1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Z-Max Micro-Lubricant?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Z-Max Micro-Lubricant?

i know that oil additives usually aren't recommended, but i have been hearing and seeing a lot of ads and commercials for Z-Max. and a few friends have said that they swear by it...
was wondering if anyone uses Z-Max, or any other oil additive that really works, for their Fit. and if so, do you recommend it.

i heard that Prolong and Slick 50 (i think that was the name of the product) actually damaged a lot of people's engines and there are lawsuits against them.

i ONLY use Chevron gas and use Chevron's Techron Concentrate every 1,000 miles, in fact the nearest Chevron is about 10 miles away, but i will only use Chevron gas. am i the only one who is nuts when it comes to taking care of their Fit?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Additives will only upset the oils chemistry. You car really screw up the oils "secret blend" Do not waste your money.

go to bobistheoilguy.com

Old 05-17-2010, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
If you are using a good synthetic oil you are doing the best that can be done for the engine.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
That's funny about Prolong and Slick 50. I hadn't heard of the lawsuits. The ad campaigns were pretty convincing, but I never bothered. The only Slick 50 product I used was a competitive product they brought out to WD 40. It worked well, but that was for kitchen hinges.

The only thing going for Z-Max is it's aviation history, and Carroll Shelby's endorsement. But like TC said, use a good synthetic, and you should be all set.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:14 AM
As above, it's pretty much snake oil IMHO. I've seen many oil and fuel treatment and gas mileage products come and go over the years. They're great at marketing, often using results from self-testing or other questionable testing. They usually won't harm anything other than your wallet, though.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Molybdenum disulfide like is used in the break in oil on the Fit is the only proven additive that I feel good about... I have a little book around here somewhere written in the 1950s by a British motorcycle and scooter enthusiast that advocated using an additive with molybdenum disulfide after engine overhauls to extend engine life and reduce friction.... I ran a service station and sold all kinds of additives that I also used in when I serviced my family's cars... A company called Sta-Power had a product that had molybdenum in it that I had put in my fathers 1970 Torino... One of our mechanics pulled the distributor that was somehow on the same shaft as the oil pump, the oil pump was disabled and the car was driven about 6 miles on the freeway in afternoon rush hour traffic before a problem was noticed... The shaft installation was corrected and the car was used for a few more years before it was traded off with no other parts being replaced due to damage....

Old 05-17-2010, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug
As above, it's pretty much snake oil IMHO. I've seen many oil and fuel treatment and gas mileage products come and go over the years. They're great at marketing, often using results from self-testing or other questionable testing. They usually won't harm anything other than your wallet, though.
I wanted to let you know that I bookmarked your website....

Old 05-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I wanted to let you know that I bookmarked your website....
Thanks!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
If you are using a good synthetic oil you are doing the best that can be done for the engine.
i take my car to the Honda dealer to get it's oil changed and they use Honda's Oil..so it has to be good.
and i also use Chevron gas only, which i heard is good for keeping your engine clean as well as the fuel parts

Last edited by ftlmatt; 05-19-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug
I book mark your website too. I like the puregas website and notice that it said to use a gas with 3 points higher octane, already knew that but it nice to see. Thanks SB

Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 PM
The Facts, Ma'am, Just The Facts

Stumbled on this page. I am very familiar with zMAX. The question that started this thread was totally incorrect.

zMAX is NOT an oil treatment.

Everyone assumed it was after that, and dismissed it. IT IS NOT an oil additive or treatment.

zMAX is a micro-lubricant that is TRANSPORTED to the METAL parts of the engine BY the OIL - WITHOUT CHANGING THE OIL.

zMAX penetrates metal. It is not ZDDP or teflon or any other kind of oil modifier. zMAX is the ONLY product that is ALLOWED by the FTC to say that it increases power, increases mileage and reduces deposits in engines. The same product for aviation, AVBLEND, is the ONLY product allowed y the FAA to be put in the oil of piston aircraft engines. Read that last sentence again.

In fact, if you read the MSDS, you will se that zMAX does not contain ANYTHING other than a VERY fine oil - the micro-lubricant - that can do things longer chain oils cannot.

Then do some research:

http://www.zmax.com/documents/zmax-the_facts.pdf

Increase fuel mileage, reduce carbon build-up in engine and valves, better transmission lubrication | zMax Micro-lubricant

Now, to be clear, I have an interest in zMAX for business reasons unrelated to automotive. But I run it in every engine I have. My large truck DOES get better mileage with it, and I have proven that. It is worth a try. For those of you who crack engines open, I dare you to take one with major nastiness inside, and run zMAX for 6 months. Then look at the parts. You WILL see the difference.

Damn, people, this may be the Internet, but before you condemn something as "snake oil" thinking it is an oil modifier, do some Googling!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 PM
It's added to the oil, so perhaps we can be forgiven for calling it an oil additive. I don't rely on a product maker/seller's website for objective research on that product's effectiveness. Speaking of Googling, I found you on a few other forums singing the praises of Zmax. You're either selling it, or really, really in love with it, which is fine, I have products like that (none that are added to oil though).

Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by splashsplat
run zMAX for 6 months. Then look at the parts. You WILL see the difference
Accelerated bearing wear?

I like how all the bottom end components were conveniently excluded from the report.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:53 PM
These days, the ONLY thing you should run inside your motor besides oil is zinc additive. But since no one in the fit world is running a bigass cam and heavy rated valvesprings, we should all stick to oil.

I hate when people try to promote some random additive, and then FAIL to provide COMPLETE evidence of its work.

I heard running horse urine in the coolant makes the motor run 90 degrees cooler. +10 colder if combined with pig blood in the oil

Old 08-09-2013, 12:33 AM
Banned
Dam people this is the internet and people can claim anything they want and it has to be true.