1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

my car dies when its cold??!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:07 AM
my car dies when its cold??!!

does anybody else has this issue of mine? ok here's my dilemma. in the morning when i start my car and the cool temp is on, i try driving it in a short distance without warming it up, some how when i stop my car start bugging down then dies. is that normal or there is something wrong with my car? however when the car is all warmed out and the cool temp is off then it works fine. so besically everytime i start my car i have to wait tell the cool temp disappear then drive. im thinking i have bad starter??!! but im not sure. anewize any helpful advise or comments would be great! thanks

Old 03-26-2009, 12:50 AM
check your oil and what kind of oil are you using, when you drive your car without warming it up do you drive normally or do you let the car cruise, because not letting the oil get to the right temp it doesnt have the viscosity it should have when its warm, know what i mean?

Old 03-26-2009, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
if your car starts, it isnt the starter.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:55 AM
it's deff not the starter. and basically u shouldn't drive the car when the cold temp is on. u should always give a few minutes before going anywhere. have you done any mods to ur fit?

Old 03-26-2009, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit1st
does anybody else has this issue of mine? ok here's my dilemma. in the morning when i start my car and the cool temp is on, i try driving it in a short distance without warming it up, some how when i stop my car start bugging down then dies. is that normal or there is something wrong with my car? however when the car is all warmed out and the cool temp is off then it works fine. so besically everytime i start my car i have to wait tell the cool temp disappear then drive. im thinking i have bad starter??!! but im not sure. anewize any helpful advise or comments would be great! thanks

Sounds like the fast idle program is not working. When you start the Fit the first time does it idle about 1500 rpm or higher. If it isn't the engine will die simply because it isn't getting enough gas.
If you use the throttle to keep engine speed up does it die then?
your dealer needs to check the initial start program and temp sensor too.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Sounds like the fast idle program is not working. When you start the Fit the first time does it idle about 1500 rpm or higher. If it isn't the engine will die simply because it isn't getting enough gas.
If you use the throttle to keep engine speed up does it die then?
your dealer needs to check the initial start program and temp sensor too.
it does starts at around 1500rpm. and no it doesnt die when i use the throttle when i speed up. yeah i might have to take it to the dealer so they can check on it. and by the way what is a fast idle program?

Originally Posted by stockfitgd3
check your oil and what kind of oil are you using, when you drive your car without warming it up do you drive normally or do you let the car cruise, because not letting the oil get to the right temp it doesnt have the viscosity it should have when its warm, know what i mean?
you might be right on that but does it matter what oil do i use? i use 10w30. and no mods on the motor. its bone stock....

can you guys try running your car while the cool temp is on and if your car does the same thing pls. thanks

Last edited by Fit1st; 03-26-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
The fast idle program is something that will keep the engine running at a fast idle while it's cold. When you have a cold engine, the fuel doesn't vaporize as well in the intake manifold if you're at normal idle, but with the faster idle the air movement will aid in fuel vaporization. Similar in function to the choke on a carbureted vehicle.

I can drive off just fine on a 0F morning, no idle problems. You are using a thicker oil than the Honda spec, so that MIGHT have something to do with it, but I don't think it would cause a stalling.

Also, manual or automatic? If an auto, will it stall in neutral, or just drive?

Old 03-27-2009, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by JJorda
The fast idle program is something that will keep the engine running at a fast idle while it's cold. When you have a cold engine, the fuel doesn't vaporize as well in the intake manifold if you're at normal idle, but with the faster idle the air movement will aid in fuel vaporization. Similar in function to the choke on a carbureted vehicle.

I can drive off just fine on a 0F morning, no idle problems. You are using a thicker oil than the Honda spec, so that MIGHT have something to do with it, but I don't think it would cause a stalling.

Also, manual or automatic? If an auto, will it stall in neutral, or just drive?
my car is an auto and it doesnt die if its on neutral, just on drive. so what should i use for an oil then? 5w30?

Old 03-27-2009, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stockfitgd3
it's deff not the starter. and basically u shouldn't drive the car when the cold temp is on. u should always give a few minutes before going anywhere. have you done any mods to ur fit?
this post couldnt be further from the truth. modenr cars do NOT need to be warmed up before being driven

Old 03-27-2009, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
you might be right on that but does it matter what oil do i use? i use 10w30. and no mods on the motor. its bone stock....

can you guys try running your car while the cool temp is on and if your car does the same thing pls. thanks[/quote]

i live in so cal too run my car cold every so often but u are using the wrong oil im not sure how it will impact your car. But honda recomends 5w-20 which i belive still has to be synthetic blend if not synthetic but what do i know for sure? I have never used oil that wasnt recommend by owners manual

Old 03-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
'cold' in socal? hahahaha!!!

i would check the MAF and intake connections, filter, etc. it sounds like something to do with the intake. maybe even the 02 sensor...but it sounds like you dont get a DTC.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marz
i live in so cal too run my car cold every so often but u are using the wrong oil im not sure how it will impact your car. But honda recomends 5w-20 which i belive still has to be synthetic blend if not synthetic but what do i know for sure? I have never used oil that wasnt recommend by owners manual
i've run both 5w-30 and 5w-20 conventional oil on my Fit for the first two years of ownership and didn't have this problem. i really doubt the stalling is coming from his oil grade.

i agree with JJorda, i'd have the stealership check your cold start / fast idle.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Well, if it doesn't die in neutral, I'd say it sounds like your torque converter clutch not unlocking when cold. If it was engine related, I would think it would stall while in neutral as well.

Either way, you should head to the dealership if you're still under warranty.

Oil as recommended by Honda is 5W-20 as noted by others. I don't think 5 or 10W-30 would cause much of a problem, but with the tighter bearing clearances in the newer engines, the thinner oils will get in there a bit better than the thicker ones.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
i know cold in so cal when does that ever happen?

Old 03-27-2009, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marz
i know cold in so cal when does that ever happen?
NEEEEVVVVAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!! i bitch and complain when it's below 60 degrees LoL

Old 03-27-2009, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit1st
it does starts at around 1500rpm. and no it doesnt die when i use the throttle when i speed up. yeah i might have to take it to the dealer so they can check on it. and by the way what is a fast idle program?

can you guys try running your car while the cool temp is on and if your car does the same thing pls. thanks
i live in so cal too run my car cold every so often and never have any problem. but u are using the wrong oil im not sure how it will impact your car. But honda recomends 5w-20 which i belive still has to be synthetic blend if not synthetic but what do i know for sure? I have never used oil that wasnt recommend by owners manual.Again what do i know nothing so dealership would be the best bet

Old 03-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys for the info. i will definately go to the dealership and get it check at. ill keep you guys updated.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
Mine started dying when cold at about 40-45k miles. OP, is your idle pretty lumpy for the first 5 minutes in the morning? Lately I've been running it a little harder in the morning to heat up faster which 'solves' my stalling problem when coming to a stop.

I have a new set of plugs on order since I'm about to break 60k.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Hey I read your post and I'm having the exact same problem. What was the solution, I'm sure you have fixed it since then. I would really appreciate the help since my car is out of warranty.

Thanks Matt

Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by matt88
Hey I read your post and I'm having the exact same problem. What was the solution, I'm sure you have fixed it since then. I would really appreciate the help since my car is out of warranty.

Thanks Matt
matt i still have the same issue however i just replaced my spark plug and it helps a little. i took it to the dealership and ask what seems to be the issue but they were charging me $100 just to check it so i didnt do it. i will be taking it to another dealership soon and i will keep u updated.

also if anybody here can help that would be awesome!! thanks

Quick Reply: my car dies when its cold??!!