1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Problem starting the car! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Problem starting the car! Help!

So the other day the car decided that it wouldn't start on the first try, but on the 3rd, 4th or 5th time. All day yesterday it did the same thing. But if you shut it off and restart, it'll start back up right away. Problem only occurs when the car sits. I don't think it is the battery or the starter because it sounds like its turning over strong. My friend and I think it might be the fuel system, but I want to know if anyone else had this problem. I really don't want to buy that $144 battery the dealer is pushing and it not be the problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 07-01-2009, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
there are three things you need to start a car: fuel, spark, and air. you can troubleshoot the problem by going down the line

put your car into the ignition II position but don't start it. you should be able to hear some fuel spray. if you don't hear anything, the fuel delivery would be the obvious place to start. good luck!

my crx had the same problem you've mentioned. after new spark plugs, dizzy cap, plugs, and an overhauled starter it ended up being a bad ignition coil

Old 07-01-2009, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
my friend's nissan versa is doing this right now. it's turning but i won't start. it takes him about 2 or 3 tries for it to start up after the car has been sitting for a few hours. we figured out what was going on and we've concluded that it's the fuel pressure regulator. we're going to fix it this weekend.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Contrabida Face
my friend's nissan versa is doing this right now. it's turning but i won't start. it takes him about 2 or 3 tries for it to start up after the car has been sitting for a few hours. we figured out what was going on and we've concluded that it's the fuel pressure regulator. we're going to fix it this weekend.
I think I figured it out. Two weeks ago, I converted my keys to a flip-out/switchblade key fob. During troubleshooting today I noticed a slight rattle in the key fob. I grabbed my spare key from the house and tried it. The car fires up every time now. I opened up the switchblade key fob and found the RF security chip had come loose and was rattling around in there. So sometimes the RF chip was close enough to the sensor and other times it wasn't. Check if the RF chip in your friend's key is loose or try to start the car with the spare. I *heart* technology. Thanks all for your help! https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/imag...es/biggrin.gif