1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

can it be done - base to sport conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:33 PM
can it be done - base to sport conversion

I have a salvage base automatic model fit. Wanting to bump up some features to the sport model. While I have searched, it doesn't seem like anyone has tried to buy the necessary parts to put OEM cruise into a base model.

Here is the parts list I think is needed (part numbers from bernardi)
36770-SLN-A01 - SWITCH ASSY., AUTO CRUISE SET - 53.03
77901-SLN-A00 - SUB-WIRE, CABLE REEL - 15.03
77901-SLN-A10 - SUB-WIRE, CABLE REEL - 15.03
- though I am unsure which subire I would need

My assumption is the wiring is the same on all cars and the ECU is the same, simply need to plug it in..... this is the case with my toyota pickup

That said, I think buying the paddle shifters for 37 bucks/each could potentially give you that feature as well:
78560-SLN-A81ZA
78565-SLN-A81ZA

I am also interested in simply installing the sport model Escutcheon console - part number: 54710-SLN-A62ZA for $37.03. This would allow me to get the JDM console with arm rest.

Anyone advise if this has been tried?

Old 05-05-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm not sure if adding just the paddles would enable the Base auto to function as the Sport auto would. I seem to recall the Sport auto tranny has a detent for the use of the paddles. The Base auto has P R N D, the Sport auto has P R N D S And while you can use the paddles in Drive you don't get the same function as you do in S. For this you may need a different transmission computer? Not real sure as I have the manual tranny.... You might call Bernardi Honda and ask them if the paddles would do what you think they will.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
I'm not sure if adding just the paddles would enable the Base auto to function as the Sport auto would. I seem to recall the Sport auto tranny has a detent for the use of the paddles. The Base auto has P R N D, the Sport auto has P R N D S And while you can use the paddles in Drive you don't get the same function as you do in S. For this you may need a different transmission computer? Not real sure as I have the manual tranny.... You might call Bernardi Honda and ask them if the paddles would do what you think they will.
My thought is that once plugged in, the ecu will recognize them and magically open up the features...

I am more concerned with the oem cruise upgrade. On my 08 toyota tundra, I simply bought the small stalk switch and a wiring harness. Plugged it in and it worked.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:17 AM
base and sports have different gauge clusters. For example, the front Fog light icon in the sport dash, is not present in the base dash. Another example, the sport fit dome lights fade on and off, while the base dome light is instant on/off. Why is that any concern? well, like many other things on the Fit, the controls are built into the gauge cluster. I would assume that for starters the base dash would not have the proper displays to show the manumatic mode of the sport auto tranny. And worst case, the paddle shift operations are somehow controlled, or at the very least processed through, the gauge cluster.

The car might be pre-wired for it, but I'd guess you need a sport gauge cluster and possibly a sport transmission ECU along with the parts you've listed to do a proper base-to-sport auto conversion. And those things aren't cheap.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by j5ive
base and sports have different gauge clusters. For example, the front Fog light icon in the sport dash, is not present in the base dash. Another example, the sport fit dome lights fade on and off, while the base dome light is instant on/off. Why is that any concern? well, like many other things on the Fit, the controls are built into the gauge cluster. I would assume that for starters the base dash would not have the proper displays to show the manumatic mode of the sport auto tranny. And worst case, the paddle shift operations are somehow controlled, or at the very least processed through, the gauge cluster.

The car might be pre-wired for it, but I'd guess you need a sport gauge cluster and possibly a sport transmission ECU along with the parts you've listed to do a proper base-to-sport auto conversion. And those things aren't cheap.

That said, oem fogs are plug and play...

Further, the paddle shifters are the least of my concern. It doesn't magically make the car any faster or more enjoyable... I've driven this type of setup before. More interested in the cruise control and the Escutcheon to run the jdm console. At the very least, the sport escutcheon should be an easy swap.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:46 PM
That being said the OEM fogs are meant to be a bolt in and run conversion. But they don't work the way they do in the Sport, there isn't a stalk switch, and you don't get the icon on the dash. I'm also not sure if they will self cancel when you activate the high beams like they do on the Sport either. I'm not so sure about the CC. If your dealer offered it at purchase that means that Honda has a plug and run upgrade already available. As for the tranny, buy the paddles and see what happens, at worst you are out sixty some odd bucks. At bet you get the manual shift function for cheap!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Cruise Control shouldn't be a problem to install, but you could probably save alot of time and hassle by going with an aftermarket system that will work for sure. Most aftermarket CC systems can be bought and installed for under $200 and only takes a mechanic a couple hours to complete.
I'm thinking No on the paddleshifters. Even if the computers are the same you'll need more than just the actual paddles that go in the sterring column for them to work. I'm no expert on paddleshifters, but from what I've seen of them it's not something that'll be a simple "hook up two paddles and go" job.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
i work in parts at a honda dealer, IT WON'T WORK! NONE OF IT, your best bet is to spend that money on a for sale sign, and get a sport next time

Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
I don't agree that it won't work, but I think the price tag would end up around 10 grand. Good luck with that... I'd put the aftermarket cruise control in (since the sport switches probably won't work without a sport ecu), get some lip kits and rims and call it a day.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:06 AM
i love college
i dont see why they wont work! lol

Old 05-06-2009, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
wtf is stalk???

