1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Minor performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, I feel welcomed...I'll post pictures of the Wagovan when it gets back from repair. It blew its engine up and currently waiting for a JDM engine. It's blue.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shazaam
omg. i want yer wagovan too pics lol.
yea, short ram you lose power, gain mileage. chamber, throttle response is better, cold air just more power really. just do sids diy n you'll prolly be happy. blitz tc will make the car feel more peppy/quicker if you want that...other than that besides boosting susp. mods will benefit you the most.
You lose power with a short ram? Why is that?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
SRI has less power compared to a CAI. Hotter air = less power, vs colder air = more power. SRI is short so reponse is quick vs CAI is very long so much slower response. also with a CAI you run the risk of hydrolock due to its location being so low. personally i chose SRI. I have an SSM 08 GD3 and i use a K&N SRI. Many have said this intake has fitment issues but i had no problems! Hope this helps!

Old 08-23-2009, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sbualuba
SRI has less power compared to a CAI. Hotter air = less power, vs colder air = more power. SRI is short so reponse is quick vs CAI is very long so much slower response. also with a CAI you run the risk of hydrolock due to its location being so low. personally i chose SRI. I have an SSM 08 GD3 and i use a K&N SRI. Many have said this intake has fitment issues but i had no problems! Hope this helps!
I see the...SRI doesn't lose power vs stock it has less power than CAI. Okay, that makes sense. Living in the NW I would be inclined to avoid a CAI anyway. When I was looking into it I found myself wondering what would happen if you went through standing water withe intake that low to the ground.

I'm finding that an SRI, rear swaybar and better tires are looking like the way to start and will give me a bit better driving feel without too much expenditure and little negative impact on the car. Having a 6 year old means I need to make sure I keep my tendency to "upgrade and tweak" under control. This stuff can get spendy pretty quickly. Oh yeah, the stock speakers have gotta go.

Thanks for the info.

Kevin

Old 08-23-2009, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
no problem. +1 rep that! lol

mod are pricely. I've been going one step at a time.

MY MODS,

K&N SRI
Skunk2 50mm catback exhast
Tinted windows
lol painted black hubcaps
custom yellow fogs

next to get
Header
TR1 crank pully
IK22 Spark plugs
Reflash someday
Head Work

Old 08-23-2009, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
So why did you choose the K&N SRI?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
I started with the Aspec intake/exhaust-good value for the $. Not too loud, no drone on fwy. Nice increase in power. I later switched to a BOMZ shorty intake. Not much difference in power, but I didn't worry about water. The BOMZ wasn't mounted as well. I've gone back to the Aspec with a water repellant outerwear and I just try to avoid deep water (I do live in so cal so....)
I added the Progress RSB. Great investment! It tightened up steering, cut body roll and allows oversteer instead of boring understeer. Love it!

17 inch rims-great cornering, but lost acceleration and some mileage (1-1.5ish), but I love the look.

Any other major upgrades are out of my budget-I'd love the Kraftwerks supercharger......but too $$$$ for my poor teacher budget.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dixeyk
So why did you choose the K&N SRI?
i dunno i used in all my other cars

Old 08-24-2009, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Shifter bushings and a weighted knob make shifts pretty crisp A short shifter couldn't hurt, either.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
H-Fit.com SSI Intake is pretty sweet. The dyno numbers are posted.

Progress rear sway is a must as well.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dixeyk
I was looking at the intake thread and there are a TON of them (everything from really pricey ones to the DIY version). I'm more interested in performance as opposed to having it sound better (in fact if it sounded like stock that would be fine as well). I've been looking at reviews and such but I haven't been seeing much more than the fact that the TR1B carbon fiber short ram intake is pretty popular on the board and there is one from K&N that seems pretty well disliked.

Any suggestions?
I know it's a little late to reply to this but here:
I am a firm believer that I can make just as good an intake as a company can, and for a quarter of the cost. When I had my 03 Mini Cooper S (supercharged), I slapped in an intake made by Spectre that I'd purchase from Schucks for $40. And guess what? It gave me 9hp, when all the companies advertised 7-10hp gains. So, a lot of bang for my buck, I think. Ended up crafting a heatshield from a sheet of metal that I bought for $8.

As for suspension, I'm pretty sure you're on the right route. Same with tires. If you replace the rims, just be sure to get something lightweight, 15-16" in size.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:28 PM
I went ahead and went with the modicum of " if it breathes better, it runs better." I have a fujita intake with HKS exhaust, im looking to get some headers later. but for the meantime, i have seen numbers that do show i gained 10-11 whp. Its just that the graph got a different aspect to it now. im no means a tunerhead, but the way it was explained to me that I get to peak high range on the throttle faster but limits after 3 gear. hmm. all my civic buddies are screaming to throw a turbo on it for "real" gains. but damn! 3grand is alota mula right now!

Old 08-31-2009, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
so far...

Based on what I am seeing (and my particular needs), I think I am going to go with (drum roll please)...

1. Progress RSB
2. H-Fit Supa Sucka Intake
3. Better tires when the Dunlops wear out (hopefully soon)

I understand that the Supa Sucka (a SRI) will get me less power than a CAI but I live in a very wet climate and all I am looking for is a bit more zip and it looks to me like the Supa Sucka will deliver that. I think a turbo (while a cool idea) is a lot of cash to shell out for a kid hauler zip around town car. Down the line I think I'd like to add a better exhaust but that can wait for now.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
Turbo is a lot to worry about once you've got it strapped to your car anyways. Good luck with that SSR... Just saw a thread about one breaking.