1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Accident - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
Accident - Need Advice

I got rear ended on 6/24. To date, the person who hit me has not contacted their insurance company (21st Century) to admit that she was at fault. I left 6 voice messages on her cell phone have not received a response. My situation doesn't help that the 21st Century adjuster has been a complete ass and clearly doesn't care whether or not he receives her call. I notified my insurance company and they're also trying to contact her. I talked to my friend who's a cop and he said that since it's a civil issue, the police can't do much about it. I don't want to take this to small claims, but I will if I have to.

Have any of you had a similar situation? Any advice? Thanks!

Old 07-15-2010, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
call their insurance. not the local office, but the 1800 number.

your insurance company should do all the leg work. i got rear ended a few months ago and i called my insurance first. they called the other company and did all the connecting of dots.

sorry to hear about your luck. i got rear ended for the second time yesterday afternoon by a semi truck.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I've contacted her insurance company but they haven't been any help. I talked to my insurance and they're trying to sort things out.

I hope your damage isn't too bad. Fit+Semi does not sound good.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:21 AM
sorry 2 hear about ur unfortunate probs. did u file a police report and get all her info. call ur insurance get an estimate send ur car in 4 repairs then ur insurance is suppose 2 chase her insurance comp. 4 reimbursement thats wut we pay insurance 4

Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by blackfity
Yeah, I've contacted her insurance company but they haven't been any help. I talked to my insurance and they're trying to sort things out.

I hope your damage isn't too bad. Fit+Semi does not sound good.
Document each call. Time/Date/Subject. Insurance Companies are slippery. Keep on it. Submit registered return receipt claim letter. Don't need no stinking form. Really no need to get your insurance involved.

Police Report?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 AM
What solbrothers said.
its your insurance companys responsibility to get payment from her insurance company.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:21 PM
As the above poster said, you shouldnt be doing any of the leg work. Your insurance should take care of everything as long as you gave them the details. No need to go after the other party yourself

Old 07-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitting_In
As the above poster said, you shouldnt be doing any of the leg work. Your insurance should take care of everything as long as you gave them the details. No need to go after the other party yourself
well said. only thing the OP should worry about is where you want to get your car fixed... hopefully you have some recommendations from a friend or shop owner, etc. dont let centry 21 choose the bodyshop.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by force2fit
sorry 2 hear about ur unfortunate probs. did u file a police report and get all her info. call ur insurance get an estimate send ur car in 4 repairs then ur insurance is suppose 2 chase her insurance comp. 4 reimbursement thats wut we pay insurance 4
If only it were that easy. According to my insurance company, I would need to pay for the deductible and rental costs (I don't have rental on my plan) initially and then get reimbursed if/when the person who hit me admits to being at fault. The claim would be documented as a no-fault accident, but I would have to pay money out of my pocket. The auto insurance system is completely flawed.

Unfortunately, no police report and no witnesses, but I have ALL her info. I've started documenting every call.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
paying dedictable initially is normal process. keep your rental car receipts so that you can be reimbursed later by the other party's insurance. tell your insurance that it was the other party at fault if you know you did not cause the accident.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
paying dedictable initially is normal process. keep your rental car receipts so that you can be reimbursed later by the other party's insurance. tell your insurance that it was the other party at fault if you know you did not cause the accident.
The last time I was rear ended, which was about 5 years ago, the OP admitted they were at fault so I never had to pay a deductible. The same thing happened to my wife and she didn't pay either. If the person who hit me does not contact her insurance company and confess, then I'm stuck with the bill. There's too much risk for me to pay upfront. Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:47 PM
The last time I was rear ended, which was about 5 years ago, the OP admitted they were at fault so I never had to pay a deductible. The same thing happened to my wife and she didn't pay either. If the person who hit me does not contact her insurance company and confess, then I'm stuck with the bill. There's too much risk for me to pay upfront. Anyone else have any ideas?
If the person that hit you does not contact her insurance company, your insurance company will contact her insurance company and will tell them what has happened. Just let your insurance company do the work. You got rear ended. It's pretty hard for the person who hit you to fight that it was not her fault. You got nothing to worry.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Fitting_In
If the person that hit you does not contact her insurance company, your insurance company will contact her insurance company and will tell them what has happened. Just let your insurance company do the work. You got rear ended. It's pretty hard for the person who hit you to fight that it was not her fault. You got nothing to worry.
Well said, like he said, my cousin just hit someone's rear end a couple of days back, i had to help her with the police report and everything. She admitted she was at fault, but you have to look at it this way. What your car show is pretty justified. I'm guessing it didn't happen in a parking lot? because if it did, there's a possibility that they(insurance company) might think you REARed back into her instead of the other way around. You didn't mention where it happened, and im hoping it's not in the parking lot, but it's must take a retard to reverse on a suburban area or even highways (no offence intended). In conclusion if this happened at a round about or intersection where there's possibly no chance that you're going reverse then it's almost impossible for the person that hit you to go against what happened(what you told your insurance company). You can use the "location" of where it happened as evidence... Other than that, bad luck man I'm sorry to hear wat happened to your fit ..
Hope all goes well for you

Old 07-16-2010, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the feedback. The accident occurred on a street and not in a parking lot. It's pretty obvious that I didn't reverse and hit her so hopefully this will get resolved soon. Thanks again!

