1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

That time of year.....I am looking for a remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Arrow That time of year.....I am looking for a remote starter

anyone got a good remote starter for their 08 GD??? I have a compustar on my Oddy, and it works pretty good most of the time......

recommendations???

Old 10-08-2009, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
I tried to install the Honda Remote starter from a GE8...The GE8 has a B-CAN signal that the GD3 does not...

If anybody knows how to fool the remote starter to think that it has a B-CAN signal, then it should work.

sorry for hijacking your thread.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jodele
I tried to install the Honda Remote starter from a GE8...The GE8 has a B-CAN signal that the GD3 does not...

If anybody knows how to fool the remote starter to think that it has a B-CAN signal, then it should work.

sorry for hijacking your thread.
Not a problem, might be useful for the both of us.....

Old 10-08-2009, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
The great thing about the Honda remote starters is its range...that is why I would like to get it working...but I'm a mechanical type and not an EE. I've got all the other wires plugged in and modified the harness...I've even taken picture of the whole ordeal. At this point, if I unplug the remote starter computer unit from the haress, I can't get the car out of gear or start the car...so it is working "somewhat"...

It is all in, but no B-CAN signal...that is the only wire I did not get an equivalent for!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Viper 5701V. Can't say enough good things about it. Tons of features, lots of cool things you can expand with, 1 mile range, 2 way remote. $400 installed most of the time.

If you're really cool, you can do the 5901V with the SmartStart module. Its the same ast the 5701V, but with an LCD display on the remote. And the SmartStart will work with an iPhone and allow you to control the car's remote start and alarm arming/disarming. Damn expensive, but freakin awesome.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:11 PM
you can buy the 5701 for 120 online (if you dont care about getting a pink remote....breast cancer edition!) and you can find an installer for another 100..works great.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andrewwdang
you can buy the 5701 for 120 online (if you dont care about getting a pink remote....breast cancer edition!) and you can find an installer for another 100..works great.

who would install it and where?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:34 AM
Originally Posted by flyellow
who would install it and where?
You can probably go to any shop that does car audio and they'd be able to do it. It isn't a difficult install. But if you want the Lifetime Warranty on the actual alarm, you need to make sure that the installer is MECP Certified. With the proper paper work, Viper will replace any component of the alarm for as long as you own it.

And yes, they can be found for dirt cheap online. $100 for installation is pretty cheap. I'd say average would be around $150 from what I've seen. Don't forget to buy a bypass module though. Those are usually another $80 to $100.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 AM
hmmm, i actually got mine installed like 6 weeks ago..i did my research and it turns out that the average is around 120, the higher end goes for like 150 ie...Bestbuy... you do need the bypass kit if you want the remote start. i got mine for 20 bucks online...just search it up..it does go up to 100 but that one just looks a bit fancier

Old 10-13-2009, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member
I purchased Honda remote starter accessory for my GE8 and installed it myself. It is PnP but I had to take my car to a dealer to program it, $65.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:10 PM
If you have a MT, definitely go with the Compustar so you don't remote start it in gear.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by YellowStarS2000
If you have a MT, definitely go with the Compustar so you don't remote start it in gear.
Compustar is a very good alarm. What kind of mechanism do the have that is specific for MTs? My Viper has a spot where you can tag the neutral safety switch, but my Fit isn't equipped with one. I plan on making one someday, but it usually takes 8 relays and a box, so I'm putting that off. I never ever ever park in gear, so it doesn't worry me. And I always turn off the remote start with a switch when I let someone else drive it, just so that I don't forget that it may be in gear. I have many friends that have hit walls, other cars, poles, you name it!

Old 10-13-2009, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YellowStarS2000

does the Viper not work with an MT?

Old 10-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by flyellow
does the Viper not work with an MT?
It does, and it works fine. Like I mentioned above, none of the Fits (not sure inf NONE do, but my GD3 Base does not) have a built in neutral safety switch. The role of the neutral safety switch is to tell the car that it is in gear. When the alarm taps into this wire, the alarm knows not to engage the remote start because the car is in gear.

The Viper has a manual transmission mode, but it's a pain in the ass to use. When you go to turn off the car, you have to press the started button the remote, then push in the break, hit the clutch once, then engage and disengage the e-brake twice. When you turn off the car, it continues to run until you arm the alarm. Then it lets you remote start it later.

Well, I had NO interest in doing that every time I thought I might want to remote start. So I just used my Bit Writer and programmed the Viper into Automatic Transmission mode. I then set up a relay that receives a quick pulse from the alarm when I remote start. The relay then grounds out the clutch trigger on the car, making the car think that the clutch is engaged, allowing it to start. It was much easier than simply bypassing my clutch trigger all together in my Civic, although it was really nice not having to press in my clutch to start my car.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 AM
This may have changed, but a couple years ago, the highest end model Compustar remote start pager alarm could be programmed to leave the car on when you take your key out of the ignition. When you closed the door and locked your car, it also shuts off the engine. This ensures that you are not in a gear. If you open the doors in between this procedure and trying to remote start the car, you will not be able to, as you may have accidently put it in gear.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 PM
i just recently got my Viper 5901 installed...good range and its awesome

Old 11-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I have been thinking of how to get the OEM honda one and trick it as well, but without seeing someone else with it running, I may stay away for a little while. It's freezing in the mornings now, so it would be nice to have a warmed up car when I get in it...

Old 11-24-2009, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
I tried to intall the Honda remote starter for the GE8 in my GD3. I've got most of the wires hooked up. The only problem I came across is the B-CAN signal that the remote starter is looking for. I need some help from an Electrical Engineer or someone that knows what the B-CAN signal looks like, so I could fake it into my remote starter...I'd love to get my Honda remote starter to work.

If I unplug the remote starter's computer unit from the harness I've installed, you can't get the car out of gear. You plug it in and all works fine...except the remote starter. So something is working in it...