1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Battery standards?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Battery standards?

I got my oil changed yesterday and they said they tested the battery and in needed to be replaced. They obviously want to sell me a battery.

I went to the Honda dealer this morning and they said the battery was fine. My battery is under warranty, so they obviously do not want to give me a battery.

The car is working fine.

The test numbers were nearly identical.

What should the test numbers on a good battery be?

Thanks!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Go to Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts. They test batteries (and other electrical parts) for free. See what they say.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
I recommend.

Originally Posted by dailyalice
I got my oil changed yesterday and they said they tested the battery and in needed to be replaced. They obviously want to sell me a battery.

I went to the Honda dealer this morning and they said the battery was fine. My battery is under warranty, so they obviously do not want to give me a battery.

The car is working fine.

The test numbers were nearly identical.

What should the test numbers on a good battery be?

Thanks!
Numbers are not exact for testing. Voltages may be identical for two batteries but one may actually be a bad battery. Load testing a battery is usually the best test because it is the closest thing to actual operation. You load the battery down... this mimics the car being cranked by the starter motor and turning over your whole engine. If the battery is good, the voltage will drop during this test but it will rise again pretty quickly once the load is removed... a bad battery will not recover quickly.

Your best method is as the previous commentor said, go to Autozone or some other parts place that will test your battery for free. They will also test your alternator, which is the thing that charges and maintains the voltage in your battery.... a battery may be low because your alternator may be the problem.