1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

wiring help squirrels ate some wires help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 PM
wiring help squirrels ate some wires help

My interior light, my hazards, and now the airbag light stays on in the dash. I found a piece of wire loom with an orange wire in it chewed up. I can't find where it came from, I have no interior light. Anyone have a picture of wiring that might know where this might have come from. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Angry Waskely Squirrels

One route would be getting a wiring diagham and tracing it out that way. It will have the color code be sure to get your year and model and VIN if there were any wiring changes that year. Someone here may have it already and be able to copy and paste it to ya? Before you start changing out fuses make sure the squirrel damage is repaired.
Good Luck!

The second route may involve a .22 and a ear of corn.
Happy Hunting!

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 01-09-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Where did you find the orange wire? let me know before the sun goes down and i will go out to my car and try to locate it on my car and try to explain what I found to you..... Go to tractor supply get some spray on deer repellent for gardens and find a a snakes shed skin to put under your hood.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:16 PM
squirrels driving me nuts

ok tore out front seats and all under dash covers and center console. no chewed wire loom showing, but still no interior light, fuse is fine, and the airbag light on in dash too. the wire loom was about size of a pencil, not as big as loom beside seats by center console. this is very frustrating

Old 01-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Banned
im sorry to say but those a different systems in your car
almost guaranteed there will be way more than a single frayed orange wire

sorry, but the truth hurts

also it would help to know EXACTLY what the wire color is

i,e. orange wire with red strip, white wire with orange on it, orange with white, blah blah blah

i dont think there is just an orange wire, there will be other colors on that orange wire

where did u find this wire?

u sure its squirrels and not mice (not that it really matters)?

Old 01-18-2010, 05:46 PM
update..... some good some not

ok took all the fuse box wires off and by a stroke of luck found two wires in a loom white/red and green/red. they were bitten off in two places so that it removed a 4 inch section of wire on both. after 2 days I have connected them by putting in patches. now. I have interior lights. good. I do not have hazards but I have turn signals?? I still have airbag light on in the dash. I did the airbag reset and nothing. so no hazards and airbag still lit. I have checked all the fuses. and update it wasn't squirrels had to be mice. this was way up behind the fuse box panel. wow what a pain. I am beginning to think maybe they have bitten off some more wire behind the dash. I am trying to trade in my fit or sell outright and this is holding up the process.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:50 PM
oh yeah it was a rodent party. It was squirrels, cause I saw them run out. mice didn't see em but now the evidence makes it obvious they were there too. WARNING do not leave an eaten box of chicken in the floorboard and the windows down. squirrels love chicken bones, and mice love wires that have constant current supply.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:52 PM
how do you get the dash out so i can check the hazard wire to the switch. and suspect that got one of the airbag wires behind the dash