1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Son installed under-dash LED, TPMS and fogs stop working

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Son installed under-dash LED, TPMS and fogs stop working

Hi Freak Friends!

I need help. My son installed LEDs under my dash, wired them into the interior fuse box. He had some problem along the way, but once he got them working, all seemed to be well. In a few days, my TPMS sensor went off and stayed lit. Around the same time, I noticed my fog lights weren't working.

He checked out the fuses for those 2 things and neither was blown, but he couldn't get either problem fixed. I think he tried to take the LED hookup out and see if that turned everything back on, but that didn't seem to work either.

OK, so I took my Fit over to the stealership today, since the oil needed changing anyway. Told them about the problems and they said it would be under warranty, that was *before* they spotted the LED lights.

After waiting until I had had 3 more birthdays .... (my GOD they are s-l-o-w) The service adviser told me that the problem is probably related to my LEDs....and that I will have to come back another day to have it fixed. Said the tech had narrowed it down to the fuse box inside (which is where son installed the LED fuse).

Long story even longer...What to do now? Can you not just install a piece of equipment in a blank fuse space? What if they try to charge me for labor or diagnosing since they will tell me it's the LED that caused the problem? Any advice on fixing it myself? How do you put in an LED if it's not hooked to the fuse box? I am at a disadvantage b/c I did not install the LED myself and I don't know if son did it right or did something he should not have. But I sure don't want to be ripped off - I have another shop I can go to if I'm gonna be charged for it anyway.

Hope you can help if you can figure out what i am asking!

Old 11-30-2009, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Do you have your paperwork of who worked on your car?

If you do LMK and I will ask him if he remembers what was wrong

Old 11-30-2009, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, hang on a minute....I'll get it in the morning.

Last edited by Juliane; 11-30-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
OK, the report says Tech 873 - no name just a number.

Last edited by Juliane; 12-01-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Can you get me the RO#? sry for all the questions just tryin to help..keke

Old 12-01-2009, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
I don't see an RO, the invoice # is HOCS510098. Bill Walker is the advisor. The record was in the wrong name, last name was Carter and that is not my name at all. I don't know if they have corrected it yet. They have it down as black and it's BBP.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Was the information for the car correct? anyways back to the topic at hand

Even tho there was an empty slot in the fuse box it may not be used cuz a certian accessory fuse goes there with some options. I'm not 100% on this, but that could be one reason

Old 12-01-2009, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
that is probably exactly what happened. I think I have to unhook the LED and take it back to your shop and let them re-set the computer so my TPMS light can go off and my lights can start working. Damn it I really like the lights but I don't know how to hook them up right...guess that can be a project for son when he comes back from A&M....

Old 12-01-2009, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
the 09+ ambient lighting should work tho on the 07/08...wiring should be the same

Old 12-01-2009, 11:50 AM
u should be able to tap into just about any source with led's tho they hardly have any draw at all usually...i know in my tib i tapped into my headlight power and put resistors in line so my boost, wideband, and egt gauges all lit up with my headlights and i had removed the lights from those and put in 3 led's in their places (total of 9, 3 per gauge)...

the only issue i could assume is that if he was under there and somehow grounded a power wire you may haev some issues but something with as small of a draw as led's shouldnt cause too much of an issue...

Last edited by 5speedwonder; 12-01-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Juliane
guess that can be a project for son when he comes back from A&M....
No offense but why would you let him work on your car again after going through all this lol

Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 PM
i guess he didnt find the accessory port on the fuse box...
likely he fried the fuse box.. cant just remove the LEDs..

Old 12-01-2009, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
No offense but why would you let him work on your car again after going through all this lol
Because he's my kid and he's usually good with stuff like this. It's no major deal, really.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
i guess he didnt find the accessory port on the fuse box...
likely he fried the fuse box.. cant just remove the LEDs..
He didn't fry the whole fuse box, or there'd be a lot more problems than just the fogs and the TPMS sensor. He looked at those fuses and they seemed OK. But we'll figure it out even if I have to get under the dash myself. Thanks!

Oh, and I think he did use the accessory port, now that you mention it. He's an aerospace engineering student who also builds his own computers and does coding, so he's pretty good with mechanical stuff.

Last edited by Juliane; 12-01-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 PM
im not sure if the GD fit has them since it first came out in 2001 and i dont remember seeing it in the electrical manual, but i know most of the hondas lately have multiplex control systems built into the fuse box, so small things like aftermarket alarm installations, etc sometimes mess them up. i used to be a tech at an acura dealer and my friends 04 tl fried his fuse box with an aftermarket alarm, seen an rsx with all the weirdest things wrong, that seemed to have nothing to do with each other, and culprit was the fuse box..

Old 12-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
not sure how your son wired up to the fuse, but cant he just remove the fuse and put the original fuse back where it was? did he use one of those add-a-circuit thingies?

did you check your tire pressure to make sure it wasnt a low pressure error lamp as it should work? 28psi is about when the TPMS triggers the light. with colder temps outside it could be that your tires are under inflated.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Juliane
Because he's my kid and he's usually good with stuff like this. It's no major deal, really.
Lol I understand, I'm just always super suspicious of people working on my car.