1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

By modifying your car do you have problems with the law

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Question By modifying your car do you have problems with the law

I fit freaks i´m from Portugal near lisbon i have a 2005 jazz, the one restiled.
I have to many ideas for my car but here in Portugal we can´t do any manufacturer changes or we have cops on our tail.

fitfreak rules

Old 03-21-2009, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
gotta pay to play. i just got a window tint ticket, but other than that, i dont have any issues with cops. i dont race around or have a loud exhaust, so there isnt much reason to pull me over

Old 03-21-2009, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
i used to get harrassed kinda like they would tail me and shit.

i was always paranoid.

i got a fix it ticket for my tint, and loud exhaust(super drager? thats stupid quiet) and um........yeah thats about it.

now that im stock, im not worried anymore.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
highfive for not being paranoid anymore

Old 03-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you! LOL You can have law problems in a bone stock car the same as a heavily modified one. It takes a certain kind of police officer to harass someone based on what they are driving. And no one is safe from that kind of person. To be certain, if you are driving a Miss Piggy pink Fit, with an exhaust that can be heard from space, have your windows tinted to 3% and have more neon under your car than Times Square at New Years then , yes, you will draw attention to yourself. Just hope it is from the cops, before the other people whose attention you have drawn can steal all your stuff!

Old 03-21-2009, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
I´m planing to tint my car. But for having no problem here we must do an ispection that cost 100 € (135$) plus tint 120€ (160$) sucks

Old 03-21-2009, 09:46 PM
What we have here in the US is a silly system where the shop that tints your car breaks the law with your permission provided you sign a waiver of liabilty. That way they can screw you twice! Once when they charge you 220 bux to tint the car, and again when they charge you 60-120 bucks to peel it back out again when you get a fix-it ticket. And of course, every state has a different statute on tint percentage so you can never be sure you are NOT breaking the law. This is why roads here in the US are sooooo smooth. Not bitter, not at all.

Last edited by grtpumpkin; 03-21-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling owns me
Old 03-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! That is bad that you can't do anything to your car or you get harassed. I have VTEC
stickers on my side skirts, a Mugen hatch garnish, Japanese stickers and symbols,Domo Kun hanging from my rearview mirror and a Japanese cat hanging from my tow bar and I have seen them turn around and follow me. Once they realize I am doing the speed limit they turn off. Or maybe they realize that this 50 year old lady is driving the car! LOL!

Cat :x

Old 03-21-2009, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
What we have here in the US is a silly system where the shop that tints your car breaks the law with your permission provided you sign a waiver of liabilty. That way they can screw you twice! Once when they charge you 220 bux to tint the car, and again when they charge you 60-120 bucks to peel it back out again when you get a fix-it ticket. And of course, every state has a different statute on tint percentage so you can never be sure you are NOT breaking the law. This is why roads here in the US are sooooo smooth. Not bitter, not at all.
Wow. Does that waiver system for the tint apply only to WV or to all the states? Just curious.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Even in some of the most super-strict places, there are lots of things you can do to modify/improve your car that won't draw any attention (warranted or unwarranted). Interior upgrades like upgraded carpet & sound deadening . . . or "input" modifications like a short shifters & heavier shift knob make a big difference. And audio can be improved a dozen different ways before it gets to the point where you become a target. In my experience, a simple head-unit replacement in the Fit improves sound quality 10-fold.

A set of 16" HFP wheels not only look great, but come straight from Honda so cops are gonna have a hard time pushing you around on them. Same goes with HFP mufflers, etc. For suspension, a good coilover setup @ a 1-1.5" drop isn't going to attract much attention . . . but will make all the world difference in handling & driving enjoyment. Along the same lines, good performance tires & some more aggressive brake pads are all you need to take the handling & braking limits completely beyond what's needed on the street.

If you want tint - a super light tint like 70-80% won't attract attention from ANYBODY . . . but will still grant you all the UV protection & cooling advantages that are the reason tint is so nice.

