minimize adverse effect on catalytic converters.
There is no conceivable way for the elements zinc, sulfur, and phosphorus to turn into ethanol, which is made entirely from hydrogen and oxygen.

If oil gets past pistons it would ruin the motor and emission system very fast and would not last as long a Honda motors usually does. Oil has a very low octane and would destroy the motor. Most of the blow by that a pvc system picks up is fuel and water vapor.
If the rings do not seat properly, they cannot perform this [sealing] function and will allow excessive amounts of oil to accumulate on the cylinder wall surfaces. This oil is burned each and every time the cylinder fires. The burning of this oil, coupled with "blow-by" induced engine breathing, are reasons that an engine that hasn't been broken in will consume more than its share of oil.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
I made a typing error I know that there is about 15 percent additives and zddp in a smaller amount in ppm, I am not perfect and after being up 18 hours I am entitled to make a typing error. Look at my other posts on oil I said 15 percent additives. (plural) ZDDPlus™ - ZDDP Additive for Classic Cars - Agricultural Equipment & More for an understanding of oil.

I cant find the exact quote but an engine is a furnace and there is chemical reactions going all the time. There is hydrogen and oxygen and carbon present in the motor too. Did find ethanol remark in those chemicals under extreme heat. The person basically said that phosphorus and sulfur dont have any thing to do in the formation of the zinc coating which is formed under extreme heat and pressure the sulfur and phosphorous basically turns to ethanol and carriers zinc to the steel parts and forms a protective barrier. Hence the term extreme pressure additive.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
I made a typing error I know that there is about 15 percent additives and zddp in a smaller amount in ppm, I am not perfect and after being up 18 hours I am entitled to make a typing error. Look at my other posts on oil I said 15 percent additives. (plural) ZDDPlus™ - ZDDP Additive for Classic Cars - Agricultural Equipment & More for an understanding of oil.

I cant find the exact quote but an engine is a furnace and there is chemical reactions going all the time. There is hydrogen and oxygen and carbon present in the motor too. Did find ethanol remark in those chemicals under extreme heat. The person basically said that phosphorus and sulfur dont have any thing to do in the formation of the zinc coating which is formed under extreme heat and pressure the sulfur and phosphorous basically turns to ethanol and carriers zinc to the steel parts and forms a protective barrier. Hence the term extreme pressure additive.
Excluding viscosity improvers, parts per million is the customary unit of measure for oil additives, which gives some idea of the extremely small amounts involved -- orders of magnitude less than 15%.

There used to be 1,400-1,500 zinc ppm in [passenger-car] motor oils, about where [Shell] Rotella [diesel-truck] oil is now.... Zinc accumulation mainly affects oxygen sensors and catalytic converters, which are very sensitive to the ash that may accumulate on them.
Unless you believe in alchemy, there is no reaction known to modern chemistry that would transmute the elements sulfur and phosphorus into ethanol (which is made up of the elements hydrogen and oxygen). This is basic junior high science, maybe even elementary school science.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
I cant find the exact quote but an engine is a furnace and there is chemical reactions going all the time. There is hydrogen and oxygen and carbon present in the motor too. Did find ethanol remark in those chemicals under extreme heat. The person basically said that phosphorus and sulfur dont have any thing to do in the formation of the zinc coating which is formed under extreme heat and pressure the sulfur and phosphorous basically turns to ethanol and carriers zinc to the steel parts and forms a protective barrier. Hence the term extreme pressure additive.[/QUOTE]

I dont know where I saw this but I miss understood it. I apologize for giving info with out researching it better. I dont mind being wrong but this is not even close. I like this website because usually there is good info and I dont want to mislead no one.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
I dont know where I saw this but I miss understood it. I apologize for giving info with out researching it better. I dont mind being wrong but this is not even close. I like this website because usually there is good info and I dont want to mislead no one.
One of the liabilities of public forums like this is the feeling that the whole world is watching. I've made a few howlers in my time.