1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

What did you do to the GD Fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
How do you like the product?

Bisi and I had a good conversation at SEMA about boutique oils and their benefits. It was also nice chatting with the Torco guys. Since my shop sells/uses Torco i figured i'd give it a try.
My oil Temps used to be high and the pressure was lower than I wanted when it was super hot outside. Switch to this oil and have had no problems. I'm sure it's just because of weight but works for me so I'm good to go. Costs me around 10-12 dollars a quart. I'm doing oil changes every other track event.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Previc93
My oil Temps used to be high and the pressure was lower than I wanted when it was super hot outside. Switch to this oil and have had no problems. I'm sure it's just because of weight but works for me so I'm good to go. Costs me around 10-12 dollars a quart. I'm doing oil changes every other track event.
Dang every other race event! Thats a lot of oil changes. Yeah $10-12 isn't too bad. The Torco is running me $22 a liter. So i'll be sticking with doing my oil changes every 4-5K or every 6 months the latest.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
Man, oil talk.... at least it's race oil talk :P

With my experience with classic cars, zinc and phosphorus conent is super important! I've been using Amsoil Dominator since I git FlashPro and bumped the redline. Zero visible valve train wear at last valve adjustment and it's staid adjusted through nearly 20K of hard driving and AutoX abuse

Old 11-22-2014, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
Man, oil talk.... at least it's race oil talk :P

With my experience with classic cars, zinc and phosphorus conent is super important! I've been using Amsoil Dominator since I git FlashPro and bumped the redline. Zero visible valve train wear at last valve adjustment and it's staid adjusted through nearly 20K of hard driving and AutoX abuse
Yeah it's reassuring to hear about good engine oil. I have used Mobil 1 in the past and I'm still running it. I just did my last oil change with it because I just wanted to get fresh oil in the car and use up the remaining 4 quarts. This will only be in the Fit for like 500 miles before its drained and filled with the primo stuff.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:10 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
JDM Concepts in Vista.
thats awesome. do you ever have meets at the shop?

Old 11-24-2014, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
NGK Iridums went in. Replaced the E3 diamond spark plugs. Those lasted me since April. The NGK I never changed since owning the car. So safe to say $20 a plug was worth it.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s0x
thats awesome. do you ever have meets at the shop?
It's not my shop sOx. I've known Gabe for years. This is the shop that does my tuning and work on the Fit when i'm lazy.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:47 AM
I fought a F150 and my Fit is ok!

A few weeks ago I posted my wreck with a F150. Insurance totaled the car but I kept it and fixed it.

Donor car - located at Brickyard salvage in INDY. Great business. Great prices and service. Shipped doors and fender fedex freight. Packed it up real nice.

Donor car doors, fender, mirror

My car without its doors

My 2007 Sport Fit with 2008 base Fit doors and fender and mirror.

Just waiting on some quarter window trim clips so I can put the window in and let it cure and some clips for the side skirt.

Notice I got some free pin striping out of the deal. Anyone know how to remove that? Also, these new doors have the raised red plastic molding in the center of the side. Can these be taken off? It appears they are mounted with double sided tape. Anyone have any experience with these things?

Last edited by J Schmidt; 11-25-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Looong time no post!

Removed stock head unit and replaced with a Nexus 7 tablet.

Name:  6RJJHE0.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  736.8 KB

Name:  h11RLiv.jpg
Size:  678.9 KB

Old 11-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Looong time no post!

Very cool!! Where did the trim come from to fit the tablet into the dash?

Old 11-25-2014, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
Looong time no post!

thats so cool! does it replace the radio functions or is it all thru the auxillary port? deeets plzzz

Old 11-25-2014, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
had some stuttering problems the last weeks or so, decided to put in new spark plugs (bosch plats), clean and dielectric grease the coil packs. hopefully that cures the stuttering!

Old 11-25-2014, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GotFitB13
Very cool!! Where did the trim come from to fit the tablet into the dash?
Thanks! The trim is a regular Metra with the double din section cut out. The 1st generation Nexus sits touching the top tabs that fit the trim into the dash, and the A/C recycle switch. I'm surprised it fit!

