1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

What did you do to the GD Fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
They must have some type of UV protection from the factory that wears off and causes them to become fogged to begin with... Polishing them to make them clear doesn't replace the UV protection so you will need to periodically polish them up again ... My car is kept in a barn and has never needed to be polished out but a GMC pickup truck we have has to have the head light lenses buffed up all of the time because it is parked outdoors... I've tried using spray on products that claim to protect plastic from UV rays with little success... That reminds me, I need to replace a bulb in one of the head lights.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Automotive clear coat with uv protectant might help out. Or perhaps some spf 35 rubbed in every few days. As a bonus your car would smell tropical don't really use sun block

Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
They must have some type of UV protection from the factory that wears off and causes them to become fogged to begin with... Polishing them to make them clear doesn't replace the UV protection so you will need to periodically polish them up again ... My car is kept in a barn and has never needed to be polished out but a GMC pickup truck we have has to have the head light lenses buffed up all of the time because it is parked outdoors... I've tried using spray on products that claim to protect plastic from UV rays with little success... That reminds me, I need to replace a bulb in one of the head lights.
PIAA Intense White bulbs PIAA Intense White bulbs
... Give those a try before putting your HIDs in, they make a world of difference from any halogen bulb I've seen in person to this day. Life span kind of sucks though, about 50 bucks for a pair of H4s and they last a year and 2 to 3 months or so.

I had a set in my Fit at the meet and forgot to install them for the trip home. Couldn't really see worth a flip with the Silverstar Ultras I'm currently running due to that... and all those dang bugs in the woods. haha

Old 08-20-2012, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Installed my Swift springs. Install was easy, I was scared about the axle popping out so I put like 4 bungee cords to keep it from coming. Love the springs so far, need to get an alignment though

Old 08-21-2012, 05:00 AM
They must have some type of UV protection from the factory that wears off and causes them to become fogged to begin with... Polishing them to make them clear doesn't replace the UV protection so you will need to periodically polish them up again ... My car is kept in a barn and has never needed to be polished out but a GMC pickup truck we have has to have the head light lenses buffed up all of the time because it is parked outdoors... I've tried using spray on products that claim to protect plastic from UV rays with little success...
Originally Posted by joey_fits
Automotive clear coat with uv protectant might help out. Or perhaps some spf 35 rubbed in every few days. As a bonus your car would smell tropical don't really use sun block
Thanks for the replies guys.
I'll keep an eye on them and see how they do. Maybe give them another polish when they get discolored again.

We don't get much sun in the UK, so they may be alright, lol.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:43 AM
Banned
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gwapogiko
nothing special..
im bored so put a color on my brake pad..

sorry i just use iphone to take the photo ^_^
what the heck man!??! If there was a way to rattle can with your rim on, YOU would of done it.

smh, for being lazy.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 PM
New Rims :)

Hey guys!

Picked up some Konig Candys the other day. 15s. I'm planning on getting coils soon, or springs; not too sure yet. But here they are!

What do you guys think? I love 'em! Can't wait to lower it....birthday present! (springs or coils, what do you think?)

Last edited by FITdrummer13; 08-24-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Dummer, It's looking good to me... I like the smoked tail light lenses.... If you happen upon some used Swift springs you should get them.. They are an improvement over stock and look nice too.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:41 AM
@Drummer

Ya get that drop and you will be looking great. I went thru a time where I was back and forth between springs or coils. If you get springs you could run into a couple predicaments:

1. It may not be low enough or the stance you want to set those candys off.
2. (from what I've heard) you may find the ride quality/comfort bouncy thus creating a need or want for new shocks/struts
3. The springs may cause excessive wear on shocks/struts

Now coilovers (which i recommend):

1. Depending on the roads you drive they could be too stiff and cause an uncomfortable ride.
2. 3 times the price of springs

But why I like coilovers, there are a range of make/models to choose from that give you more options as far as comfort/stiffness to fit your needs as far as the driver you are and the roads you drive (this may be the case for springs but I do not have personal experience with springs). Also with coilovers you can adjust your height to set off your wheels just how you want. I get the whole student budget thing which is why I say SAVE and BE PATIENT and don't impulse buy just because you want a drop. This is what I did: saved up expecting to buy coilovers and researched a TON whether it be on this forum or others (people on this forum for the most part can be very helpful, that's the point) if you find coilovers will not suit you and you'd rather get springs, you have a lot of money that was set aside now that you can put into fixing your tails or whatever. My point is don't rush it. Buyers remorse is the worst feeling. I hope this helps more than bores you. Some of the ppl on this forum might completely disagree with me as far as what I said about the springs. It's your job to research and ask these ppl there opinions so you can create your own. You can only gain knowledgefrom here, and cross referencing what you hear to filter out the bogus stuff. Good luck

Old 08-25-2012, 06:19 AM
Hey Dummer, It's looking good to me... I like the smoked tail light lenses.... If you happen upon some used Swift springs you should get them.. They are an improvement over stock and look nice too.
Thanks man. I know you're just trying to be supportive, but I appreciate it. I honestly did only tint them because the top of the lens cracked badly and I wanted to make it less visible.

