1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Accident - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:29 AM
Her insurance company insures her not you. They have no obligation to you at all. Their obligation is to protect her. If she doesn't want their protection and doesn't notify them of the accident you can't expect them to do anything.

Your option is to go thru your own insurance company using your collision coverage or if you take her to small claims court there's a good chance that might motivate her to get off her ass and report the loss to her insurance company.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:28 AM
usually if you get rear ended, the other person is at fault but i hope that you have some proof.

how come you didnt get a police report? and do you at least have pictures?

Old 07-18-2010, 03:36 AM
glad 2 hear u made it out alright geico is a cheap insurance company they dont care wut kinda of repair is done 2 ur vehicle long as its cheap they suck
they'll use really cheap shops and any taiwan parts on ur vehicle long as its cheap
i dont know about u but i wouldnt want aftermarket parts on my car
genuine only unless their custom parts
my damage wasn't that bad and i fix cars everyday so i just cashed out

Old 07-18-2010, 12:14 PM
rule 1:don't sign anything.

rule 2:lawyer up, it is clear she doesn't plan on complying but a friendly letter with a powerful law firm's letterhead may change her tune.

rule 3:never admit any fault. she rear ended you. it doesn't matter if you had passed out at the wheel and slammed on the brakes, she was clearly either not paying attention or following too closely which places blame solely on her.

rule 4:dont wait around! if she isn't complying within a few days of initial contact, she doesn't plan on complying ever. the longer you wait the more work you make for yourself.

rule 5: (optional because she is being a pain) get at LEAST 3 written estimates from the most overpriced shops in your area. if someone is complying with you then i discourage following this rule but because she is inconveniencing you, then she should pay, and pay plenty.

good luck. most accident and traffic lawyers will offer a free consultation and some even only get paid if you win. do your research and be aggressive.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:11 PM
i'd like to add to 5speedwonder's reply

6. you now have back and neck pains and should see a chiropractor after you speak with a lawyer

Old 07-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by phuccer
i'd like to add to 5speedwonder's reply

6. you now have back and neck pains and should see a chiropractor after you speak with a lawyer
lol nice. and as i said before, this is to be reserved for the absolute a*holes who think they don't need to pay for the damage they have caused

Old 07-18-2010, 03:13 PM
If you "lawyer up" for just a property damage claim you'll end up spending a lot of your own money for repairs after your lawyer takes 1/3 of the check you get. I would definetly consider small claims court as it costs you next to nothing but think long and hard before you get a lawyer for something so minor.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
Update: 21st Century (OP insurance co.) called me today and advised me that the person who hit me finally admitted that she rear ended me. 21st is going to take care of all the costs like they should. No money out of my pocket! Next time, calling the cops, getting witnesses, etc. Lesson learned. Thanks again for all of the comments!

Can anyone in the SoCal area recommend a great body shop?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackfity
Update: 21st Century (OP insurance co.) called me today and advised me that the person who hit me finally admitted that she rear ended me. 21st is going to take care of all the costs like they should. No money out of my pocket! Next time, calling the cops, getting witnesses, etc. Lesson learned. Thanks again for all of the comments!

Can anyone in the SoCal area recommend a great body shop?

Congrats to 21st and to you for hanging in there. cheers.
Been so long since I lived in SoCal I'm afraid to recommend the ones that I used. But your local Honda dealer should know as well as your insurance agent who get to field complaints and thanks. Make your request carefully.

Last edited by mahout; 07-21-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by mahout
Congrats to 21st and to you for hanging in there. cheers.
Been so long since I lived in SoCal I'm afraid to recommend the ones that I used. But your local Honda dealer should know as well as your insurance agent who get to field complaints and thanks. Make your request carefully.
Any claims person (adjuster) in the area can tell you which shops are preferred. Don't make the mistake most people make and think because a dealership has a body shop they're better. More than likely that's not true. The best body shops tend to be independently owned.