1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Lowering the fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Lowering the fit

I've been looking into lowering the fit now for a while. How low would be good? I don't want to slam it to the ground b/c there is a lot of speed bumps and crappy pavement around here. I also don't want to give very much if any ride comfort. So what should i look for?`1

Old 06-01-2009, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
A 1"-1.5" drop would be fine for your purposes. Either Tanabe's GF210 or Tein's S-Tech springs would do the job.

It's a pity Tanabe doesn't sell their NF210s in the US because that's my recommendation for a 1.5" drop and nice ride quality. Lots of satisfied NF210 users over here, even with our dilapidated roads.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:34 PM
I was thinking a 1" drop as well. That way I have some clearance and people can tell that I have done something to it.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
i just dropped mine on spoon progressive springs and i originally thought i was gonna be hella low

but the ride is still very comfortable and i dont have to slow way down to go over speed bumps

id post pics but i dont have any of my car yet
this weekend hopefully

Old 06-02-2009, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
most springs wont drop you too low, i was on skunk2's and was in the same position, i didnt want to go too low but those were good for me

Old 06-02-2009, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
hey guys, it would be very nice if you can give an aproximate of how much lower your car are with the new spring/suspension setup you have got.

I am in the same position as BrianT: dont want to drop it too low but want it lower than stock. 1" seems nice.
I will fit a "test-lowering-kit" on it soon just to see how much I can lower it. The kit is made of some brackets that just squeeze the springs. I'am not keeping it on permanent, just as a test. I dont know if the kit is ment for long term use. But I can test out diffrent degrees of lowering easy witout cutting the springs.

here is a picture of the kit used as making the spring higher. Just flip the brackets around and you can use it to shortening the springs.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
Skunk2's give a nice drop, but may be a little too rough of a ride for you as they are a little stiffer than a lot of the others on the market. I really like them though.
You might try Tein's for smoother ride quality.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:52 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
For the mildest drop with good performance, Swifts are good. Front is 1 finger gap, rear is 3 finger gap - the springs are pretty damn stiff as well.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:09 AM
5 Year Member
i was just going to suggest Swift Springs, i hear they have a very mild drop!

Old 06-02-2009, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
1" drop for most of the guys on this thread huh?

Not sure if they're sold in the US, but Tein's High-Tech springs drop just about that low. They're almost identical to the S.Techs except for the height (S.Techs drop to 1.5") and the color (S.Techs are green, High-Techs are gold).

Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 AM
You really should get coilovers. That way you can drop as little or as much as you want. Springs you're stuck with being low.

Get Endura-Techs to keep similar-to-stock ride comfort and moderate drop.

Or just be slammed and piss people off behind you like I do when going over R/R tracks and bad patches of road. **** em, you're taking care of your car, and theirs too. I hate when I see people going 50mph+ over r/r tracks. They are very bumpy!

Old 06-02-2009, 11:32 AM
I've been looking into lowering the fit now for a while. How low would be good? I don't want to slam it to the ground b/c there is a lot of speed bumps and crappy pavement around here. I also don't want to give very much if any ride comfort. So what should i look for?`1
Me too!
We have lots of hills here, so going too low would be a mistake, but I do want to close some of the wheel gap. Ride quality is also important to me as its a dd.
I talked to a local guy (installer) and he suggested Eibachs, but I'm thinking Eibachs would drop it too low. He says they are the best and what he would recommend. I was leaning more towards Tanabe GF210s.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Last edited by Firefly; 06-02-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah that... um NO.

Originally Posted by F0NIX
here is a picture of the kit used as making the spring higher. Just flip the brackets around and you can use it to shortening the springs.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:07 PM
just dump it

Old 06-02-2009, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
I've always gone with Eibach..Sportlines will drop your car considerably(about 2"). Great if you like riding pretty low, but that was way too low for me, had to be careful on speedbumps and such so I wouldn't scrape, however the car looked super nice with such a drop. On the other hand, on my very last car(07 Si) I used Prokits and they were awesome imo. They drop the car just perfect, clear the wheel gap and had no rubbing or scraping issues still offering great handling capabilities, almost as good as the Sportlines. Some ppl describe Eibachs as a little rough on the confort side, but to me they are the perfect springs. So, my 2 cents.. go with Eibach Prokits..

Last edited by fit-aficionado; 06-02-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by fit-aficionado
I've always gone with Eibach..Sportlines will drop your car considerably(about 2"). Great if you like riding pretty low, but that was way too low for me, had to be careful on speedbumps and such so I wouldn't scrape, however the car looked super nice with such a drop. On the other hand, on my very last car(07 Si) I used Prokits and they were awesome imo. They drop the car just perfect, clear the wheel gap and had no rubbing or scraping issues still offering great handling capabilities, almost as good as the Sportlines. Some ppl describe Eibachs as a little rough on the confort side, but to me they are the perfect springs. So, my 2 cents.. go with Eibach Prokits..

Eibach Prokit is what was recommended to me... but I wasn't sure the installer was just pushing a brand on me. I've read some positives on Swift and Tanabes, but am not as familiar with the Eibachs, so thanks for the input.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
Like I said, I had them on three of my cars and they've never let me down.

Last edited by fit-aficionado; 06-02-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Firefly
Me too!
We have lots of hills here, so going too low would be a mistake, but I do want to close some of the wheel gap. Ride quality is also important to me as its a dd.
I talked to a local guy (installer) and he suggested Eibachs, but I'm thinking Eibachs would drop it too low. He says they are the best and what he would recommend. I was leaning more towards Tanabe GF210s.

Would appreciate any feedback.
i got the eibach pro-kit perfect drop not too low. i am a dd of 160 miles a day and i don't bottom out and go over speed bumps just fine. its 1.2 in the front, and 1.4 in the back. i put 17 tenzo wheels with a 60,000 mile tire and no camber needed with the drop ride isn't too bad, and no rubbing what so ever.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Are you guys changing out shocks/struts with the springs or for this car is it ok to just swap springs? Will lowering springs cause premature wear of the shocks/struts?

Old 06-02-2009, 07:52 PM
I kept my same shocks. So far no sign of premature wear or anything. Got 7,500 in 2 months of having car with springs put in at 1,000 miles and everything is perfect.

Quick Reply: Lowering the fit