1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

GPS tracking system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Probably is... Kinda stupid becuase I bought it. I don't mind telling my parents where I am and things like that, but they are following me and almost stocking me. I mean they are parents and they do have the right and responsibility to do that and that is probably what try should do... But are they overdoing it? I having more troubles with my parents now then ever before.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thejroisgo
LOL, these are just like one of those spy cam detector gadgets that dont work - it just gives the buyer a " peace of mind" - while the device dont do ANYTHING

You can get the same or more "advance" items in Hong Kong for around the same price - but in HK dollars (so divide the amt by 7.7 - No tax too and you can bargain =D)

Last edited by Guinness; 05-11-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by goodyonsen
Probably is... Kinda stupid becuase I bought it. I don't mind telling my parents where I am and things like that, but they are following me and almost stocking me. I mean they are parents and they do have the right and responsibility to do that and that is probably what try should do... But are they overdoing it? I having more troubles with my parents now then ever before.
Alright now we are getting down to it more.
If you have been trustworthy and honest about where you are, they really should not follow or stalk IMHO.
If not, earn the trust back over a couple months and have a talk with them.
To be blunt, there needs to be balance between caring for your kid and being control freaks.
Balance on most things is always the tough part
or
with the most boring things you do say " dad, mom, since you are here anyway, come hang out with me at a car meet for 8 hours, I insist!"
That would probably cure them

Old 05-11-2009, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
All conflicts can be solved through proper communications between both parties. It was Mother's Day yesterday, did you offer to help you mom and maybe attempt to address this issue with her?

I grew up in a Chinese family so I know exactly how its like to have no freedom - but now that I look back (I just turn 30 btw), my parents kept an eye on me because they dont want me to get into trouble...

Imo, I dun think there is any GPS device - They know where you are simply because they are your parents and they can tell you are lying to them. Heck, I can tell my girlfriend is lying when she says the new LV handbag cost CAD300 bucks when its actually CAD650 (Her stmt just came in yesterday...)

We think we can lie to anyone but really, we are just lying to ourselves =\

Anyway, be honest with your parents, talk to them peacefully and address any issue you have with them. They are your parents, so they want nothing more other than your happiness.

BTW, you are really lucky, you have a car when u are 17~ When I was 17, I was on public transit~

Old 05-11-2009, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
To be blunt, there needs to be balance between caring for your kid and being control freaks.
Agree

So play your part as a trustworthy guy and show your parents that you are a responsible person. If you can prove that, there is no reason for your parents to stalk you or anything - they prolly rather stay home and mind their own business =\

Anyway, Good luck~! Getting grounded by parents is part of the grow up process - I was grounded for using Geocities chat room when I was suppose to do homework back then

Old 05-11-2009, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Haha geocities that made me laugh. I decided that I'm just going to be upfront with my parents and tell them everything.

It all comes down to car parts though. They pretty much only catch me lying is when I'm going to get stuff for my car. The only reason I lie is because if I told them where I was actually going they would not let me go.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member

It all comes down to car parts though. They pretty much only catch me lying is when I'm going to get stuff for my car. The only reason I lie is because if I told them where I was actually going they would not let me go.
Now that my friend, many of us married/in relationship guys can relate to. (Guinness with his GF fudging the price above, so wommens do it too)

"Mike are those new wheels on your car?" my wife asks
"Yeah but it is cheaper to do it that way than swap the snow tires back and forth" I reply, and I am NOT being even close to 100% honest!

The way I rationalize that is, I am a good husband and father, don't chase strange puss, don't do drugs, and don't drink often or much.

But I know this car/car part addiction many of us have can be an issue.
There is no cure, I just try to take it slow and not be impulsive and try to get the most bang for the buck. I ask myself what can I get for it on ebay 2 years from now in case I get the passion for a completely different car (that thought goes into my purchasing decision believe it or not as does how hard will it be to return to stock)

Above all, I wish your parents Knew that the car passion/addiction is really one of the better ones. You could after all, have issues with things that are far more dangerous and expensive

Last edited by Tork; 05-11-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Ya I'm here. I am lucky I'm just kinda annoyed. Idk what to do...

At least you realize you are lucky. That's a start.

