1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

a/t not going to park

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
a/t not going to park

so a friend of mine who has an a/t fit...sometimes when she tries going into park, it won't go n lock in place....sorta really annoying. Just wondering what it would be before going to honda n getting a nice bill to fix it. my guess is the linkage is off n can just be adjusted...I don't feel like going through the trouble of adjusting it if I don't have to lol so I'm lookin for any other opinions on what the cause could be before I either mess it up/before I go at it.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
I've never heard of that happening on a Fit or any other car for that matter.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
yea, never heard of it before either but I did find a diagram for adjusting the a/t shifter linkage...
A/T Shift Cable Adjustment (CVT)

Old 09-01-2009, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shazaam
so a friend of mine who has an a/t fit...sometimes when she tries going into park, it won't go n lock in place....sorta really annoying. Just wondering what it would be before going to honda n getting a nice bill to fix it. my guess is the linkage is off n can just be adjusted...I don't feel like going through the trouble of adjusting it if I don't have to lol so I'm lookin for any other opinions on what the cause could be before I either mess it up/before I go at it.

You need to have dealwer inspect that. At least to get it on record that you brought it in with the problem. Make sure you get a copy of their final report. BE SURE.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:37 PM
No warranty left? Power train stuff should be good for 50,000 miles right? anything else 36K

Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
yea, I'm assuming they won't consider it powertrain though being it might not be a problem with the tranny itself just the linkage going from shifter to tranny... is anyone able to explain how the fits tranny...not the cvt works? is it just linkage to tranny that changes the gears I'm assuming?

n no mahout, that'd be stupid to bring it to the dealer if you can do it yerself. I don't want her with a $500 bill for 2-3hrs of labor n parts if she doesn't need that. if it seems bigger than I can handle I'll just say to go to the dealer cause a couple friends work there but yea, n I'ma try ask them if they know so yea.

Last edited by shazaam; 09-01-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CombatBaby
No warranty left? Power train stuff should be good for 50,000 miles right? anything else 36K

Only emissions equipment is fully warranted for 50k on Fit unless you have an extended warranty. The 36k powertrain warranty is VERY limited. The original 36k warranty is good but also excludes a lot of things.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
The powertrain is warrantied for 60K/5 yrs. The bumper to bumper warranty is for 36K/3 yrs.

You need to read the details, quote
5 year/60,000- mile Limited Powertrain Warranty. Ordinary maintenance or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement, and certain items are excluded. See your Honda dealer for terms and conditions of the limited warranties".

While I agree that adjusting the A/T lever should be covered under the original 36 k warranty, after that the dealer may consider adjustment to be excluded. So if it occurs in the 36k region, make sure its documented just in case it occurs again. Most dealers should take vare of that A/T adjustment under at least customer service. You might also need to know the levers, etc, are likely not part of the powertrain by Honda..

Old 09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shazaam
yea, I'm assuming they won't consider it powertrain though being it might not be a problem with the tranny itself just the linkage going from shifter to tranny... is anyone able to explain how the fits tranny...not the cvt works? is it just linkage to tranny that changes the gears I'm assuming?

n no mahout, that'd be stupid to bring it to the dealer if you can do it yerself. I don't want her with a $500 bill for 2-3hrs of labor n parts if she doesn't need that. if it seems bigger than I can handle I'll just say to go to the dealer cause a couple friends work there but yea, n I'ma try ask them if they know so yea.

You need to document the problem with Honda. If the dealer wants to charge for 'adjustment' you have every right to not do so. But at least you can document the problem if warranty comes in later and is questioned.
Looking at the shop manual I doubt that the inexperienced will solve a lever placement problem; however, I do find one possibility.
When she puts the lever in park is she pressing the brake pedal? If not that could be an interference from the lockout that prevents shifting from park unless the brake is pressed. Thats the only thing I can see DIY.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
After my car was in the shop for problems with the CV joint. I then had the same problem and I could not put my car in park. The dealer told me that a dust guard was in the way of the shifter cable and it was stretching it. They told me they had to order a cable and I would have to pay for parts and labor.

3 hours later I received a call they moved the dust guard and it went back in place. The fix was warrantied and they did not need to order a part.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
yea she's past 36k so almost any chance of warranty work is out unless they're feeling real generous :/

@mahout - yea it only happened once when i'd been with her n wasn't paying much attention. whenever i've driven it though it's worked so may be her lol being when I asked her, it happens every so often n not every time I guess. n one time her dad freaked n fcuked up the center console n shifter(could slide the shifter through all gears) n the key was always a fun time to get out. but that was was fixed by honda if I remember right so if that was the case n they effed up...well the dealer may be payin for it I guess. hopefully tomorrow I'l get a chance to look at it a bit more n try figure somethin out.

@ciggy - hrmmm...def lookin for a drawing of the dust cover.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
I think that's what I said

But not what i said.You left out the rest of the quote that changes the intention. The real warranty is 36k, the linitations in the 50k are enough to make it a partial warranty thats not as much use. As the rest of the quote lets you know.

Last edited by mahout; 09-03-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
All I said was that you were wrong (which you were) when you said that the powertrain warranty was 36K. My intention was to correct your incorrect staterment, nothing else.
The real powertrain warranty is 36k; the 60k LIMITED powertrain warranty is very limited and those limitations make it almost non-warranty compared to the original 36k. Take a look at whats excluded.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
All I said was that you were wrong (which you were) when you said that the powertrain warranty was 36K. My intention was to correct your incorrect staterment, nothing else.
And mine was to alert you to the limitations in the60k warranty. never mind.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
lol, love the back n forth. 36k warranty was all that was with the car.

tech at honda said it's prolly solenoid so I'ma test that i guess. $72 to get the part though so ef.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:57 AM
i got a problem similar except mine when i turn on the car it does move from park i have to stick a key on the side where you can put the car into neutral if there is no key on the ignition.

Thats the only way i can move the shift knob..i haven't took the center console out to check if there is something wrong there...but i can't think of anything else..

there is a abs light on the dash but i doubt that causes it from not going from park to drive etc..

Old 09-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Sometimes if there is a fast food cup in the cup holder, it keeps me from
move the shifter enough to get it into park. Once I remove the cut its ok.
It's not obvious(doesnt appear to be in the way)

Old 09-17-2009, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hondafitblue
i got a problem similar except mine when i turn on the car it does move from park i have to stick a key on the side where you can put the car into neutral if there is no key on the ignition.

Thats the only way i can move the shift knob..i haven't took the center console out to check if there is something wrong there...but i can't think of anything else..

there is a abs light on the dash but i doubt that causes it from not going from park to drive etc..
wow, didn't see this post. I remember having to do that before...afaik it's been going into P fine now though n I never got the chance to take a peek at it. hopefully maybe those diagrams I linked can help you out though.