1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Horn changes pitch??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Horn changes pitch??

I have to drive back and forth from Malibu to Corona for my job several times a week, so I end up using my horn a fair amount and getting into far too many road rage situations.

It has happened before on the Fit and on my 7th gen Civic that if I lay on the horn constantly for too long (6 seconds or more, usually) the horn would seem to run out of juice and rise sharply in pitch all of a sudden.

A couple days ago my horn changed pitch I swear less than 2 seconds after pushing it down. It's kind of embarrassing when you're trying to be tough that your car is incapable of handling the load from your horn.

At the time this was at the end of a long drive so the battery should have been charged up just fine. (EDIT: This was a 3-hour drive across LA in traffic, so perhaps that would not have charged the battery as well as I had imagined.)

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution????

Last edited by secondspassed; 11-26-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Could be a problem with the horn. As the component heats up, the resistance would increase, causing less power in the horn. That might do funky things to the pitch.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Just do the horn change mod and then your horn will have more...um...cough...balls.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
The shame is that I actually enjoy the sound of the horn on the GD. It's much more of a deep honk than the GE which has the traditional Honda *meep* sound. If I find a cool enough horn I will swap it out, though.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Just do the horn change mod and then your horn will have more...um...cough...balls.

That is cough cough - two you know.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
haha i agree with the problem, my fix? i just touch my horn, i never hold it. If im really pissed, either repeatedly press it or drive off

Old 11-26-2009, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Or you could always use a visual technique. I find the finger quite effective!

Old 11-26-2009, 09:00 PM
haha GD's horn sometimes embarassed me. Its only good when arming the alarm that produce a single beep. It sounds like its coming from a bigger car but when I hold the horn long its a different story.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
I have to drive back and forth from Malibu to Corona for my job several times a week, so I end up using my horn a fair amount and getting into far too many road rage situations.

It has happened before on the Fit and on my 7th gen Civic that if I lay on the horn constantly for too long (6 seconds or more, usually) the horn would seem to run out of juice and rise sharply in pitch all of a sudden.

A couple days ago my horn changed pitch I swear less than 2 seconds after pushing it down. It's kind of embarrassing when you're trying to be tough that your car is incapable of handling the load from your horn.

At the time this was at the end of a long drive so the battery should have been charged up just fine. (EDIT: This was a 3-hour drive across LA in traffic, so perhaps that would not have charged the battery as well as I had imagined.)

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution????
The easiest fix is to not have so much road rage that you're laying into the horn for that long. I imagine your horn would wear out over time.
What's more embarrassing is thinking you're tough at all by honking the horn at someone.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100
The easiest fix is to not have so much road rage that you're laying into the horn for that long. I imagine your horn would wear out over time.
What's more embarrassing is thinking you're tough at all by honking the horn at someone.
Thanks for your insights. I'm sure your words will mean two shits to me after my next 3 hour trip across the badlands of LA highways. I do my best to keep my shit under control, that's the best anyone can ask of me.

As another matter, the horn is there for a reason. If someone needs to get the fuck out of the way then I am going to let them know they need to get the fuck out of the way and you'll just have to take my word that it was an appropriate situation.

I drive a Fit, do you think I'm concerned with looking "tough"? That was a little tongue-in-cheek of me. If it isn't to alert the person I'm honking at, it's to piss them off and it usually works. So I'll keep to my lifestyle you keep to yours.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
my horn will always do this when it is freezing cold outside... it's just a cheap horn

Old 12-07-2009, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
Thanks for your insights. I'm sure your words will mean two shits to me after my next 3 hour trip across the badlands of LA highways. I do my best to keep my shit under control, that's the best anyone can ask of me.

As another matter, the horn is there for a reason. If someone needs to get the fuck out of the way then I am going to let them know they need to get the fuck out of the way and you'll just have to take my word that it was an appropriate situation.

I drive a Fit, do you think I'm concerned with looking "tough"? That was a little tongue-in-cheek of me. If it isn't to alert the person I'm honking at, it's to piss them off and it usually works. So I'll keep to my lifestyle you keep to yours.
I live in LA too and I've only used by horn once? Chillax Mad Max. Other drivers are dumbasses and you're not going to fix them with your horn.