1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Required major maintenance 80k so far..

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Required major maintenance 80k so far..

I haven't done any major maintenance on my car...

Oil, transmission fluid, air filters have been the only maintenance I've done on my car.

I'm kinda worried, but not too worried car runs great... for now, and I don't want to push it.

I know timing belts need changing every 60k, since our Fit's don't have them, what is really needed?

Had radiator and transmission flushed at 60k, recently had brakes checked, haven't changed them since the 20k mark back in 08... Why are my brakes so good? I was told by Big-o tires and firestone that my brakes are fine, alignment is good.

The only thing I'm being told is to clean out my fuel system by jiffy lube, and I feel they are joshing me and doesn't seem right....

Please enlighten me on what is needed.

-Tony

Old 04-19-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have 98,000 on mine.

I've done:
oil (every 6k miles or so)
air filter changes (when dirty)
transmission drain and refill @ 80k
Tires @ 50k
Front Pads @ 70k, rears still ok per mechanic.
pressure switch in tranny had to be replaced 2 weeks ago.

It's a pretty low maint. car. All cars should be this easy really.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:14 PM
That's alot of miles!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fieldstone
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have 98,000 on mine.

I've done:
oil (every 6k miles or so)
air filter changes (when dirty)
transmission drain and refill @ 80k
Tires @ 50k
Front Pads @ 70k, rears still ok per mechanic.
pressure switch in tranny had to be replaced 2 weeks ago.

It's a pretty low maint. car. All cars should be this easy really.
What is pressure switch in tranny??? Should i replace it for the hell of it?

I am getting close to 60K

I heard fit uses timing chain so i will never need replacement. But the AC water cooler one is belt right? Do I need to replace that?

I think next maintance i will change spark plug and A/T fluid . Am I missing something? ?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
heh... almost 80k, and all I've changed is oil and tires at regular intervals of 3k and 30k respectively

Old 04-21-2010, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
The accessories belt usually doesn't need replaced until 80k-100k miles... when you can visibly see cracks starting to form. It'll probably cost about $120 to have someone do it professionally.

Don't EVER do fuel system cleaner UNLESS you are experiencing symptoms. Using these can cause chunks of carbon deposits to break off & clog your system... then you'll have to pay them big bucks for repairs.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
but isn't a regular maintenance with fuel cleaners a good thing so that you don't have LARGE amounts of deposits?

Old 04-21-2010, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
First, Honda doesn't note that you need to clean your system... I'm sure they'd require it if it actually needed it. That'd be an easy & big profit up-sell for service writers.

Also, a fuel system cleaner only lasts about 3k miles... so you'd have to get it done EVERY oil change & I'm not talking about the cheap $8 bottle of junk from AutoZone, I'm talking about the professional products the dealership uses. The cheap stuff doesn't do much, if anything... about the same as filling up with some high test gas.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
but isn't a regular maintenance with fuel cleaners a good thing so that you don't have LARGE amounts of deposits?
i kinda like putting seafoam in the breakbooster line, its kinda cool watching all that smoke come out of the exhaust pipes.. and hell it even cleans out the exhaust pipes really well too after you do it.. that crap must be potent

Old 04-21-2010, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
You should have your valves adjusted.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
I use penzoil fuel injector cleaner every 4 fill ups. Don't know if it helps, but it can hurt since I've done it from the beginning.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
You should have your valves adjusted.
This, what is required for this, and who does it? Any mechanic can do? or something a Dealership or specializes in Honda would do?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Well, this seems easy enough for me to do... but the moment I forget something, I don't have a car... and wouldn't be able to get around... Man, living in suburbia has its perks and it's downsides...

Renting a room is cheap, but the closest place for hardware is several miles... maybe I could use my bike... wonder if there isn't too much rust on the chains.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Tranny switch was a faulty item. I def. wouldn't replace it for the hell of it. Why look for things wrong with the car? Rather, just drive it.
My plugs are still good at 99k. No need to change them unless the thing is running rough. The car drives like the day I bought it.

Boi-these things are low maint. Don't worry....be happy.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:03 AM
PS. I've heard about the valve adjustments, usually around 100k. So far, mine haven't needed to be adjusted. I think you'll know because the lifters will be noisy.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
I thought a major maintenance was required @ 30k miles? I'm at 20xxx miles right now. I was planning on getting the tranny fluid replaced. Is that too early to do so?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
I thought a major maintenance was required @ 30k miles? I'm at 20xxx miles right now. I was planning on getting the tranny fluid replaced. Is that too early to do so?
I am no expert on maintenance schedules for the Fit...but, I've generally relied on the MM system. That said, I have done no "major" maintenance on it.

I had a drain and refill done on the tranny once in 99k miles. I follow the mantra, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...but I check my fluids every couple of weeks to make sure they are still clean and fresh. When they start to get dark, I change them before they reach the end of their useful life.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fieldstone
I am no expert on maintenance schedules for the Fit...but, I've generally relied on the MM system. That said, I have done no "major" maintenance on it.

I had a drain and refill done on the tranny once in 99k miles. I follow the mantra, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...but I check my fluids every couple of weeks to make sure they are still clean and fresh. When they start to get dark, I change them before they reach the end of their useful life.
What exactly does a major maintenance consists of?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
What exactly does a major maintenance consists of?
I'm not sure how you'd define major.

Quick Reply: Required major maintenance 80k so far..