1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Question about S-mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Question about S-mode

Today I was driving and came to a complete stop at a red light. I decided to put it in S-mode from D-mode and accelerated away from the light. I noticed that when I let off the gas at about 3000 rpm it automatically upshifted. Is this normal? I thought S-mode did not do any automatic upshifts. I have an '08 Fit S.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
I dunno about the 3000 rpm shift, but I could've sworn that S mode automatically shifts at redline up to 3rd gear...

Old 04-05-2009, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
it shifts a bit before, depending on your throttle position.

and it automatically shifts unless you shift manually first

Old 04-05-2009, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
why didn't you just get a manual transmission? those don't shift till you want it to.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Contrabida Face
why didn't you just get a manual transmission? those don't shift till you want it to.
LOL that's what my S2000 is for

Old 04-05-2009, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
In S mode the car runs at higher RPMs. But will still shift on it's own.

To make it shift when you say you must put it in S mode and either up-shift or down-shift then you have complete control.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
In S mode the Fit will upshift just like in D mode except the shift points are higher. It isn't critical if you lift or not, only the throttle position and the speed that you are traveling at will change the RPMs it shifts at.

Something you may notice is that at around 1/4 throttle the Fit will shift at in the neighborhood of 3k-3.5k RPMs for 1st and 2nd gear; it may shift into the next gear if you lift off the throttle. But in 3rd gear, the Fit will not shift up till around 5k-6K RPMs or at around 75-80 MPH; no matter if you lift or not.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IcebergS2000
Today I was driving and came to a complete stop at a red light. I decided to put it in S-mode from D-mode and accelerated away from the light. I noticed that when I let off the gas at about 3000 rpm it automatically upshifted. Is this normal? I thought S-mode did not do any automatic upshifts. I have an '08 Fit S.
Pretty simple. S-mode is almost the same as D-mode UNLESS you activate the paddle shifters. The car will not upshift by itself when you use the paddles (and the gear number appears in the left pod). There are times when the car might go from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd even with paddles activated, but I'm not too sure why or when it does that.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koi
There are times when the car might go from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd even with paddles activated, but I'm not too sure why or when it does that.
That happens when you pull the upshift paddle. It'll go into 2nd from a dead stop if you pull it while starting off and it will shift into 3rd if your over 6 MPH when/if you started from 2nd gear.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
I wonder if auto shift can be turned off in sport mode. I'd like to be able to throw it in to 5th sooner and not wait for it to hit certain RPM. If it wasn't for my wife... I would've bought MT. It's more fuel efficient and more performance if wanted.

Last edited by jimmyparky; 06-05-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yeh, within the first 3min of driving my GE in paddle mode, i was bored of it. car runs best in D mode.

now you know why my other 3 cars are MT's. lol

Old 06-05-2009, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member

No its in drive. And the bad thing about S is it doesn't upshift at redline which it should do. Drive a Nissan Sentra SER to see how it really should do down or up.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koi
Pretty simple. S-mode is almost the same as D-mode UNLESS you activate the paddle shifters. The car will not upshift by itself when you use the paddles (and the gear number appears in the left pod). There are times when the car might go from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd even with paddles activated, but I'm not too sure why or when it does that.

S activates the paddles. If you don't use them in a few seconds shifts back to D figuring you didn't mean to select S.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:13 PM
when your at a complete stop and u switch to s mode u need to hit the down paddle so the car reads m1. if u dont see that then until u hit the paddle it will shift like its in d mode. i never have problems with either and it doesnt auto shift for me in s mode at all. another interesting fact that while driving u can switch to s mode to drive mode anytime. i do it a lot on the freeway when i want to pass someone a lot faster. I am definnitley happy with the automatic.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
In S mode (without using paddles), the transmissoin act normally in gears 1-3. It will not however upshift from 3 to 4 until close to redline (approx 80MPH). I do alot of city driving in S mode (without paddles). One you have used a paddle it becomes a "semi manual" transmission.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:38 AM
so wat is the main difference or usage between 'D with 7 Speed Mode' button pressed, 'D with 7 Speed Mode pressed & use paddles', 'S with 7 Speed Mode' button pressed & 'S with 7 Speed Mode pressed & used paddles'

Old 06-10-2009, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mugen boi
so wat is the main difference or usage between 'D with 7 Speed Mode' button pressed, 'D with 7 Speed Mode pressed & use paddles', 'S with 7 Speed Mode' button pressed & 'S with 7 Speed Mode pressed & used paddles'

Not having a 7 speed CVT can't say for sure but my Nissan SER with 6 speed CVT shifts with paddles when I blip the paddle, up or down. Nicely it shifts up automatically when reaching red line and downshifts automatically when I get to about 1500 rpm, the variance depending on how much engine effort is being used.
For serious driving its nice to have the auto upshifts and then I only have to be concerned with downshifts WHEN I want them. Neat.
Its the only thing I wish my Fit had instead of the US 5 speed auto with low high third. If I could substitute the 7 speed CVT it would be done immediately.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:29 AM
coz mine is a JDM Fit which come with 7 Speed CVT so i juz hope to get more info

Old 06-11-2009, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mugen boi
coz mine is a JDM Fit which come with 7 Speed CVT so i juz hope to get more info
I've driven one the JDM fit with 7 speed CVT. D with paddle will not hold the gear (alas shift when you rev up to ~3000 rpm), while S with paddle will keep the gear until you shift or hit red line.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by thedjo
I've driven one the JDM fit with 7 speed CVT. D with paddle will not hold the gear (alas shift when you rev up to ~3000 rpm), while S with paddle will keep the gear until you shift or hit red line.
hmm...if i didn't see wrongly...D with Paddle also allow me to hit the red line till i shift or the ecu shift itself...will try again to be double sure

Quick Reply: Question about S-mode