1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Look of the base model VS sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
How about cruise, security, auto paddles, USB, extra tie-downs, 16" whl"& tires, 2 more speakers, body-colored mirrors/bezels.
Cruise particularly.
Are you talking about the GE? GD doesn't matter with the mirrors thing and the wheels.

And of course to each their own. Each of those can be argued. You can add a BETTER head unit with USB in put (and more), you can add BETTER speakers so those 2 tweeters don't matter, tie downs are a non-issue, you can install a BETTER anti-theft system. The only thing you really lose is the cruise, but alot of folks don't use that.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
How about cruise, security, auto paddles, USB, extra tie-downs, 16" whl"& tires, 2 more speakers, body-colored mirrors/bezels.
Cruise particularly.
Bolded items are specific to the GE platform. This thread is GD specific noob.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
Are you talking about the GE? GD doesn't matter with the mirrors thing and the wheels.
base GD has 14in Steel w/hubcap, sport has 15in wheels. Both have shitty Dunlops but the sports tires do grip better (mostly because of the size difference).

I agree with you on the adding in a better Head Unit. When I swapped out from the stock radio to a Fusion Deck the sound got 10x better.

As far as the Paddle shifters go, anytime I need to actually control the shifting the base selector works just fine (only complaint is 3rd and 4th are part of the same slot). Only time I really use it is when I go to pass someone and I don't want to wait for the computer to register that I've stomped the gas and downshift to 3rd, so I just slap it down a notch and go.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tofuik

As far as the Paddle shifters go, anytime I need to actually control the shifting the base selector works just fine (only complaint is 3rd and 4th are part of the same slot). Only time I really use it is when I go to pass someone and I don't want to wait for the computer to register that I've stomped the gas and downshift to 3rd, so I just slap it down a notch and go.
+1. I use this method too.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
If I could have found a base model in 2006 that is what I would have bought.... The people posting about Fits back then were more concerned with ground clearance issues, parasitic power loss from large wheels and tires (the earlier Fits had 13"wheels) and if removing the plastic cladding would affect warranty claims for body rust...... Vehicles to me are raw material for a person that is into making changes to custom tailor to their taste..... Getting a base model is really more practical for some one that will want a better than stock sound system, wheels, tires, body kit and so on.... Practicality, performance and economy are always valued but styles that were and are practical will be dated in a short period of time as can be seen by looking at old post here and on other auto forums. I could have been just as pleased with a base model as far as looks go and pleased to not have to worry all of the time about damaging the low hanging plastic crap.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:12 PM
for a stock vehicle with minimal overhangs, the Fit has pretty low ground clearance and approach angles. I've already scraped a couple of times going into driveways in my base. I can't imagine having the sport lip.

but as far as looks go, I don't really mind either. The Sport kit is typical of Honda. Not great looking, but not offensive. To me, the base car looks more "rounded" while with the sport kit, the car looks more "squared off". So I guess depends on what you like.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
The USDM Fit is stretched in the front and back screwing up the approach angles and even more so on the sport models...... The front lip on mine looks like hell and it is the second one in 26,000 miles..... Still, people tell me I should drop it down lower.... The last guy that said it also told me that he had taken the whole front end off of his Fit because like myself had ran over a "gator"......I would enjoy having a lower center of gravity...... Whether you like the looks of the base model or not, it is an easier car to live with. I often wish that I had replaced the front end on my car with the one for the base model....

Old 11-20-2009, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
I need rims + drop and I'm set.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Get some Enkei RPF1 wheels.... At 9 1/2 lbs. each they are hard if not impossible to beat.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
That's a bit outta the budget. A set of EM1 Civic Si 10-spokes are what I'm looking at.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Yes they are a priced a bit high and not as eye pleasing as a lot of the lesser priced wheels, but the difference they make is something you can feel and they also will prolong the life of many components due to the weight savings.... Overall I consider the purchase to be the best money I have spent on my car..... There is not one negative and lots of positive gains.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Base model looks good when lowered and different wheels.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
A 65 Cadillac looks good lowered and with different wheels, even a school bus does

Old 11-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
A 65 Cadillac looks good lowered and with different wheels, even a school bus does
Hahaha I had to log on for this post. + rep

Old 10-02-2011, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to bump such an old thread.

I bought a base model fit a month ago 'coz that was the only GD that was in my dealership. I would admit I wanted the sport model before but now the base model is growing on me and I'm starting to love it.

The only things I'd want from the sport model are the foglights, mp3 deck, and oem wing. But now all of that has changed since I thought about my mods. I found a brand new oem foglight kit on here (courtesy of E=Mc2), going to wait for my oem deck to crap out on me and swap to an aftermarket ddin, and choosing between cf wings (J's replica or Spoon style).

I don't really care about the lip kit because when spring time hits, the GD will hit the ground.

Last edited by jmsplitfyre; 02-25-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Once again I have to say that buying a sport model instead of holding out for a base model was a big mistake... I am taking off for a 200 mile drive in awhile and once again I am going to have to reattach the bumper to the front fender...If anyone ever again says I need to drop it lower and they are physically present I will bitch slap the hell out of them. Fortunately the guys driving hot little tuner cars in this area are for the most part more into having a functional than a caricature of what is being driven in big cities in Japan. There is one SI that sits low but the kid only drives it to cruise town in on Saturday night.