1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

80km/h and up chatter/clapping

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:36 PM
80km/h and up chatter/clapping

Hey guys,

I just bought a 2007 Honda Fit automatic transmission. I took it for a spin for the first time and everything was fine and dandy. I also took it on the hwy to open her up and once i hit almost 80km/h i had this weird noise coming from the front tires. It sounded like cards in a wheel spoke or like paper rubbing against the wheel but it was very loud. Anything under 80km/h there was no sound. I'm not sure if it's a transmission problem, or something in my tire, or even the engine. Any input greatly appreciated

Old 07-27-2009, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like you have rubbing somewhere. Most likely something to do with the wheels or even the engine splash shield under the oil pan.

Let me share my experience, I had something quite similar a few months ago.

My engine splash guard was improperly installed after my last A/C cleaning job - this involves removal of the front bumper. Ideally the forward edge of the splash shield should be tucked inside the lower edge of the front bumper and secured with clips on the sides and the bottom. Mine had worked loose on the bottom when I pushed the car past 120 km/h, so it scraped quite audibly any time I went past 40 km/h.

I took the time to install it properly and it didn't happen again HTHs

Old 07-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Type 100
Sounds like you have rubbing somewhere. Most likely something to do with the wheels or even the engine splash shield under the oil pan.

Let me share my experience, I had something quite similar a few months ago.

My engine splash guard was improperly installed after my last A/C cleaning job - this involves removal of the front bumper. Ideally the forward edge of the splash shield should be tucked inside the lower edge of the front bumper and secured with clips on the sides and the bottom. Mine had worked loose on the bottom when I pushed the car past 120 km/h, so it scraped quite audibly any time I went past 40 km/h.

I took the time to install it properly and it didn't happen again HTHs
Thank you a million. You are absolutely right. The splash guard on the bottom is really loose to the point there it is hanging. Perhaps at 80km/h it hangs enough to scrape on the floor or whatever. I am sure that's what it is cause the splash guard is hanging underneath the bumper. I'll definately look into it. Thanks a million

Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by saleem
Thank you a million. You are absolutely right. The splash guard on the bottom is really loose to the point there it is hanging. Perhaps at 80km/h it hangs enough to scrape on the floor or whatever. I am sure that's what it is cause the splash guard is hanging underneath the bumper. I'll definately look into it. Thanks a million
Oh so you've looked into it? Yeah, the middle of the splash shield bows low enough to scrape the asphalt at higher speeds. It needs clips to stay flush or parallel with the sump/oil pan.

I did a DIY replacement - not really necessary in your case, but mine's kind of ripped and banged up so I went ahead. All you need are a couple of scissor jacks (to lift the front end) and a bunch of bumper clips. I think I used 6-8 for the splash shield: two for each fender behind the wheel, and 2-4 underneath.

The clips are fairly cheap, so I suggest you buy a bunch of them and keep the extra for a rainy day