1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Believe it! Fog lights will CRACK!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Kevin, want to roll out to my place in Anaheim and install me some clear film You picked up some Rims from my place a long while back =D

Old 08-10-2009, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, it's a good thing the highway I drive on only allows passenger cars and not trucks or anything commercial. My fogs would have been toasted if it weren't for that.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
i live in Houston, and both of my foglights have holes and cracks in them. (as well as dents in the hood, and 1 window crack...we get a lot of flying debris around here) I haven't really thought much about fixing them, since the lights still work, and I don't really need them.

Can someone post pics about these film covers? I might replace them if I can prevent the breakage again.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
There should already be some DIY threads for installing the fog light film. Several of them for the GD, there's got to be at least one for the GE around here.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
what does GD and GE mean? (sorry, i'm new to the forums).

Old 08-10-2009, 03:44 PM
what's the difference between yellow and clear film ( besides colour, of course?)

Old 08-10-2009, 04:09 PM
HID Addict
by GD he meant GD3, and GE he meant GE8, gd3 is the chasis code for the honda fits of years 06 - 08. GE8 is the chasis code for years 09 and possibly 10.

The only difference between clear film and yellow film are: when lights are off, you woudnt see white mirrors, it would be somewhat yellow, if visible at all. and also the yellow film enhances 3000k bulbs (3000k bulbs are used for better visiblity in rain and snow and etc). i guess yellow film would make stock (4300k) bulbs seem like 4000k -shrugs- the clear film only protects the lens from cracking, where as the yellow protects and enhances on some level, might not be much though.

Theres not difiference between the GE8 and gd3 about putting it on, its just a matter of how to take them off. if you don't know how to put it on, im sure the seller can explain, as for taking out the housing, thats what the manual is for

Old 08-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks Much !

Old 02-12-2010, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
That sucks. I've been selling the film for almost 2 years now, but honestly it's been covered many times. People don't think it will crack, but then it ends up happening. U can put film over the crack to protect it from getting any worse. PM me if u want a set in clear or yellow.
How much is yellow film for the GD3 sent to 07748.

Rite now my fogs are painted yellow will the yellow film work fine over the paint? A lot of the paints been eaten away by the salt this season i was either going to repaint or get film but since I want some protection from cracks film is the way to go.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
An alternative to a full set of new honda fogs would be the cheap internet ones (Zeta used to sell them as well). The electrical components (switch, wiring) reportedly are problematic but the fogs themselves should fit.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:02 PM
+1 Cracked lens w/ yellow film put on after the fact.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Antpwny
Kevin, want to roll out to my place in Anaheim and install me some clear film You picked up some Rims from my place a long while back =D
Bump for my request a few months later

Old 02-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by R2D2
+1 Cracked lens w/ yellow film put on after the fact.
Yeah, well, some of us just don't think it will happen to us!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:43 PM
I was never aware of any problem with fog lights in general, and then one day, I happened to bend down and notice that one fog light is cracked, and the other is almost completely shattered!!

The lights still work, but I am definately interested in purchasing a set of film to protect what I have left of the fogs. At some point I might replace them, but I'm having a hard time justifying the ~$200 per light replacement cost.

And of course my comprehensive insurance has a $500 deductable

Old 02-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Well, be prepared to have to take off the whole front fender to install the film. I was told that you have to take out the assembly in order to put the film on properly. My thought was that if I have to go through all that, I may as well go ahead and replace the lights! And then put the film on and hopefully never have to do it again.

The fogs are in a perfect position to catch rocks from streets and highways. But they aren't the only thing - evidently the air conditioner compressor is also vulnerable to rocks, and that is considerably more expensive to replace.

Well, you pay a lot for any cool car....

Old 02-15-2010, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Taking out the foglights are easy. Theres a philips screw on the fog light housing(the plastic cover)

Easy fix, get a turbo, rid of your fog lights and no chance of cracking the a/c condenser lol.

Anyways, you can secretly hide a grill to make it look stock.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
Well, be prepared to have to take off the whole front fender to install the film. I was told that you have to take out the assembly in order to put the film on properly. My thought was that if I have to go through all that, I may as well go ahead and replace the lights! And then put the film on and hopefully never have to do it again.

The fogs are in a perfect position to catch rocks from streets and highways. But they aren't the only thing - evidently the air conditioner compressor is also vulnerable to rocks, and that is considerably more expensive to replace.

Well, you pay a lot for any cool car....
You don't need to remove your fenders in order to remove the fog lights. Infact you can remove both fog lights in a matter of minutes.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Yup one screw on each side for the GDs. Dunno about those GEs though....

And while you're doing that you can also replace the horn (i'm just saying...why stop at one mod when you get a twofer )

Old 02-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
They definitely crack, Have had it numerous times, and the yellow film does help both visibility and the crack itself...

Old 02-22-2010, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krakhed
Yup one screw on each side for the GDs. Dunno about those GEs though....

And while you're doing that you can also replace the horn (i'm just saying...why stop at one mod when you get a twofer )
I also noticed when i had my fog lights off what seemed to be the horn? Can i replace the horn from just having the foglight out. I was not doing the mod because i didnt want to have to try and find the horn.

Also i've always worried about my fogs getting jacked by another fit owner. Only one screw and a clip for the plug and they have the whole assembly!!

Quick Reply: Believe it! Fog lights will CRACK!