Old 07-16-2010, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
I got rear ended on 6/24. To date, the person who hit me has not contacted their insurance company (21st Century) to admit that she was at fault. I left 6 voice messages on her cell phone have not received a response. My situation doesn't help that the 21st Century adjuster has been a complete ass and clearly doesn't care whether or not he receives her call. I notified my insurance company and they're also trying to contact her. I talked to my friend who's a cop and he said that since it's a civil issue, the police can't do much about it. I don't want to take this to small claims, but I will if I have to.

Have any of you had a similar situation? Any advice? Thanks!

First do you have a police accident report? If not, you may have screwed yourself. That report clearly should indicate the fault ( including contributory negligence on your part) That report MUST be first thing any driver should initiate in any accident; call the police to come to your accident asap. usually 911.
With the report, take it to your insurance company and file a report (which you should have done as soon after the accident as possible even without that report)
Drivers in an accident need to be aware that it is your responsibility to report an accident; not the other driver. Make sure you get other drivers drivers license number, vehicle serial number, vehicle description, driver description, other drivers insurance information, and some idea of the damages. A camera is a good choice for documentation
if you have no 'proof' of the accident your other driver can easily avoid any responsibility by ignoring you. After all, what proof do you have? Lets face it we live in a society that believes in not taking responsibility.
Don't count on some CSI investigation either unless you want to pay for it, a lot for it!..
And if thats the case, you can expect to have your Fit repaired under your deductible section (with you paying the deductible).
Sorry, but I bet your insurance company gave you a list of things to do when you have an accident. Read it again.
Memorize. And good luck.

Last edited by mahout; 07-16-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:30 PM
great notes mahout!

I'd like to add, on one occasion, the police told us they weren't coming out because they do not write up reports for accidents that happen in parking lots. I'll never let this happen again- I'll tell the dispatcher that "I think I smell alcohol"- I bet a cop will be there in less than 2 minutes.

As to the OP- if the repair cost is greater than the cost of your deductable, meaning your insurance company pays the remainder of the bill, then you better believe your company is going to go after her insurance company.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Just to add a note here:

I got rear ended a little while ago, only damage to the bumper cover (no frame damage) - to have the bumper replaced, repainted etc the estimate came out to just under $700.
Go through the other person's insurance, your own insurance company will fight for you if they are not complying. I think the term is subrogation, but if it comes to it your insurance will fight in court to get payment for your repairs.

Keep EVERYTHING pertaining to the accident well documented. Photocopy everything, keep notes, etc. You want as much evidence on your side as possible. Don't be afraid to keep calling the other insurance company as they are the ones who will be paying for your repairs, you have to make sure they remember to keep up on your claim.

Last edited by Koi; 07-17-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:21 PM
i got hit a few months ago, i already got my check 2 do the repairs thru my insurance company but i had 2 pay deductible that i was suppose 2 get reimbursed still waiting. Glad i didnt have 2 rent a car and then have 2 wait 2 get reimbursed. so if u can get the rental coverage i changed my policy after that. wonder if u can call it in as hit and run if she is not going 2 comply with her accident maybe u should call her and threaten her with that it was a big mistake not 2 call the cops a police report would help hope u can get it resolved that sucks

Old 07-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Cool Accidents can be a pain

I had some lady hit me and her insurance was Geico and they wanted to spackle my car and not replace the fender, etc.

The lady thought the accident was my fault, and I thought it was hers.

I documented the accident, took pictures of my car and step by step what happened before and after the accident with pictures.

Neither insurance company was particularly helpful, Geico would only fix it wrong and cheap, and my insurance company would make me pay the deductibles, etc.

So I got the car fixed through my insurance company and paid the deductible, and waited forever for the case to go to arbitration which it finally did, and I got my deductible back, but like you I really could not afford to rent a car, and just got by with one car while my car was in the shop.

Keith S. :{)>

Old 07-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
I had some lady hit me and her insurance was Geico and they wanted to spackle my car and not replace the fender, etc.

The lady thought the accident was my fault, and I thought it was hers.

I documented the accident, took pictures of my car and step by step what happened before and after the accident with pictures.

Neither insurance company was particularly helpful, Geico would only fix it wrong and cheap, and my insurance company would make me pay the deductibles, etc.

So I got the car fixed through my insurance company and paid the deductible, and waited forever for the case to go to arbitration which it finally did, and I got my deductible back, but like you I really could not afford to rent a car, and just got by with one car while my car was in the shop.

Keith S. :{)>
Good you stuck with it to the end, many don't and the insurance folks make money knowing that. No rental is curious, however.
K_C

Quick Reply: Accident - Need Advice