1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

what is A Rocker Arm Actuator Control Circuit High on my obd?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 PM
what is A Rocker Arm Actuator Control Circuit High on my obd?

hi, i hope someone can help me about this error coming up on my obd scan. my obd is showing p2649 which "a rocker arm actuator control circuit high." i'm just wondering is if somebody having this problem too?

Old 04-29-2009, 11:03 PM
your Vtec is broken, your car operates on 3 valves per cylinder outside of Vtec, when it enters Vtec it basically actuates the rocker arm to run the 4th valve

Old 04-29-2009, 11:10 PM
my dealer told me it will cost me 93 bucks. i don't have much cash on me on the moment but is this a real concern? i drive my car mainly on the city. this is my first time owning a honda. and i don't really know much about vtec.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:49 PM
by the way, i'm the second owner to this car. when i changed its oil i found out that the oil is thick. not maintained well. and what do you mean the vtec is broken does it requires cleaning? or the ecu needs resetting?

Old 04-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Darkstars
your Vtec is broken, your car operates on 3 valves per cylinder outside of Vtec, when it enters Vtec it basically actuates the rocker arm to run the 4th valve
I thought this was pretty clear....

The rocker actuator is what turns the 4th valve on and off (Vtec IS the 4th valve). If rocker arm actuator is not working that 4th valve is not working..... thus no Vtec.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:59 PM
thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
It should be drivable, but I'd go light on the accelerator pedal and keep the revs below 2500~3000.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by JCLW
It should be drivable, but I'd go light on the accelerator pedal and keep the revs below 2500~3000.
mine wont let go rev above 3000 anyways, there seems to be a limiter on my car. i went to the dealer about this but i dont have a warranty anymore coz it was write off car. do you know what kind of part needs replacements? it a vtec solenoid or something else?

Old 05-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Fitamusprime
mine wont let go rev above 3000 anyways, there seems to be a limiter on my car. i went to the dealer about this but i dont have a warranty anymore coz it was write off car. do you know what kind of part needs replacements? it a vtec solenoid or something else?
Whoa boy this story gets better with every post! Get to the pawn shop and come up with the dough to get it fixed man, driving it around with the VTEC crippled is begging for trouble. And if the thing won't rev beyond 3K it may already be in "limp-home" mode. I hope you got a good deal on the car because you bought some one elses trouble for sure. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:48 PM
i bought this car, knowing the risk involve. i bought it because mileage was low it's in 32,000km and its only $6000 canadian dollars. the motor runs great but the only problem when i scanned with OBD II i have an error code P2649. i went to honda dealer and scanned the same thing. too bad no more warranty for it. I could of let the dealer fix it but it will cost me more. I'm looking around shop where to get this problem fix. As far i know it could be just a vtec solenoid. it was frontal accident and it could be wiring is pinched. i'll keep you updated in upcoming weeks.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
It could very well be your VTEC solenoid...

Originally Posted by Fitamusprime
i bought this car, knowing the risk involve. i bought it because mileage was low it's in 32,000km and its only $6000 canadian dollars. the motor runs great but the only problem when i scanned with OBD II i have an error code P2649. i went to honda dealer and scanned the same thing. too bad no more warranty for it. I could of let the dealer fix it but it will cost me more. I'm looking around shop where to get this problem fix. As far i know it could be just a vtec solenoid. it was frontal accident and it could be wiring is pinched. i'll keep you updated in upcoming weeks.
Hey Fitamusprime,
You may be experiencing the same problem that I had. I had the same annoying/dangerous symptoms. Although the VTEC solenoid is expensive, it is very easy to replace. I just recently did the replacement a couple of days ago. It is nice to drive a "safe" car again. Check out this thread, this may help you in one way or another:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/tell...huts-down.html
Good luck,
-macbuddy-
PS-here is another thread describing a similar problem:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...re-switch.html

Old 05-02-2009, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by macbuddy
Hey Fitamusprime,
You may be experiencing the same problem that I had. I had the same annoying/dangerous symptoms. Although the VTEC solenoid is expensive, it is very easy to replace. I just recently did the replacement a couple of days ago. It is nice to drive a "safe" car again. Check out this thread, this may help you in one way or another:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/tell...huts-down.html
Good luck,
-macbuddy-
PS-here is another thread describing a similar problem:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...re-switch.html
its similar, but also could a problem with the ecu my "check engine light" is not even on. so i think it could be just a wiring. is 93 dollars for the vtec solenoid only at the dealer.