I can tell you exactly what to do. Try telling the truth, all the time. Then perhaps someday your parents will trust you. But it takes a lot longer to build trust than to lose it................

Pick
(Speaking as a parent who has been lied to by sons....)

Old 05-11-2009, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pick

I can tell you exactly what to do. Try telling the truth, all the time. Then perhaps someday your parents will trust you. But it takes a lot longer to build trust than to lose it................
The tough part here is it is about his passion for cars, that is pretty much the whole issue. If his folks are not car enthusiasts they wont understand at all.
Other than spending some $$ he is doing no harm IMO

Old 05-11-2009, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Run for the border...j/k

As i was growing up it was just me and my mother until I was about 8 when she marreid my step dad. My mom and stepdad (i call him dad and consider him more of my dad then my bio father) were up front with me and I was up front with them. They always knew who I was with and where I was not to be nosy or have a tight leash but for sake of knowing i was safe and not doing dumb stuff.
On the flip side my GF of 6 1/2 years is the complete opposite with her family, they tend to keep to themselves and really not ask questions or talk about things going on in their life. I find it strange cause i am very open with my parents and she isn't.

Moral of the story...be honest with your parents. They may be seeing the car part purchases as wasting money?? Your a senior in H.S. (i think) this is a very influential time in your life and very dangerous especiually with all the graduations/end of the year paries coming up. They are just keeping an eye on their pride and joy.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Guinness
LOL, these are just like one of those spy cam detector gadgets that dont work - it just gives the buyer a " peace of mind" - while the device dont do ANYTHING
Not really, one of my co-workers has the more expensive gps jammers and it knocked out the signal to my garmin gps. /thread jack

I'd probably just talk to your parents and see about getting more freedom. They're always gonna be there hovering over you to some extent while you're in their nest though.

Last edited by thejroisgo; 05-11-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
the whole purpose for me looking after my kids is i want to
make sure they can remain kids as long as they are kids. i
dont want them making unnecessary adult decisions early,
or jumping the gun without taking a broader look ahead.

there's plenty of time to do adult things later on in life.

that's really what it comes down to. i think your parents are
thinking the same as any responsible parent would. they want
you to be happy your entire life, not just today or tomorrow.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Sucks that you think they would go that far as to track you via GPS. Or maybe your just over exaggerating and they just happen to catch you in bad moments. I'm 17 and I stay out of trouble with the parents easy. Just do as they say to gain your freedom. When they know they can trust you they won't have a problem letting you out.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
the whole purpose for me looking after my kids is i want to
make sure they can remain kids as long as they are kids. i
dont want them making unnecessary adult decisions early,
or jumping the gun without taking a broader look ahead.

there's plenty of time to do adult things later on in life.

that's really what it comes down to. i think your parents are
thinking the same as any responsible parent would. they want
you to be happy your entire life, not just today or tomorrow.
I aint a dad yet but I can see where my parents stand. Its really hard to be parents - specially with the economy these days.

Modding car is fun, but really, there is no end to it - how much money are you willing to spend? a couple of hundred bucks here and there.. oit goes a long way. My car cost around 20K MSRP and then I throw in almost another 15K or so for all the mods... and its STILL NOT COMPLETE.

If you are being honest with your parents, who knows... maybe they get u nice set of 17" or coilovers on your 18th birthday =)

Old 05-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I aint a dad yet but I can see where my parents stand. Its really hard to be parents - specially with the economy these days.

Modding car is fun, but really, there is no end to it - how much money are you willing to spend? a couple of hundred bucks here and there.. oit goes a long way. My car cost around 20K MSRP and then I throw in almost another 15K or so for all the mods... and its STILL NOT COMPLETE.

If you are being honest with your parents, who knows... maybe they get u nice set of 17" or coilovers on your 18th birthday =)
wow, you sure luv your Fit! dont forget all the tools you have too. the tangents are quite expensive when you add it all together.

i have not and will not be buying anything expensive for my kids for their bdays. they will earn it themselves as how i was brought up. but i guess they are lucky that they wont have to buy too many tools to work on their cars cause i'll let them use my tools...if they are good.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
Alright now we are getting down to it more.
with the most boring things you do say " dad, mom, since you are here anyway, come hang out with me at a car meet for 8 hours, I insist!"

