1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

idea and brain storm -- Plexiglass roof

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
Use polycarbonate (Lexan AKA bulletproof glass) that is what light aircraft windshields are made of. The way they form the windscreens, is they make a mold and cover it with felt. Then they heat the Lexan sheet to 250 or 350 degrees F…I don’t remember which. Then the hot sheet is draped over the felt covered mold and let cool. The sheet is moved, ever so slightly (jiggled), so the felt texture is not transferred to the sheet. Since your roof is not cut yet, cover it with felt for your mold. There are lots of cars manufactured with the wind shields bonded to the body for rigidity. My suggestion is to leave about 2” on the sides to bond the Lexan to the roof structure. That way, structural integrity will be maintained…that is you won’t need to add structure to the inside of the car.

Take lots of pictures and post them here…

Old 08-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jodele
Use polycarbonate (Lexan AKA bulletproof glass) that is what light aircraft windshields are made of. The way they form the windscreens, is they make a mold and cover it with felt. Then they heat the Lexan sheet to 250 or 350 degrees F…I don’t remember which. Then the hot sheet is draped over the felt covered mold and let cool. The sheet is moved, ever so slightly (jiggled), so the felt texture is not transferred to the sheet. Since your roof is not cut yet, cover it with felt for your mold. There are lots of cars manufactured with the wind shields bonded to the body for rigidity. My suggestion is to leave about 2” on the sides to bond the Lexan to the roof structure. That way, structural integrity will be maintained…that is you won’t need to add structure to the inside of the car.

I think this is the best advise. Definitely use Lexan (waay more expensive than plexiglass, but you don't want to cheap out on this!). I like that molding idea, that is what I was thinking as well, I just didn't know about the felt. I would mold the lexan oversized, then cut the roof, prep/paint/clear/blend the edge, test fit the lexan from the inside, trim where necessary, bond to the roof, reinstall modified headliner, done.

To bond it, I would say put a wide/thick application of clear silicon around the opening, then something like construction adhesive on the rest of the Lexan that will be bonded to the roof. You'll have to figure out a way to get even pressure on it while it dries, but that shouldn't be to hard. While it is drying I would then go clean up and silicon that squeezes out, and I'd try to find a rubber trim (maybe sunroof trim or something) that you can slip in there.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FELIXY69
CRX comes stock like that ?
in Japan they did.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
another thought is that, didnt the JDM GD3 came with glass roof in japan ?
i may get one cut out and ship it over so i can mold it in

Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 AM
another thought is that, didnt the JDM GD3 came with glass roof in japan ?
i may get one cut out and ship it over so i can mold it in
I thought only the GE had the glass roof.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:25 PM
That would rock. I totally say do it! I have always wanted a sunroof in my car. And I really like the moon roof style where the window goes down the middle of the car from front to back. THe Lexan sounds like it'd be better. I'd worry about plexiglass warping and discoloring in excessive sunlight. But I live in Southern California where summer is our only season, so it probably wouldn't work for me!

Old 08-30-2009, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
I am very interested in this. I would love to see where you can go with this, as I am wanting to do the same thing. I miss the panoramic moonroof on my Cooper S. This would make our seats' refresh mode even more refreshing.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jodele

This is almost exactly the first thing that came to mind for this.

LEXAN all the way

Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 AM
CRX comes stock like that ?
the JDM ones did.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:03 AM
i haven't seen a glass roof on a fit since i've been over here. but i only see like 5 a day on base (practically the same 5)