1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

30k Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 AM
30k Maintenance

My 08' Fit Sport just passed 30k miles. I would like to keep up on required maintenance however not convinced I need to go to the dealership and spend $375. I have been regular on oil changes (every 3k) Recently had tire rotation. I can do the air & cabin filter. How about a transmission fluid flush? Or spark plugs? These are both items the dealer and local repair shop are reccomending. All feedback is appreciated,

Old 06-17-2009, 01:42 PM
yeah im worrying about the same stuff i just passed 30k

Old 06-22-2009, 06:06 PM
After prying my dealership service department a bit more here is what I came up with:

For $375 a majority of the work to be performed is "Inspection"
-Tie Rods, Steering, boots
-Suspension components
-Driveshaft boots
-Parking brake adjustments
-Brake hoses & lines
-Front & Rear Brakes
-Exhaust system
-Fuel lines & connections
-Air filter
-Dust & Pollen filter
-Inspect & adjust drive belts
-Replace transfer filter
-Replace coolant
-Replace oil & filter
-Multi point inspection

Additional Cost for Manual transmission fluid replacement

I recently had new front tires and brakes so I know I am good there for now.

Also, they aren't even reccomending this maintenance/service until 37,500 miles.

So for now I am going to get an oil change, replace the filters myself and call it good??? Again, is there anything I am overlooking here? Thanks

Old 06-22-2009, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
For that $375, if they find suspension parts to be out of alignment that's another fee, correct? My steering wheel veers to the right these days and I'd like to make sure everything's good but for that fee they won't fix anything, will they? I am rapidly approaching 36,000 miles.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
^ i would just get an alignment.

If you just do an oil change and replace your cabin filter and air filter, you'll save yourself $300 worth of pointless inspections.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 AM
I agree with the above...All of this stuff is inspection only, and you can easily inspect a lot of these things yourself ie; suspension, exhaust, brakes and cables......etc. An oil & filter change and tire rotation are about all you need. If you didn't drop a new cabin and air filter at 15k miles, definitely do that now.

I can see a manual trans fluid flush and refill at 30k (especially with the way the Fit's manual shifting can behave). However, I have never known of a car that needs new spark plus at 30k...That one I'm going to look into mself

Old 06-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
usually 30K is about when i sell my cars, but ive not encounted one modern car (other than pos subaru's and my previous 06 civic EX sedan) where it needed servicing by the dealer due to flaws and warranty repair.

just inspect the areas yourselves, get an oil change, i'd replace the airfilter in the intake, rotate/ck tires as needed.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:00 PM
They just asked me about this last week when I went in for the oil change and tire rotation. I didn't have the money... and now from the sound of it I will be keeping my money. It all sounds like inspection b/s and I'm experiencing zero problems. I'll do the air filter and cabin filter myself. Next time they rotate the tires they can balance them if necessary.

Is there anyone out there in Fit world that actually recommends this service?

Old 06-29-2009, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
HMMMMMMM....

tell me guys....

where in your fit manual does it say that you have a '30k' maintenance?

you dont.

you have a maintenence minder that tells you what to have done and when.

any dealer pushing a maintenance schedule based on mileage is ridiculous as the fit (and honda in general) does not go about it in such a fashion.

you have a letter (usually a or b) and a number following it that distinguishes what needs to be done.

dont EVER call and ask them for the price for the '30k or whatever k' maintenance interval price, because you fit doesn't look at its service needs that way and neither should you.

NOW

if you DO so happen to have a number on that pops up on your maintenance reminder that asks to have all those things inspected, forgo it and just tell the dealer you want the 'a-1' service which is the oil and oil filter change and a tire rotation(if you need it.) your maintenance minder also informs you of what filters need to be replaced so dont sweat it.

to the OP: you are changing your oil WAY to often. granted i drive about 70% highway, but my oil changes on my fit are about every 7k. (i've got 52k on the clock and still running strong.)

the fact that you are changing it so often reinforces the notion that you are not 'minding' your maintenance minder. read the manual. you know your fit is not scheduled to have new spark plugs until you reach the tune up interval? and that happens at 100k!

Last edited by eldaino; 06-29-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
So, is the manual trans fluid flush a simple drain-n-fill DIY job? I am at 31k on my 08.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
it should be. though i cant imagine you needing to replace it so soon unless you really work your tranny.

(lol that sounds funny.)

Old 06-30-2009, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
That's why I prefer to maintain my owns cars. If you notice your shifting is getting harder or rougher, changing the tranny fluid should help.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
You can also check out your maintenance book it tells you all you need and when.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:51 AM
dealers are rip offs nowadays. do the work yourself. save big cash and get familiar with the vehicle. short of cam work or real heavy duty tuning, its really not that difficult. like it was mentioned earlier, dealers are just "inspecting" at 30K, i would just give a LOF(lube, oil, filter) and check the fluid in your radiator. you could make sure your gap is on par with the plugs but in my experience, imports rarely need this. they are just too effecient. if you use the a/c alot, then check your belt condition and make sure it is taught. other than that, wait till 50K.

one other thing you can do is rotate your tires....saves money and gas! make sure they are filled properly, and are wearing evenly.

just a thought......