Wish this didn't work on the people you DID want to bring to 6+ hour long meets... My son loves the meets, but... he mommy said nah~ she rather play The Sims... or my brother... "I have raids all day"

*sigh*

I enjoy the meets and the people I meet. But I'm a dad, and my kid is... safe. He may not be living with me at the moment, but I sure as hell know where he's been, who sees him when he goes to the doctors, or how he is doing in daycare. Honestly, it costs a lot, but knowing how my kid is growing up, and how he is developing as a boy really helps me as a father to know what he needs in he future.

-Anthony

Old 05-11-2009, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
The funny thing is they probably have that program that remembers every key stroke and every website you've been on, so they've been monitoring this thread the whole time. Good luck with your plans.

PS Don't lie to your parents.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Something funny I just thought about. He says it's his phone, but I'm sure the plan is his parents....

The phone is meaningless, the real money is in the phone plan. costs many times more than a phone does in a year, and a contract is normally 2 years.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit4Trav

Moral of the story...be honest with your parents. They may be seeing the car part purchases as wasting money?? Your a senior in H.S. (i think) this is a very influential time in your life and very dangerous especiually with all the graduations/end of the year paries coming up. They are just keeping an eye on their pride and joy.
im a junior, just an old one, so i still have time to go. that is true though, they are great parents by keeping an eye on me and making sure im safe.

Originally Posted by Ciggy
Sucks that you think they would go that far as to track you via GPS. Or maybe your just over exaggerating and they just happen to catch you in bad moments. I'm 17 and I stay out of trouble with the parents easy. Just do as they say to gain your freedom. When they know they can trust you they won't have a problem letting you out.
just as any good parent would do, they always are calling me and checking in with me, and i dont have a problem with that. i just want freedom when it comes to car related things.

ya! see... i pay for my mods... i pay for the gas to drive to purchase the mods... i pay to complete the mod... and i do 90% of the work myself.

i work as much as i can in my busy schedule... but i earn roughly around 100-120 bucks a week. i dont drive that much, just around town... so gas isnt that bad, and i dont have to pay for food or shelter since im still living with my parents, sooo i do have the money to spend on my car. its not expensive things either. the j's lip i was planning on getting (the point to which i lied and all this got started) im picking up for 50 bucks. just to give you an idea, like its not that much money compaired to the amount of money i have saved away for more important things (college, home, family eventually). modding my car is an obbsession, and as said before luckily it is not a bad obbsession, and i cant stop doing it.

seriously like 15 minutes ago, my mother flipped out because i told her i was going to put my Buddyclub P-1s back on and change the tires to the ones i currently have on my stockers that im rolling on now. she immediately said no... because first (this is her talking) they dont fit, second it cost to much, third they will blow out, and forth because i said no. im just like woooow. see and this is the kind of circumstance that leeds me to lieing.

just another example... i got a j's racing grill from the user umiken (david) and he drove it down to my house because me and my friends were chillin and i told him to come chill with us becuase he is one of my friends. my mom siad... what is this. i said its a front grill that i got from david for a good price. she says... ok it looks good. i said thanks but im going to repaint it and fix it up (it was white and in bad condition). she was totally fine with that and after i installed it my mom and dad complemented me on how well i painted it and installed it and on how good it looks.

i can just go on and on but ill stop

Originally Posted by Flyin172s
The funny thing is they probably have that program that remembers every key stroke and every website you've been on, so they've been monitoring this thread the whole time. Good luck with your plans.

PS Don't lie to your parents.
i wouldn't be suprised if they do. seriously. thanks.

Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
Something funny I just thought about. He says it's his phone, but I'm sure the plan is his parents....

The phone is meaningless, the real money is in the phone plan. costs many times more than a phone does in a year, and a contract is normally 2 years.
the plan is a family plan that me and my mom share, however i have unlimited text and data (because of it being an iphone). contract is a normal 2 year. my dad works for at&t, so maybe that has something to do with it? idk.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
my dad works for at&t, so maybe that has something to do with it? idk.

That might be it.... =P

Quick Reply: GPS tracking system?