Old 05-06-2009, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
wtf is stalk???
you know like "I am going to stalk that beotch and do things to myself"

Old 05-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
i work in parts at a honda dealer, IT WON'T WORK! NONE OF IT, your best bet is to spend that money on a for sale sign, and get a sport next time
And I am into my car for under 8k bucks..... curious what you payed for your sport? Buying from the dealer, yes I would have bought a sport, but I had an opportunity to get a very low miles, very minimal work needed car

350 miles on the odometer

edit:
and you know it won't work because you have tried it?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Lol if you're gonna do a conversion, do a JDM conversion

Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
Lol if you're gonna do a conversion, do a JDM conversion
really, all I wanted was cruise control and possibly using the shifter cover off the sport model to allow me to use a JDM console. Not really a conversion

Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Zivman
And I am into my car for under 8k bucks..... curious what you payed for your sport? Buying from the dealer, yes I would have bought a sport, but I had an opportunity to get a very low miles, very minimal work needed car

350 miles on the odometer

edit:
and you know it won't work because you have tried it?
WELL LET ME START off by saying that it all becomes a giant ROLLING BALL OF PARTS , and doesn't include labor so let me show you why this wont work
you'll need
r paddle -------------------78560-sln-a81za-------- 51.05
l paddle -------------------78565-sln-a81za--------- 51.05
cruise sw ------------------36770-sln-a01 -----------72.45
cable reel sub wire --------77901-sln-a10 -----------20.53
cable reel ------------------77900-sln-a11---------- 193.60
instrument harness -------32117-sln-a30 -----------770.05
meter (guage cluster)---- 78120-sln-a21 -----------463.65

this is to just have the paddle shifters and appropriate hire harnesses to controle them, then you'd need the ecu that has the capibilities for you to control the shifters
ecu -----------------------37820-rme a71 -----------498.67

the cluster is because you changed the dash harness because you changed the cable reel... and so on and so on.

after all that i hope the other wire harhesses plug into the stuff you changed out, hey more power to you if you want to figure this out, and cut corners to make it work, but then it is JUST TIME AND MONEY

I agree do a JDM conversion and embrace the base you have - i have a sport but i love alot of the stuff that the base has (the ft bumper w/o fogs, the rear bumper w/o holes drilled for the rear lip) but i do love my cruise, keyless, extra speakers, and wattage of the radio, i love my paddles - mostly for downshifting ----> I JUST LOVE MY FIT!!!

Last edited by vtecfit1; 05-06-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know if you can really just swap in a "shift cover" that has a different amount of travel and a different number of positions. I once owned a base AT Fit and hated that I couldn't get the jdm console for it, now I have a sport AT (base was totaled) and I have decided the aftermarket arm rest from zeta is plenty good enough for me. 250 bucks versus 50 just isn't worth it for me.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
wtf is stalk???
I ROFL at that shizzle right there. You know, the turn signal stalk, thusly a switch located on said stalk would be called a stalk switch. Or if you are from the hood "My Honda Fit is mostly stalk, except for the floor mats...." To the OP, I hope you are able to accomplish your goal, however you go about it. One thing has become abundantly clear though, Hondas are more complex than Toyotas

Old 05-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
WELL LET ME START off by saying that it all becomes a giant ROLLING BALL OF PARTS , and doesn't include labor so let me show you why this wont work
you'll need
r paddle -------------------78560-sln-a81za-------- 51.05
l paddle -------------------78565-sln-a81za--------- 51.05
cruise sw ------------------36770-sln-a01 -----------72.45
cable reel sub wire --------77901-sln-a10 -----------20.53
cable reel ------------------77900-sln-a11---------- 193.60
instrument harness -------32117-sln-a30 -----------770.05
meter (guage cluster)---- 78120-sln-a21 -----------463.65

this is to just have the paddle shifters and appropriate hire harnesses to controle them, then you'd need the ecu that has the capibilities for you to control the shifters
ecu -----------------------37820-rme a71 -----------498.67

the cluster is because you changed the dash harness because you changed the cable reel... and so on and so on.

after all that i hope the other wire harhesses plug into the stuff you changed out, hey more power to you if you want to figure this out, and cut corners to make it work, but then it is JUST TIME AND MONEY

I agree do a JDM conversion and embrace the base you have - i have a sport but i love alot of the stuff that the base has (the ft bumper w/o fogs, the rear bumper w/o holes drilled for the rear lip) but i do love my cruise, keyless, extra speakers, and wattage of the radio, i love my paddles - mostly for downshifting ----> I JUST LOVE MY FIT!!!
I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE PADDLE SHIFTERS>>>

I do care about cruise control.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
Well i'm not tryin to start a fight i'm just sayin that it's alot harder than it seems, i have people call me atleast once a day that want just one option off the next higher model than they bought, and nowadays honda is so specific to each model that you can't do that anymore - sorry
but if you want cruise try a search cause ther are several people that have AM cruise and it's a slick install and doesn't require a bunch of wire harnesses that honda would require

Quick Reply: can it be done - base to sport conversion