1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Problem with A/C switched on even Fan Control Dial is OFF

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Problem with A/C switched on even Fan Control Dial is OFF

Only notice this problem yesterday when I was on the highway yesterday with recirculation OFF which allows air to flow in under 100+km/h.

With AC OFF and Fan Control OFF cold air is coming in with outside temperature around 26 degC, incredible.

Then turn on Fan Control at #1, AC OFF and any Non-defrost mode and it is still getting cold air.

Also confirm with AC ON and OFF couple of times and I can still hear the compressor got turned on.

It seems my AC simply won't switch off and got turn on some how in any condition.

Any one having similar problem?

I am considering disconnecting the battery for 20min and let the software on board reset and see what happen (like the engine light trick), any other suggestion?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:37 PM
I spend quite a bit of time understanding what is the AC status and it comes to something completely funny

- When A/C is OFF, Fan Control Dial OFF -> AC turns ON
- When A/C is ON, Fan Control Dial OFF -> AC turns OFF

Somehow the switch logic is reversed and operate independently of the Fan Control Dial (in normal situation the AC won't come on until Fan speed is #1 or higher, but in my case it operates even the Fan is OFF)

Also with the switch reversed, now I only have two mode

1. AC OFF by leaving the AC button ON and Fan Control Dial OFF
2. AC ON with any Fan speed (no way to turn it off now)

Tried every Mode and it makes no difference

Also tried to unplug / plug battery (leave for 30+ min) and also disconnect the Defrost / AC ON plug underneath the panel and still makes no difference.

Wondering if anyone else have seen this problem or I have to visit dealer now...

Thanks in advance

Old 07-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Honda turns the A/C on if you are running the defrost. they want the air to be dryer, no matter the tempature. Try it with the type control set for just vent and see what you get.

Val

Old 07-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, sounds like OP's in defrost mode. then even if the a/c lamp is off, the compressor still turns to give the drier air.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I understand a/c turns on in defrost mode but it got nothing to do with it. It turns on in ANY mode (Front, Front and Leg, Leg only, Defrost with Leg, Defrost only), even with FAN OFF. As long as my A/C switch is OFF it turns on automatically.

The only way I can turn of is to leave FAN OFF and depress the A/C switch.

After monitoring for a week it seems to correlate with humidity, as the last two days the A/C doesn't kick until I drive for about 20min, while previously it kicks in right away.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Thanks a lot for the reply but my problem is far beyond to be believed

Here's one of the setup having AC turn on by itself....notice Fan is OFF, A/C button OFF and Mode is front only.

The compressor kicks in right after engine start (or even at key position 2 with power on only)

The only way to turn it off (but simply enough) is to press the A/C button down, like this.

Sounds weird but it has been happening for the last couple of weeks.

It is now getting less frequent as I can just feel if cold air is coming in when I drive on highway without recirculation.

My brother in law says his 2008 Impreza will do the same if he leaves the temperature to cold, which the A/C will also turn on by itself. Didn't confirm but he might have climate control but it is not available in the 2007 Fit.

Hard to say if I might have it over the last 4 year as I rarely let fresh "hot" air comes in during summer time. Otherwise it will be A/C with recirculation which is cold air anyway. Just happen I found this out when I travel couple of shopping mall close by without A/C, and wondering why cold air keeps coming in while it is almost 35 degC outside.