1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

I'm almost at 5K and 20% oil life. Should I change it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I'm almost at 5K and 20% oil life. Should I change it?

Should I take it to the dealer for its first oil change? Do I wait for the light to come on? Is there anything I should watch out for from the dealer? Do I need to go with synthetic? Any other tips?

Thanks. I still love my car as much as I did the first time I saw it.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:29 PM
you should just waite for the light to come on, and the oil change shouldnt cost no more then 35-40 bucks at the dealer, and you dont need synthetic. you can also ask your dealer what they are going to do and cost and if they are doing extra stuff you dont need then you can just tell them to only do oil change.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
At 15% the maintenance reminder will display the service code, usually the letter A or B followed by a number. Its up to you to take it to the dealer or not, but if you go to the dealer keep an eye on your Fit. For example, at McDavid Honda right off of I-45 I've gotten my oil changed twice with Quaker State.

The first time the oil was changed the guy almost smoked my front end on the ground by backing up too fast off of car lift. The second time the person doing the service was more cautious, but I had to flag him down from bringing the car through the wash and he didn't lock it after returning the keys to the service desk.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Yes it is about time for you to change it. If it goes down to 15% you will see a wrench pop up on your pannel by the oil life guage. Also I would go with a synthetic blend not the full synthetic. Dealer said full synthetic is waste of cash but I do not know for sure. Oh well hope this helps

Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
At 15% the maintenance reminder will display the service code, usually the letter A or B followed by a number. Its up to you to take it to the dealer or not, but if you go to the dealer keep an eye on your Fit. For example, at McDavid Honda right off of I-45 I've gotten my oil changed twice with Quaker State.

The first time the oil was changed the guy almost smoked my front end on the ground by backing up too fast off of car lift. The second time the person doing the service was more cautious, but I had to flag him down from bringing the car through the wash and he didn't lock it after returning the keys to the service desk.
I will never take my eyes off my baby!!! And I guess you don't allow the dealer to wash your car?? Because of swirls, scratches, etc.? I will allow them to vacuum mine!!! Ha ha.

Do you think Quaker State oil is good or is there a better brand?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rampage289
Yes it is about time for you to change it. If it goes down to 15% you will see a wrench pop up on your pannel by the oil life guage. Also I would go with a synthetic blend not the full synthetic. Dealer said full synthetic is waste of cash but I do not know for sure. Oh well hope this helps
Thanks! I am going to have it done on Friday then.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Well the reasons why I didn't let them wash the Fit is because for starters its easy to get a scratch or swirl in the paint. Along with that I've read on here that someone's Fit got dominated in the automated car wash which ripped off their antenna and damaged the wheels, door and side mirror. Plus the automated washes don't to a good of a job as by hand.

As for Quaker State, it gets the job done and lasted me a hair over 7k miles. They may have a different brand on hand if you ask.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i would just wait it out until your 15% and wrench lamp turns on.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:43 PM
I just had mine changed for the first time about two weeks ago- waited until it got to 15% & the little wrench light came on.
Took it to my local Express Lube. I've been using them for years with two of my previous cars so I actually felt more comfortable with them doing it than the dealership. It cost me more though.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
My A1 code + wrench @ 15% turned on today. I was driving home and I saw the wrench and was like "WHAT THE!!..." But I pressed the button and it went away. Guess I'll be doing my oil change on monday. Pennzoil Platinum for me. $20 for a 5qt jug at Wal-Mart.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i would just wait it out until your 15% and wrench lamp turns on.
You jinxed me! It came on the very next day!!

Seemed like it was fast to go from 30% to 15%. Now I hafta go to the dealer on Monday.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
My A1 code + wrench @ 15% turned on today. I was driving home and I saw the wrench and was like "WHAT THE!!..." But I pressed the button and it went away. Guess I'll be doing my oil change on monday. Pennzoil Platinum for me. $20 for a 5qt jug at Wal-Mart.
Yeah i nearly crapped too. But then I realized it was just the oil change that i had been expecting.

Did you know it will also tell you to "check gas cap?"

Old 05-09-2009, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
It typically does that whenever the temperatures fluctuate a lot; at least for me it did. Getting the locking gas cap is supposed to stop that.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
It typically does that whenever the temperatures fluctuate a lot; at least for me it did. Getting the locking gas cap is supposed to stop that.
Well, my gas cap was actually OFF so it had a reason! I swear I didn't leave it off, and if it had been in a parking lot I'd thought someone had gotten into my tank, but it was in the driveway next to the house that day. I hadn't driven it. Who knows...i've been a space-head lately.

I still probably need to get the gas cap, gonna be taking it to community college in the summer, at night. Maybe the wheel locks too...

Old 05-10-2009, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
For wheel locks, I'd stay away from the ones from Honda. Thiefs have still stole rims that had those on there. See if you can get some Gorilla Key lugs for your wheels.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Well the reasons why I didn't let them wash the Fit is because for starters its easy to get a scratch or swirl in the paint. Along with that I've read on here that someone's Fit got dominated in the automated car wash which ripped off their antenna and damaged the wheels, door and side mirror.
That explain why my front driver's side wheel got scratched. I'm usually very
careful when I parallel park, never too close to the curb.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, usually i pass on the dealer's free carwash cause they include too many free extra's... swirls, damage to paint, scratched wheels, stains inside, etc.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Oil Life

If you read you manual it will tell you that you do not need to do anything until your yellow wrench light comes on on the dash. Then it will give a code underneath, which you will need to pass on to the Honda technician at the time you book your apointment.

Regarding synthetic oil it is advised NOT to switch to synthetic until you have at least 20,000 Km on the vehicle. This ensures that all the engine parts are properly worn in and working properly. I have had my Fit for a year now and love it. A peppy little car with good gas mileage and although it does look a little odd I think it looks sharp with fancy wheels and tinted windows.

For further questions you should consult your owners manual first then ask the Honda dealer. I found them knowledgeable and more than willing to answer any questions I had that I could not find in the book.

Have fun.

Originally Posted by Juliane
Should I take it to the dealer for its first oil change? Do I wait for the light to come on? Is there anything I should watch out for from the dealer? Do I need to go with synthetic? Any other tips?

Old 05-10-2009, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Take it in when it hits 15%. I have my dealership do the change since it only costs $26. They also check and fill (if necessary) all the other fluids except for gas (darn it). I have had my Fit for a year and 24,000 miles, and haven't had to add windshield washer fluid yet.

You don't need to go synthetic if you don't want to, but you could if you want to. Synthetic oils are fine from DAY ONE in a car (although you may want to add something with more zinc in it if you just rebuilt the motor).

Old 05-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Juliane

Personally I'd wait until 15% or longer (but not 0%)

The reason is Honda uses a TON of molybdenum (sp?) in the factory oil to help break in the engine. There is an oil analysis posted recently were you can see this.

Quick Reply: I'm almost at 5K and 20% oil life. Should I change it?