I do sort of like though how the tail lights blend with the paint....for the time being. Looking into getting new JDM eventually, authentic JDM is quite expensive, will worth it when I get a job...maybe.

Okay cool, thanks for the advice. I'll keep my eyes out from swifts, I've heard they're the best springs.

@Muff

Thanks for the info man. Yeah I sort of am looking at the differences of each. I feel like coils might be the choice for me. I'm just having a hard time getting a job, so money isn't easy to come by. I'll save up for them. Just have to get some good ones that offer a good range of drop and good comfort as well. So I guess I should be more patient. I'm just a car nut so I get antsy if I don't have something to work on I get on this forum after school and just spend all day looking through DIYs and mods, repairs, tricks, tips, and discussions. I'm not a college student either so that sort of explains why it isn't as easy for me to find a job...anyways, thanks for the info and your feedback

Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITdrummer13
Hey guys!

Picked up some Konig Candys the other day. 15s. I'm planning on getting coils soon, or springs; not too sure yet. But here they are!

What do you guys think? I love 'em! Can't wait to lower it....birthday present! (springs or coils, what do you think?)
Looking good! I love old school wheels. I might get a new set for my summer wheels too.
What tail lights are those? They look sharp.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Hey guys!

Car looks decent man. The tails are a little to dark for me, but I know why you ended up tinting them.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Plasti-dipped stockies black this time

Name:  145d09c95da0bf628d2e8a100fdc235f.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  196.0 KB

Idk if I like white or black better. I'm thinking of powder coating.

Name:  471b593af70040af52b04f132d562616.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  86.6 KB

Any thoughts?

Old 08-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by jmsplitfyre
Looking good! I love old school wheels. I might get a new set for my summer wheels too.
What tail lights are those? They look sharp.
Thanks man! Me too haha You should the offset and extra 1.5" width from these wheels make them sit flush with the profile of the car, something I have been looking for! They are DEPO jdms I tinted. I only tinted them beause the top blinker portion cracked due to an install error on my part. I know, I know...stone me now :P

Old 08-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by MNfit
Car looks decent man. The tails are a little to dark for me, but I know why you ended up tinting them.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Yeah I feel you. In the right light the tint looks less dark, which makes it look much better in general, imo. Im looking into replacing the tails eventually. Do you think I should buy JDM and smoke 'em, not as dark as these, or just ride stock?

Old 08-25-2012, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks man! Me too haha You should the offset and extra 1.5" width from these wheels make them sit flush with the profile of the car, something I have been looking for! They are DEPO jdms I tinted. I only tinted them beause the top blinker portion cracked due to an install error on my part. I know, I know...stone me now :P
I'm planning to get a set of Rota RB's in 15x7 +35 to replace my Slipstreams that are going to be my winter rims.
I'm waiting for a reply from one of our member here 'coz he's selling his Depo set. Can't wait. Do you have a pic of them lit up?

Old 08-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Yeah I feel you. In the right light the tint looks less dark, which makes it look much better in general, imo. Im looking into replacing the tails eventually. Do you think I should buy JDM and smoke 'em, not as dark as these, or just ride stock?
If you are looking for tinted tails pick up the smoked JDM lights. Depo has a version so you can pick them up cheap.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by MNfit
If you are looking for tinted tails pick up the smoked JDM lights. Depo has a version so you can pick them up cheap.
I might just go that route. Tinting tails without vinyl never comes out right.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Had to retighten the rear damper. I took off the locking collar on the rear and doubled up the front. Well needless to say, it got loose. Some loctite will work this time around. Back to tucking status.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueCell
Had to retighten the rear damper. I took off the locking collar on the rear and doubled up the front. Well needless to say, it got loose. Some loctite will work this time around. Back to tucking status.
Was this regarding the issue you were having with your bags/rear suspension during the meet Sunday?

Quick Reply: What did you do to the GD Fit today?