1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

What did you do to the GD Fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Its been raining everyday for the past week or so... temps been like 70-80 degrees while raining... 90 and up when not or 45 minutes after the rain stops.

I'm gonna see if there is a software update for the Fit's PCM at work Saturday just out of curiosity.
Rain can cause electrical problems especially when the added electrics has wires exposed to the air. I am leaning toward that. You can send that rain up here. My grass is dead and the trees are dying. We are going to have major problems when it does rain.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Indeed, it's rather strange how a simple weather change can do such a thing. You can have the rain... as well as the mosquitoes. The sudden change in humidity is annoying after it finishes raining for a while here. PLUS... I wanna wash the GD sometime this month! haha

Old 07-12-2012, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Indeed, it's rather strange how a simple weather change can do such a thing. You can have the rain... as well as the mosquitoes. The sudden change in humidity is annoying after it finishes raining for a while here. PLUS... I wanna wash the GD sometime this month! haha
You should see what the weather does to my truck. Water gets sprayed everywhere and have electrical shorts to the starter. We now have computers in the trucks and when it humid or rainy the computer does not work right. There is something to a clean car. I washed my car and it ran like new. I guess getting the brake dust off the tires helps.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Oh gosh, I don't even want to think about having to track down an intermittent issue in a big rig. Just thinking of the MILES of wiring and all the modules and whatnot is giving me a headache. haha

Ever have the circuit breaker for your headlights trip off while driving? That happened a lot in my stepdad's 2005 Peterbuilt 379. Usually happens in the rain/mist in mountain areas. Just unscrew two screws, push in the breaker with your big toe, and keep on down the road. LOL

Old 07-12-2012, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
My truck is too new and it has fuses. My old truck had circuit breakers. I would have to check them every stop. The trailer lights and A/C were the two that tripped the most. I do expect major problems in my new truck soon because the truck shuts down after 3 minutes. I must stop and start the truck at least 60 times a day which will cost more than the fuel in a little while. They are complaining about blown turbos and other emission problems but they wont listen to me. I talked to the owner of the shop and he talked to the owner of the company and they finally changed the oil after 600 hours. They wanted to wait until 12000 miles but that would have been 1500 hours which I should have been on the third oil change. They do fleet miles but my truck does not run over the road like my old one.

Your dad has good taste the Peterbuilt 379 is what my goal is. I have a Kenworth which is too big for city pick ups but can be done. Its like driving a bus being towed by a large straight truck.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
My truck is too new and it has fuses. My old truck had circuit breakers. I would have to check them every stop. The trailer lights and A/C were the two that tripped the most. I do expect major problems in my new truck soon because the truck shuts down after 3 minutes. I must stop and start the truck at least 60 times a day which will cost more than the fuel in a little while. They are complaining about blown turbos and other emission problems but they wont listen to me. I talked to the owner of the shop and he talked to the owner of the company and they finally changed the oil after 600 hours. They wanted to wait until 12000 miles but that would have been 1500 hours which I should have been on the third oil change. They do fleet miles but my truck does not run over the road like my old one.

Your dad has good taste the Peterbuilt 379 is what my goal is. I have a Kenworth which is too big for city pick ups but can be done. Its like driving a bus being towed by a large straight truck.
Jeez, it sounds like you got a lemon and a cheap arse of a company owner! Eh, the 379 was ok... in all honesty my stepdad and I weren't really impressed with the truck. Compared to his 1998 Kenworth T800, it didn't pull nearly as well (both 13 speeds, KW had 3.93s and the PB 3.55s) and wasn't equipped nearly as well. In addition to that, it had all kinds of issues soo it may have been a lemon. Anyway that truck was ditched long ago for a 2008 or 2009 KW W900... so much better.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
The turbo problems was because of the new fuel and oils with the 3 minute shut off. The problems are with multi tractors with in the fleet. Engine temps are the issue. The new oils and fuels are missing the sulfur that is needed. My mpg is way down compare to years ago and with less idling. The government thinks they are saving fuel and cleaning the air but the opposite is happening. When my exhaust regenerates I lose a mpg. I am averaging 4.4 mpg. Highway trucks are losing .5 mpg from 6.3 to 5.8.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:49 AM
nothing at all! :P

Old 07-15-2012, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Installed BC racing coilovers
Name:  e5382efd.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  130.7 KB

Disappointed they didn't go low we pulled the set nuts out front and back. Then that night our local team got together for a shoot and here are two of the fit.
Name:  f3ce7270.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  e81faeee.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  53.6 KB

Next up is wheels. Trying to decide if I want to do the 5 lug swap now that my buddy has his press and CNC up and going the drilling and pressing would be simple and I have 5 lug mesh wheels already or just a 4 lug wheel set.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
oooo nice how do those BC ride? I had them on my S14 and loved them!

I installed my JDM coin holder on Friday, hardest install ever. I did it sitting in traffic

Old 07-16-2012, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Did a quick Detail, LONG over due!

Old 07-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Switching from ugly chromies the car came with to <11lbs Konig Heliums!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Roy Sivan
Projector Retrofit Swap, Headlights and Fogs

Do you have finished pics?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:51 AM
After repairing my Mugen Lip last week, i have finally had it painted.

Name:  IMAG0191-1.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  100.2 KB

I've got the day off Thursday to fit the Lip and prepare my GD1 for it's 2nd track day.
This time i am off to Croft Croft Circuit Information with my friends from Hondas on Track (HoT).

Can't wait!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
I like those retro fit headlights

Old 07-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Banned
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Remould
After repairing my Mugen Lip last week, i have finally had it painted.

I've got the day off Thursday to fit the Lip and prepare my GD1 for it's 2nd track day.
This time i am off to Croft Croft Circuit Information with my friends from Hondas on Track (HoT).

Can't wait!
so sinister looking grrrrrrrr

Old 07-20-2012, 12:39 AM
sweet! very clean, love it.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
Finally got around to installing my hood damper. The fuse box was a bit in the way. I made a u shaped spacer, loosened the bolt holding the box in place, slipped in the spacer, tilted the box down and it all fits nicely now.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
I need an oil change so I bought a Mugen oil filter with Red Line 5w30 synthetic motor oil.

In addition, I also bought the Mugen air filter. I gotta clean my cabin air filter as well once i get the Mugen air filter in.

Finally, I'm waiting for my JDM A/C vent decals, Spoon blue side mirror glass, passenger (left side for USDM Fits) sun visor, Zoom cf rear view mirror and Modulo chrome meter visor to get shipped in.

Getting closer to finishing my interior.

Once I get all that installed, I gotta get that Ti Mugen exhaust and front strut bar. Xmas is coming early this year!

Old 07-20-2012, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Swapped out that devil of a crankshaft pulley. It's a weight!! I'm considering buying a second and creating a dumbbell. The new pulley is the T1R. Fantastic. A definite noticeable improvement in response and power. (knowing that pretty well anything is noticeable on our baby engine.) It was really fun to get three people and a whole lot of leverage to take that bolt off. The impact (of which I don't know its rated ftlbs) was completely useless, haha!

Quick Reply: What did you do to the GD Fit today?