1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

j's racing = high quality piece of crap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
thanks for the response, kelso. and i wished you lived closer...i have atitanium welder at my work. he does really nice work...government caliber

Old 07-25-2009, 02:06 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
dang I am cursed with this frickin memory I got

from January 07 member is from Belgium, not odd by the way as a lot of Ti comes from there and Russia, Yamaha gets most of theirs from Russia

Hondanickx

Does anyone ever looked up anything about titanium welding...?
Because i did and what i've found out is not something to laugh about...
I've asked a welding dealer about it,they said to me that titanium is very sensitive to dirt (in the air) and it needs to be protected by the welding gas a longer time then with welding steel pipes (for example).When welding titanium the most imported things to look at is that the weld Doesn't color!They said to me if the weld turns out blue/yellow you can throw it away because the weld is oxidated.The titanium welds should alway be Grey/silver from color.When looking at the j's racing welds,the muffler itselfs which is welded with a machine looks silver.But the welds on the tubes which is handwelded all have a blue color.I can't understand that a company like j's racing can do this,maybe they putted on a special coating layer later on on the welds to protect them from furter oxidating.I'm not trying to break off j's racing,because i love all their products .But when i heard this ,i just start thinking about it....
damn, there you go. j's racing = the sux.

i have had nothing but bad luck with j's racing products. seriously! i cant use the air duct yet because my intercooler piping is in the way of mounting it, i had to buy two sets of roll center adjusters because the first ones didnt seat right, the whole muffler fiasco and now the b pipe bullshit. everyone talks shit about spoon products being lower quality than j's, but j's is pretty low in my book now.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:53 AM
Boy oh boy I would be super pissed as well. Spending the kind of money for J's products. I hope the new welds hold up better.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
everyone talks shit about spoon products being lower quality than j's, but j's is pretty low in my book now.
Spoon Sports is basically glorified OEM Honda Parts, which for the most part isn't a bad thing, it's the fact that you're paying so much more for the minimalistic "tuning" that was done to said OEM Honda Parts. lol

As for J's Racing, I couldn't agree more, as I currently have there Front Strut Bar, C-Pillar Bar, Oil Cap, and Rad Cap.... and well the brackets on the Front Strut Bar along with the mounting hardware, as well as the Rad Cap are showing premature signs of rust! This is utter bullshit, given I not only used Blue Magic on the hardware, and Rad Cap, but also meticulously wax the brackets of the Front Strut Bar. Needless to say I'll have to at some point remove the brackets, sand them down, and repaint them black or something, as this is ridiculous.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:58 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
titanium is very particular to weld. (i have my certifications to weld grades 1-6)

the problems i see with their piece is that the welds are tiny which means the heat affected zone is small and causes alot of stress.

now to properly weld titanium you need to purge it with argon or else the titanium carbide will form little cracks in the back of the weld and over time the top weld will develop a crack as well.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:46 AM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by kylerwho
titanium is very particular to weld. (i have my certifications to weld grades 1-6)

the problems i see with their piece is that the welds are tiny which means the heat affected zone is small and causes alot of stress.

now to properly weld titanium you need to purge it with argon or else the titanium carbide will form little cracks in the back of the weld and over time the top weld will develop a crack as well.
he sounds like he knows what hes talking about and what has to be done, maybe you should get it done from him ;D

Old 07-25-2009, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
thanx kelso. i was about to buy the j's racing b-pipe this monday. not anymore

sorry for the j's racing sucking

Old 07-25-2009, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
too much psi

Old 07-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Banned
DANG!!!!!!!!!!! kelsey's Fit = J's killer

Old 07-25-2009, 12:27 PM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by goodyonsen
too much psi
lmao we dont like to hear "too much" lol

Old 07-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by goodyonsen
not enough psi
fixed,....

Old 07-25-2009, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
go k20

Old 07-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
He is going K swapped silly :P

Old 07-25-2009, 02:34 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by revd34
thanx kelso. i was about to buy the j's racing b-pipe this monday. not anymore

sorry for the j's racing sucking

hey, dont let me stop you from getting it. on the good side, it is an insanely light b pipe. compared to stock or the T1R, it weighs next to nothing. its unfortunate that this happened to mine and i am not happy with j's products at the moment but there is a reason why i am getting it fixed and going to continue using it rather than fixing it and selling it. because, as far as weight reduction goes, its one of the best mods you can do.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Banned
Maybe excessive or extreme heat from your turbo kit caused it. Handmade stuff is not perfect. My wing had an imperfect clear coat applied. However, I talked to my distributor and got credit for other stuff... J's Racing LEDs.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:48 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by junktea1
Maybe excessive or extreme heat from your turbo kit caused it. Handmade stuff is not perfect. My wing had an imperfect clear coat applied. However, I talked to my distributor and got credit for other stuff... J's Racing LEDs.
nope.

melting point of sus304 stainless steel (T1R test pipe that is still in tact) is 2550F. melting point of titanium is 3034F.

it doesnt get hot enough for either surface to become malleable. its just a bad welding job.

my buddy who is rebuilding a wrecked lamborghini right now said something so true. we went to go look at an unwrecked murciealago so he could measure gaps in the body panels. every gap was different. the car is just not put together with care.
he said "lamborghini puts their cars together sloppy and use the excuse that they are handmade. thats not an excuse for bad craftsmanship."

Last edited by kelsodeez; 07-25-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:27 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spooling
go k20
i am, but i will still use my bpipe. i just have to get a custom test pipe made.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:32 PM
tell them the car was off road used, what do they know. complain about how you paid top dollar for performance parts you thought would withstand the pressure and instead they came up short. the following for j's parts from fit owners is pretty big im sure their reputation is worth them just exchanging the piece to shut you up. let them re-weld it and sell it as clearance or special item. let them claim it as a loss on their taxes lmao.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:59 PM
its unfortunate it happened man. This is the first time i think most of us have heard of Js pipe cracking. So its a bad weld job, maybe they get sloppy every 1 out of 50.
I would contact them, its worth a try. Who knows, after exchanging a few emails and pics they might just say, "oops, our bad, we'll replace it for you." I wouldn't get it welded till you've talked to a Js associate first. Besides, my pops used to weld aircraft parts when he was in the service, and he still welds a little bit here and there. He's said in the past that you should avoid welding the same area twice after a break, you might as well just toss it. The joint/bend/knuckle/addition that was previously welded, and didn't hold up, will never be as strong as a first weld. I'm not an expert, so if you haven't made an appointment yet, i'll hit up my pops and see if he can help with anything.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
hey, dont let me stop you from getting it. on the good side, it is an insanely light b pipe. compared to stock or the T1R, it weighs next to nothing. its unfortunate that this happened to mine and i am not happy with j's products at the moment but there is a reason why i am getting it fixed and going to continue using it rather than fixing it and selling it. because, as far as weight reduction goes, its one of the best mods you can do.
i know it is awesome but it justifies buying the rear disc conversion, but then again rear drums are just as good. what do you think?

Quick Reply: j's racing = high quality piece of crap!!!