1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

The time has come.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
The time has come.....

I just found out today that my part-time job with the hospital is over at the end of the month. This means that I will lose my prime parking spot in a protective garage. I have parked in the same spot for three years between a nice Volvo and a super clean Jetta. No dings or scratches because we all take care of our rides. My new full time job has no employee parking - it is first come first serve. Here are the options:
1. Park at a business that allows us to use their side lot but their trash bin is in the middle and those guys have dinged cars getting the bin out to dump it.
2. Park in a free public lot with people who could care less about their own cars let alone mine.
3. Park across the street in a less public used lot but where my friend had his hitch stolen off his truck in broad daylight.
4. Catch a bus which involves standing out in all kinds of weather, it is less than a block from my home and would involve getting across a major 4 lane in rush hour traffic at the end of the day.
5. Take a deep breath and realize that my car showing days are over and just enjoy the Fit for the great DD it is - and consider the dings badges of honor.

If the bus did not involve crossing the 4 lane at the end the day it would be a great option but then I think why have a car you are not going to drive. I know this is stupid but you know how much I love this car and how I have kept it show room pretty so I could show it this year. We had two major wins and I really had hoped to continue this next year. If I could find a cheap beater I would consider that another option.

What do you guys think?

Cat :x

Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Park in the right most parking spot, so that only one car can park next to you, and 95% of the time there will be no one coming out of the passenger side of the car parking next to you, since this is a work parking lot. Also, I always park as far away as possible, decreases the chances of someone parking next to me, and increases my "Fit"-ness since I have to walk further to get from place to place. Also keeps your Fit in good shape.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Option 5 for me.

For me the main problem with cars that are "show quality" like yours is on unprotected parking, someone somewhere is bound to pull a prank on you and your car Yeah jealous assholes disrespectful of others' property abound these days.

If you can maintain your GD's clean look while parked on an unprotected slot then great; if not, at least the change of mindset means it won't hurt as much when it does get scratched or dinged.

Either way I'm sorry to see this happen, I know how proud you are of your GD. If you could you should get a beater.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
DD show car FTW. I show my car and it has battle wounds. I do my best to keep it as perfect as possible but sooner or later you're going to get some battle wounds from being a DD.

Try parking in corner spots so that you have less chances of being hit, you could always get the side moldings to act as barriers.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:46 AM
Man, that was easily the worst part about owning my first brand new car. I remember washing may Fit after having it for maybe a month and finding a ding. And then another one, and another one. That's hard. But, it is a DD and I know it's going to happen. I'll consider myself lucky to get away with no accidents for the entire duration of my ownership of the lovely little Fit.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
option#5 for me. also for the lot that gets hitches stolen... things get stolen all the time at parking lots so i would just park it at a reasonable location which ever lot it may be.

i highly recommend NOT parallel parking though (i know it wasnt one of your options). you might be great, but everyone else thinks bumpers are meant to be used as proximity sensors. hahaha.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
^ +1, happened to me when i decided to take a trip to a super-hip place i was unfamiliar with... a-holes..

i say find a nice old rusty honda to get around and make the fit the weekend car/garage queen

Old 09-10-2009, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
how far is your job? close enough to commute with a scooter? a new Honda Ruckus is in the sub $2500 range, a used one easily sells between $1500 and $2000 depending on mileage and condition

Old 09-10-2009, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure but in my area driving a scooter to work is as dangerous as crossing a 4 lane hwy.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Take the deep breath and be happy that you have kept your car so nice for so long. Its a rare thing to have a DD without scars. I don't/can't show mine because it racks up 150+ miles/day of hard commuting. Doesn't stop me from keeping her looking her best whenever possible, and I get the occaisonal compliment. Not as nice as a trophy, but I'll take my small wins where I can get em...

Old 09-11-2009, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
Take the deep breath and be happy that you have kept your car so nice for so long. Its a rare thing to have a DD without scars. I don't/can't show mine because it racks up 150+ miles/day of hard commuting. Doesn't stop me from keeping her looking her best whenever possible, and I get the occaisonal compliment. Not as nice as a trophy, but I'll take my small wins where I can get em...
All too true!

The best I could hope for here are door dimples that don't involve paint damage. Yeah inconsiderate parkers abound.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
yah, for me im a trained PDR tech so i can fix most dings.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned
buy a moped or a beater

Old 09-12-2009, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
Door dings are inevitable.

Wheres the option for bubble wrap?