1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Spongy clutch pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Spongy clutch pedal?

so i have a problem that i need help with. i have a 07 mt fit with 44k and when i shift just before red line my clutch pedal feels really spongy and it wont let me shift into gear unless i pump up the pedal... but if i drive normal... it works just fine. i tried bleeding it and it still does the same thing. can somebody help me?

Old 08-08-2009, 04:57 PM
is the clutch slave or master leaking?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
is the clutch slave or master leaking?

Agreed, however it could be a bad clutch cylinder piston seal as well meaning intermittent leakage past the seal thatr doesn't show up as clutch leakage per se.
You wuill need to fix as it will get worse and could leave you stranded.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
44k it could just be time for another clutch. If the clutch is starting to slip it will definitely slip at higher RPMs and not so much at regular driving but it is progressive and little by little your clutch will start to slip at any load and eventually fail.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Necos07
44k it could just be time for another clutch. If the clutch is starting to slip it will definitely slip at higher RPMs and not so much at regular driving but it is progressive and little by little your clutch will start to slip at any load and eventually fail.
what 44k change a clutch hell no unless he is abusing the snot out of it has to be master or slave leaking .

Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
I was going say Im at 45000, I'd better not be getting close to needing a new clutch.
Hey another question... I have a GD8 MT and it seems like its starting to fight me to go into reverse... Im getting ready to Flush my tranny fluid. I hope that helps... Any one else have this problem?

Old 08-10-2009, 10:02 PM
A slipping clutch is very different from the symptoms he's describing.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
no i know how to drive.... my clutch isnt bad. no slippage... but im wondering pressure plate fins... but wouldnt it do it all the time? i havent seen any visual leaks... both the slave and the master cylinder are special order parts so they dont change them that often.... ill look closer at the seals....

Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
Take it to the dealer before your warranty is up, and let us know what they say. Im not saying you dont know how to drive but if your shifting at redline you are definitely abusing the car and the Fits clutch sucks. The Master & Slave are the first place I would look but those other guys already said that so whats the last choise.......Clutch Assy.

Last edited by Necos07; 08-13-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
do you think it would be covered under powertrain warranty? casue if it is a clutch i know they dont cover those.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Powertrain warranty may not cover wearable parts like a clutch disc - but it should absolutely cover a problem with the clutch hydraulics.

fwiw, I wouldn't considering shifting at red line abusing the car - 6500 rpms is nothing on a little engine like ours. If it were that bad for the engine, the red line would be lower.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
The Redline is there for a reason!!! I go over redline constantly but on engines like B16, B18 etc etc. The L15 is not a race car & the engine is not made for speed but economy & fuel consumption thus the clutch is made to accomodate what the engine was made for. If you push the engine past its limits (wich we all do) the clutch will fail sooner than usual. PERIOD!!! Take it to the dealer & they will tell you what the problem is & fix it unless its the clutch disc they will not cover normal maintenance parts like clutch,brakes etc. etc.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
if the car wasnt made for redline then why did the manufacture put it so high... they should have made it lower.
anyways...
the more and more i drive it i find more things out. it seems like when it goes to redline that the clutch pedal is spongy... but it never comes back unless i can get it in a gear. almost feels like the fins on the pressure plate are not releasing... anyways i ordered a fidanza flywheel and an exedy stage 2 clutch. i figured if i needed a clutch i might as well get a flywheel too. ill let you guys know when it comes and when i put it in. thanks for your help!

Old 08-19-2009, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Previc93
so i have a problem that i need help with. i have a 07 mt fit with 44k and when i shift just before red line my clutch pedal feels really spongy and it wont let me shift into gear unless i pump up the pedal... but if i drive normal... it works just fine. i tried bleeding it and it still does the same thing. can somebody help me?

I vote for new clutch and plate too. do replace the throwout bearing as well.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
As I understand it, the clutch hydraulics on these cars has a damper in it. It could be the damper aging or going bad.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
if the car wasnt made for redline then why did the manufacture put it so high... they should have made it lower.
anyways...
the more and more i drive it i find more things out. it seems like when it goes to redline that the clutch pedal is spongy... but it never comes back unless i can get it in a gear. almost feels like the fins on the pressure plate are not releasing... anyways i ordered a fidanza flywheel and an exedy stage 2 clutch. i figured if i needed a clutch i might as well get a flywheel too. ill let you guys know when it comes and when i put it in. thanks for your help!
Previc I dont understand what the issue is, Im trying to help U out. Try to understand what Im typing....If you read ur manual it tells u what Rpms to shift at & none of the gears does it tell u to redline. Do u redline? Yes!! we all do. All Im saying is that according to Honda we all for the most part abuse our Fits. So to make ur Fit happier with hard driving add that stage 2 & flywheel (great choise by the way) & get an engine dampener to avoid wheel hop & TADA now the Fit will be happier

PS I still would take it to the Dealer so they can check it out & its free if ur still under warranty but do it before u install the clutch

Last edited by Necos07; 08-19-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
its over factory warranty so its not free unless it is something covered. i work at a chevy dealer and i know about what would be covered and what wouldnt be.. i was thinking maybe it would be powertrain but they dont cover clutches and they charge 100 check out time... so i figure ill put a clutch on it and if thats not it then ill take it in.

i know on corvettes weve had this exact problem that my car has and the clutch assy is what fixes it. i know the fit is nothing at all like a vette but maybe it is... i guess ill find out..... after break in time obviously

Old 08-21-2009, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
its over factory warranty so its not free unless it is something covered. i work at a chevy dealer and i know about what would be covered and what wouldnt be.. i was thinking maybe it would be powertrain but they dont cover clutches and they charge 100 check out time... so i figure ill put a clutch on it and if thats not it then ill take it in.

i know on corvettes weve had this exact problem that my car has and the clutch assy is what fixes it. i know the fit is nothing at all like a vette but maybe it is... i guess ill find out..... after break in time obviously

Clutches are like brakeopads. No warranty from wearing out. You're doing the best by replacing the clutch, disc, and throwout bearing.
You wouldn't believe the number of re-clutches Yenko did because the owners 'abused' them. Putting dynoed 550 hp thru even an aftermarket clutch wears them out pretty fast.
PS yes, they got paid.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member

I think the clutch will fix the problem. Let us know how it comes out. Did ur dealer get pissed that u bought a Honda instead of a Chevy

Old 08-24-2009, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
I think the clutch will fix the problem. Let us know how it comes out. Did ur dealer get pissed that u bought a Honda instead of a Chevy
my manager did... but i told him i work for chevy cause they break down more. why buy a car thats only gonna last 100k when i can buy a honda.... i told him i didnt want to get a car that was gonna give me problems all the time. this is the first some what major problem... and i hope... knock on wood... that i dont have any more anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Spongy clutch pedal?