1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Deciding between two cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Deciding between two cars

Hello all,

Just wanted your advice on a decision I have to make pretty soon.

I have a Honda Jazz SE Sport 1.4 petrol 2002 car that has done around 45k miles with recently newly fitted budget tires and no faults.

I am getting married in 2 months and my partner has a Toyota Corolla registered in 2001 (but a 2000 model apparently) with 70 something thousand miles on the clock. It had a problem with the connection to the starter motor from the key socket which has been remedied with a push switch and a new MOT is being done today including an engine fault (engine light has been on ever since I can remember, but no noticeable problem - so it could just be a faulty light...)

The issue is that we need to sell one of the cars....

She bought her car just over a year ago and I bought mine in September.

I have fitted an aftermarket double din fascia in my car and used a universal pocket to mount a single din pioneer headunit in the top - I still have the stock headunit but I have thrown away all of the screws since the whole unit holds itself in place with no problems. In the process of the horrible job that the replacement is, I lost one of the climate control knobs!!

Recently I replaced the front stock speakers with components by ripping out the OEM speakers and mounting mine in the same bracket - the driver door panel doesnt seem to lock shut, but the screws in the door switch and handle area hold it all together. I have a sub in the boot.

Comparing the two:

1. The Jazz is a rocky ride and my partner complains that its uncomfortable to sit in - I have to agree - the Toyota seems to have a smoother suspension over bumps and more comfortable seating.

2. The Jazz steering feels heavy to move compared with the Toyota which is light and enjoyable

3. The Toyota has a slightly more powerful 1.4 engine (Jazz is pretty much closer to 1.3 and the Toyota has a 16 valve engine also)

4. The Jazz AC seems to have stopped working and the Toyota AC is running fine.

So as you can see, I cannot make my mind up which I should keep

Selling the Jazz:
would have to either sell with the speakers inside, or replace them with stock off ebay and replace the headunit fascia. Would also need to find and install climate control knob and perhaps fix AC - it is due for MOT soon anyway...

Selling the toyota:
make sure it doesnt have major faults

Would like your opinions - if you were me what would you do...

Sorry if this message is ridiculously long!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Would like your opinions - if you were me what would you do...

?????
?????

Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Sell both and get a new car altogether...The easiest thing may be to just pick out a new one together that you are both happy with.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:53 PM
If I were you. I would sell the Jazz.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ztyhurst
Sell both and get a new car altogether...The easiest thing may be to just pick out a new one together that you are both happy with.
Either this, or just sell off your Jazz.

From your post, it seems like your GD1 isn't doing the trick for either of you. Definitely have your Jazz's woes fixed come MOT time.

You can probably make a bit more money selling your aftermarket audio stuff separately. There's a premium on speakers; as far as I can tell they don't really age unless they've been subjected to damage such as flooding. "Old gold" used speakers can be highly prized among audiophiles.

Good luck!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Trade them both in, so one of you doesn't end up hating the other for the reason "my car had to go". I've driven a corolla. Did not like it. Felt like I was babysitting the steering wheel. Kept going everywhere.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 PM
It sounds to mr that u want to trade in the jazz more so do that if I were u I'd get rid of both and get a different car u both want

Old 06-13-2010, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
It sounds like you all ready know which one to sell. All those complaints about the Jazz but no complaints about the toyota. Sell the jazz and keep the toyota and once you can afford another car get one