When it comes to engine performance & even simple bolt-on breather modifications, that's where you need to take a long look at your local laws & inspection station requirements . . . see what those extra few hp is really worth to you.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
not so long ago, wasn't there a bust for all modded cars that were hanging out at some lot in CA? cops just ticketed everyone for fix-it tickets of some kind.

i'd keep the 'mods' or 'decorations' to a minimum.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Type 100, every tint shop I have ever been into had the same policy. In three different states and the District of Columbia they basically have a little chart on the wall with all the available tint percentages on it. One of the percentages has a little notation next to saying something to the effect of "this is legal" and the rest.... If you ask them to put in anything over the legal percentage they say something to the effect of "We can do it but....You have to sign this waiver and you realize that you can be pulled over and get a removal citation. And we will remove the tint but it costs X.XXX dollars" I didn't mean to imply that people were being lied to and weren't aware that they were breaking the law. However: I have never, EVER, been to a shop that wouldn't put in an illegal tint. And to answer your question, WV doesn't give a damn what tint you have, more than half the cars on the road up here have ten other things wrong with them that distracts the cops from the tint. LOL

Last edited by grtpumpkin; 03-23-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:05 PM
maybe instead of paying to have the tint taken off, do the smart thing and buy a $20 roll of tint from wal-mart to take in to the judge? I never understood why people pay to have it taken off when its much easier to buy a roll, crinkle it up, and show it to the judge. Fee's get waived, and you still have your tint, but less $40 bucks.

hsugh.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Whitehybrid
maybe instead of paying to have the tint taken off, do the smart thing and buy a $20 roll of tint from wal-mart to take in to the judge? I never understood why people pay to have it taken off when its much easier to buy a roll, crinkle it up, and show it to the judge. Fee's get waived, and you still have your tint, but less $40 bucks.

hsugh.
they aren't going to check your car?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
i have not had any problems for driving my modded Fit. Im running No front plate (illegal in MN) 35% tint (50% is legal) and a exhaust that can be kind of loud. For the most part I try to keep a low profile. keeping the RPMs low in the city, not weaving threw traffic and for the most part driving the speed limit. I pass police all the time and have never had any problems. I think it all comes down to where you live, you can always look up your local laws and see what you can and cant do to your car. If you mod the car with in the Law the police cant do any thing, though they might still try and harass you.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
My car is going to make 4 years and he is going to is first periodic inspection. And beyond it goes of two in two years. How does it work in the states? What do you guys do when you have oversized wheels, lower suspension, tint...........etc.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AMMF
My car is going to make 4 years and he is going to is first periodic inspection. And beyond it goes of two in two years. How does it work in the states? What do you guys do when you have oversized wheels, lower suspension, tint...........etc.
I've never heard of a wheel or dropped suspension citation (although I suppose it could happen if these were super radical)
On tinted cars I just roll the front windows down the 2 times ive been pulled over.

Tickets here would be loud exhausts, too much blue tint on front lights etc
Plus you could get emissions failure if you pulled your cat.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
they aren't going to check your car?
yeah you'd be playing a big risk trying to lie to them and hoping that they don't check your car.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
yeah you'd be playing a big risk trying to lie to them and hoping that they don't check your car.
i mean yeah i can see how that would work. i've gone to traffic court to fight a ticket and had the cop not show up (therefore i got out of the ticket) but what if they required you to show up there with the car?

Old 03-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Tork
I've never heard of a wheel or dropped suspension citation (although I suppose it could happen if these were super radical)
On tinted cars I just roll the front windows down the 2 times ive been pulled over.

Tickets here would be loud exhausts, too much blue tint on front lights etc
Plus you could get emissions failure if you pulled your cat.
I think in some states the headlights have to so high off the ground and cant be higher or lower.

Quick Reply: By modifying your car do you have problems with the law