1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Replacement for Buttons on the Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Replacement for Buttons on the Steering Wheel?

I just purchased my 2007 Fit Sport used and would like to replace the cruise control buttons on my steering wheel. The letters have been slightly rubbed off and will easily be gone in a year. Does anyone know of a cheap place to buy those parts? I searched and searched through all the vehicle diagrams at hondapartsnow.com but couldn't find the buttons anywhere.

Thanks.

-Derek

Old 04-18-2010, 07:22 PM
I'd try your dealer first. They may come in an assembly but you may be happy to find they can be purchased alone. If not, look in junkyards. A steering wheel with a blow airbag may be affordable enough to buy for the buttons. I'll have to keep an eye on mine. 37K and so far so good.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
you must use them a LOT.

Check with junk yards, or check with dealership, there are no knock offs you will be happy with.

Plus they will use cheap materials to make them cheaper... cmon, common sense.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
you must use them a LOT.

Check with junk yards, or check with dealership, there are no knock offs you will be happy with.

Plus they will use cheap materials to make them cheaper... cmon, common sense.
cmon, he bought the car used, cmon.

anyway, here you go:

Item #2 in the Illustration = 36770-SLN-A01 SWITCH ASSY., AUTO CRUISE SET - $56.25

Here's the link: My Honda Parts Store - Genuine Honda Parts at Wholesale Prices

myhondapartsstore.com is much easier to browse for parts than some others.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
Check ebay I've seen numerous steering wheel with the buttons for sale.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
cmon, he bought the car used, cmon.
Well, not much common sense to get a used car that is of a recent year without some sort of warranty... must have been a cheap buy for good reasons...

Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I Have the New Cruise Control Buttons -- Now What?

Classic NYC story -- someone cut me off at high speed at night, I pounded the horn with my fist... except it wasn't the horn I was pounding... it was the cruise control button.

Just ordered the new button on-line (about $55) but now how do I get the old buttons out and put the new one in? It looks pretty simple -- one plug to connect -- but as a total amateur I'm a bit afraid of exploding air bags! Any advice welcome here.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Turns out my buttons were not worn. It was DIRT, the thickest most condensed dirt I have ever come across! No cleaner would remove it. I tried Goof Off and that did it, but only by rubbing it over and over and over for about 10 minutes. I have no idea what the previous owner had on their hands, but it seemed to be a mixture of super glue, grease, regular glue, clay, liquid nails, dirt, and pure EVIL. I had no idea the buttons were illuminated in the back until now.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Still asking

Originally Posted by gleng1
Classic NYC story -- someone cut me off at high speed at night, I pounded the horn with my fist... except it wasn't the horn I was pounding... it was the cruise control button.

Just ordered the new button on-line (about $55) but now how do I get the old buttons out and put the new one in? It looks pretty simple -- one plug to connect -- but as a total amateur I'm a bit afraid of exploding air bags! Any advice welcome here.
Did you ever replace that switch or get someone else to do it? I need to change my switch. It is broke and no longer stays engaged.

Paul

Old 03-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Cool needing to do this as well. just worn out switches.

Paul[/quote]
Originally Posted by stalcup
Did you ever replace that switch or get someone else to do it? I need to change my switch. It is broke and no longer stays engaged.
I know we will need to remove the center air bag module and with this we MUST be careful. there are a few screws involved in this part that Honda recommends replacing when removed for safety reasons. The diagram tells me the trim (right side has switches in them) will separate. Honda dealers want you to replace the bag assy. as a unit so they don't offer the switch alone per my local dealer. thus far it sounds like from others a thin set of needle nose pliers or even a tweezers may be needed to plug and unplug the electrical from the switches. I'm still researching all of it.
Paul