1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

j's racing = high quality piece of crap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:04 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
j's racing = high quality piece of crap!!!

yea, so i had an exhaust leak so i got under my car and what did i find? my j's titanium bpipe (that i paid a small fortune for) cracked at the top flange. now i have to pay 150 bucks to get it rewelded on. thanks j's!!!

Old 07-24-2009, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
That sucks considering it cost so much.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:08 PM
i'd email them and threaten to bash their good name unless they swap it for a new one.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:14 PM
HID Addict
how does that happen? i hope it doesnt happen with my future megan exhaust >.<

Old 07-24-2009, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
where did you purchase the bpipe from?

Old 07-24-2009, 06:22 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pbz08gd3
i'd email them and threaten to bash their good name unless they swap it for a new one.
nah, emailing them wouldnt do shit. seeing that ive had the b pipe for about a year now, and the fact that they sell their products for "off road use only" which will free them from any responsibility.

i think what happen was that i more than doubled the stock horsepower. the engine flex, even with the innovative mounts put major stress on that point made it fail. the stock b pipe is back on, i am taking the j's b pipe to get rewelded by a very good welding shop. just wanted everyone to know that if you are spending this sort of money on a product, dont expect to be immune from part failure.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Is that a "AJR edition" ??

Old 07-24-2009, 06:39 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by polar_bear
Is that a "AJR edition" ??

no, i dont think there ever was an "ajr edition" b pipe. i got my bpipe from a local j's distributor before j's said F U to the majority of all their north american distributors. i mean, dont get me wrong, the b pipe is light as a feather but for those kind of prices, it should hold up a little better with daily driving+some spirited weekend driving. its supposed to be made to last on a god damn racetrack!!!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
how do you know if you're leaking?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Sorry for the failure - it is sad that they would not cover their products.

Cat :x

Old 07-24-2009, 08:13 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Contrabida Face
how do you know if you're leaking?
you mean, how do you know if you have an exhaust leak? if your car sounds like a ghetto ass hoo ride for no reason, get under there with the car running and either use soapy water on all connections or use an automotive stethoscope and listen for a hissing noise that gets louder or quieter as you test different points on the pipe.

in my case, the leak was so bad, i could feel the exhaust come out of the crack when my friend revved it.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
yeah, that's what i meant. ok, i don't think i'm leaking then but i will try the soap thing tomorrow just in case. thanks kelso.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
dude, you are getting ripped off for $150 to get it rewelded

Old 07-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
not being a smart ass....but didn't you explain in post #6 why it cracked? kinda making it your fault thus maybe not being all J's fault and being crap?

seriously kelso, I am not being or trying to be a smart ass...

Old 07-24-2009, 10:15 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
dude, you are getting ripped off for $150 to get it rewelded
nah, i called the three places in the bay area that weld titanium and they all quoted me around the same price. the cheapest was 120 and the most expensive was 160. i went with the place that quoted me 150 because they do really good work. its not an easy thing to cleanly weld titanium.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:18 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gimme
not being a smart ass....but didn't you explain in post #6 why it cracked? kinda making it your fault thus maybe not being all J's fault and being crap?

seriously kelso, I am not being or trying to be a smart ass...
yes and no. the stress shouldnt have cracked it at the weld, if the titanium bent, then yes that would have been my fault but the fact that it cracked at the weld shows bad craftsmanship. it should be able to withstand more flex than that esp. since its a high priced racing part.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
stuck in my brain.......
somebody like a year ? ago made a comment when pics of the J's Ti items came out........that the welds didnt look right, "they should be????" (had to do with color I think) sorry for the half assed info, but I do remember a comment from somebody who I think really knew what they are talking about,

Old 07-24-2009, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
dang I am cursed with this frickin memory I got

from January 07 member is from Belgium, not odd by the way as a lot of Ti comes from there and Russia, Yamaha gets most of theirs from Russia

Hondanickx

Does anyone ever looked up anything about titanium welding...?
Because i did and what i've found out is not something to laugh about...
I've asked a welding dealer about it,they said to me that titanium is very sensitive to dirt (in the air) and it needs to be protected by the welding gas a longer time then with welding steel pipes (for example).When welding titanium the most imported things to look at is that the weld Doesn't color!They said to me if the weld turns out blue/yellow you can throw it away because the weld is oxidated.The titanium welds should alway be Grey/silver from color.When looking at the j's racing welds,the muffler itselfs which is welded with a machine looks silver.But the welds on the tubes which is handwelded all have a blue color.I can't understand that a company like j's racing can do this,maybe they putted on a special coating layer later on on the welds to protect them from furter oxidating.I'm not trying to break off j's racing,because i love all their products .But when i heard this ,i just start thinking about it....

Old 07-24-2009, 10:57 PM
Ihh IS Jaaaarome!
5 Year Member
$150 for rewelded? F-that man i get that done for free ... and thats why i got custom B-pipe done with flange for cheep ...

Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BoriJDMGD3
$150 for rewelded? F-that man i get that done for free ... and thats why i got custom B-pipe done with flange for cheep ...
like i said, there are only a handful of titanium welders in the bay area. i either pay the 150 to get it rewelded or i buy a new one. what would you do?

Quick Reply: j's racing = high quality piece of crap!!!