Name:  aVoakO8.jpg
Size:  688.3 KB

Originally Posted by mr_RogerWill
thats so cool! does it replace the radio functions or is it all thru the auxillary port? deeets plzzz
If you have an aftermarket radio you can hook up the tablet to the radio's AUX and put the deck into the glove compartment or something, that way you can still control it. But since I was still using the stock HU, I didn't want to spend extra money on a new deck. What I did was I kept the stock HU internals and just removed the "faceplate." Surprisingly it's two pieces that attach. I have to keep the faceplate handy for when the car's battery gets disconnected so I can input the radio code and permanently set the input to AUX.

So to answer your question, yes it completely replaces the radio's functions. I'm gradfathered into my Verizon phone plan so I have the tethering on each time I enter the car. The tablet connects to my hotspot and I can stream radio/Spotify/Netflix/whatever from it.

In a nutshell what you'll need:

2012 1st Gen Nexus 7
Autodroid Rom from XDA
USB OTG Cable w/ Charging
USB Extension Cable (so you can plug in a thumb drive or hub)
Right Angle Male to Female Micro USB Cable
Metra Dash Kit (I saw another user use a Scosche)
2.1A Car Charger
Your imagination

Old 11-26-2014, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member

If you have an aftermarket radio you can hook up the tablet to the radio's AUX and put the deck into the glove compartment or something, that way you can still control it. But since I was still using the stock HU, I didn't want to spend extra money on a new deck. What I did was I kept the stock HU internals and just removed the "faceplate." Surprisingly it's two pieces that attach. I have to keep the faceplate handy for when the car's battery gets disconnected so I can input the radio code and permanently set the input to AUX.

So to answer your question, yes it completely replaces the radio's functions. I'm gradfathered into my Verizon phone plan so I have the tethering on each time I enter the car. The tablet connects to my hotspot and I can stream radio/Spotify/Netflix/whatever from it.

In a nutshell what you'll need:

2012 1st Gen Nexus 7
Autodroid Rom from XDA
USB OTG Cable w/ Charging
USB Extension Cable (so you can plug in a thumb drive or hub)
Right Angle Male to Female Micro USB Cable
Metra Dash Kit (I saw another user use a Scosche)
2.1A Car Charger
Your imagination
Awesome!!! Might do something along the lines of this, mostly for a screen to watch stuff on via usb.

So you keep the "faceplate" connected, and placed it in the glove? box?

Old 11-26-2014, 09:46 AM
I don't have the option of Verizon tethering between my phone and nexus 7, but I do use Easytether, which can do bluetooth tethering, but I don't know if they ever updated it to support Kitkat. It worked great for jelly bean.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:40 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by J Schmidt
A few weeks ago I posted my wreck with a F150. Insurance totaled the car but I kept it and fixed it.

Donor car - located at Brickyard salvage in INDY. Great business. Great prices and service. Shipped doors and fender fedex freight. Packed it up real nice.

Donor car doors, fender, mirror

My car without its doors

My 2007 Sport Fit with 2008 base Fit doors and fender and mirror.

Just waiting on some quarter window trim clips so I can put the window in and let it cure and some clips for the side skirt.

Notice I got some free pin striping out of the deal. Anyone know how to remove that? Also, these new doors have the raised red plastic molding in the center of the side. Can these be taken off? It appears they are mounted with double sided tape. Anyone have any experience with these things?
that just appears to be zetas side moulding kit if it is (I'm nearly positive) its just double sided tape.
Also try some heavier rubbing compound on the pin stripe if it's paint. If its vinyl a heat gun will take care of it.

Last edited by s0x; 11-26-2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to add.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
J Schmidt That's sweet that you managed to even get matching replacement panels. For the moldings use a thin plastic panel popper tool to cut through the tape then either peel the rest off or find a rubber eraser wheel. They can be found at any auto parts or auto body supply stores.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:31 AM
I bought new brake pads yesterday. Today it snowed. Garage is full of crap and I can't get the car into it. The universe is against me.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Got another OE sport wheel to make my set complete. Stoked to only pay $90 with the TPMS sensor. New tires are going on tomorrow.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:32 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
Got another OE sport wheel to make my set complete. Stoked to only pay $90 with the TPMS sensor. New tires are going on tomorrow.
Is yours a base? I have a wing for sale if you're interested.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the GD Fit today?