1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

By modifying your car do you have problems with the law

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
Hehe. Yeah. Last time, I downshifted while slowing down for this turn. My engine was in VERY high RPM. A cop was right at the corner, pulling someone else over. I was scared that he would chase me down. And another time, this CHP on the freeway was tailing me.

But, other than that, I haven't been pulled over yet and I never want to be pulled over. I'm planning on putting a carbon fiber front lip to an SSM Fit Sport. I hope cops don't pay attention too much.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Depends on what kinda cops are in the area. Usually if they have nothing to do, then they'll start looking at you to try to find a reason to pull you over.

Busy cops tend to not bother because they have other things to do.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Ever since I got a fit the cops haven't really messed with me. Back when I had the prelude I got pulled over a few times, one time for suspected drug carrying (had a huge Wutang sticker that took up alot of the back window lol) The cop just searched the car and was like oh.. theres nothing here and left me alone.

If I got a ticket for a loud exhaust I'd make them test it (I believe there is a decibel limit in Louisiana) cause my HKS exhaust is way quieter than any other tuner I drive by.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Damn, you guys should come to CT. I've only been pulled over once, for speeding. Currently I'm running 20% tint all around for the past 3 years and no muffler, just the resonator hooked up to weapon*r street headers. It's not much louder than when I had my Megan Racing axleback, but definitely more noticeable. The only thing the cop said when I got pulled over for speeding a few months ago was that my license plate cover was illegal and my yellow fog lights (I've already got cop friends who've written a letter for me that says there's not reason why my fogs are illegal).

CT is surprisingly lax compared to many other states from what I've seen here.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:27 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
The fit is what I'm least worried about cops in, but they still want to pull you over for anything. The state and federal budgets are way outta whack, and ticketing people is an easy way to get revenue.

Cali is about the most strict. The tint max you can have is 5% rear, 70% front, which is almost nothing. The modified exhaust ticket is the easiest way to pull someone over, and then use it as a reason to search under the hood for more illegal mods. The San Diego and LA police forces are specifically trained in how to use one mod(exhaust) to gain "reasonable suspicion of street racing" and there isn't ONE C.A.R.B. legal intake even for the fit.

So basically, CALI used to be car modding mecca, and there probably still is more modded cars here than anywhere, but the cops have all the power to mess with you for any lil thing. So I leave my muffler as boring as possible, on my other vehicles I have painted the exhaust cans flat black to not draw attention, and it has kept me out of trouble since. The last string of tickets I got was 6 fix-its in 6 days on my accord, and the crappy thing only one was actually illegal(no front plate) and the rest were impossible to get signed off. I went to 4 different places where I was told I could get the tickets signed off, and almost got in a fight with a cop at the 4th place for sending me back to the 1st place.

My solution was, ask my dad to drive the car in and get it signed off. The very first cop signed everything off exactly as the car was(other than front plate was added) when I got ticketed. The police are being encouraged to write up as much as possible right now due to the economy. The more tickets they write, the less likely their budgets will be hit.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
^Right you are. Cali has a big budget problem right now. It's unbelievable what kinds of programs and jobs they're cutting just to "save money."

I am using a Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust and haven't been pulled over yet. I think it's quiet enough and it looks sort of like a factory upgraded muffler. But, if a cop ever pulls me over and tells me to pop my hood, I'm screwed.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trant
^Right you are. Cali has a big budget problem right now. It's unbelievable what kinds of programs and jobs they're cutting just to "save money."

I am using a Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust and haven't been pulled over yet. I think it's quiet enough and it looks sort of like a factory upgraded muffler. But, if a cop ever pulls me over and tells me to pop my hood, I'm screwed.
HOW screwed you are. Arrested car? or remove all illegal mods
Back to stock!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, I was just saying IF I ever get pulled over. I haven't been pulled over yet. It was a hypothetical statement.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trant
Oh, I was just saying IF I ever get pulled over. I haven't been pulled over yet. It was a hypothetical statement.
Sorry about my french. I mean IF you ever get pulled over,what will happen? Hypothetically

Old 06-01-2009, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
I am not sure what will happen exactly. When cops pull you over, they can pretty much do anything from searching the interior of the car, to telling you to pop the hood, giving citations, or even arresting you.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
They can impound the car for illegal modifications, but usually they just give you a ticket, and make it a pain in the ass to get it signed off, and you have to pay a fine, and put it back to stock. If they deem that they are RACING modifications they can impound it on suspician of street racing if they are having a really crappy day. Cali Cars need to be sleepers to attract the least attention.

I even had a ticket dismissed because the cop said he saw a Fast Looking car with Black Racing rims, which meant I was a street racer. They did a whole DUI stop, gave me a phony speeding ticket saying it took 7 miles to catch up to me. They profiled me, made up that I was speeding, they said it was on radar, and I had my cruise set and radar on. Too many inconsistencies.

It's insane how much more I pay attention to speed limits and posted stuff now. Cut down my speeding and try to make my cars blend into traffic and not stand out too far. I even put stock wheels back on the accord

And locally they have been busting Sportbikes for mods. it's really ridiculous.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:01 PM
ya i sust got a reff. ticket yesterday for my HKS exhaust. that shits such a burn

Old 06-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Having to go to the ref is a bitch. Just throw on your OEM exhaust, get it signed off as a fix it, and slap it back on. On my accord I painted the exhaust black to hide it better from cop attention. I'm thinkin vibrant exhaust for the fit.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not completely sure about the rear windows' tint, but do remember loopholes which allowed very odd and very high tints.

However, I've noticed some places mention CA is 70% max tint for front side windows. That is incorrect on two issues: what the 70% is, and what cars / tints it applies to.

If one looks into VC 26708(d)(1) and (d)(2), the [problem 1] 70% is for min visible light transmitted not tint and [problem 2] per for 49 C.F.R. § 571.205(a) only applies for:
"Glazing equipment manufactured before September 1, 2006 and glazing materials used in vehicles manufactured before November 1, 2006"
So for "newer" owners, the min visible light transmitted is huge 88%.

Then again the CA Highway Patrol can ticket a driver for any perceived infraction regardless of whether the Vehicle Code considers it illegal, e.g. getting ticketed for 88% VLT or more...which leaves it up to the owner to fight the ticket.

Last edited by mkchiu; 08-05-2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: paragraph breaks not showing
Old 08-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Just out of curiosity what would happen if I drove my car from MN down to Cali to visit relatives? I think by CA standards I have illegal parts on my car, would they be able to pull me over and ticket me or even worst tow my car even though i live in MN and am not a resident of CA

Old 08-05-2009, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
IANAL

CA VC 26708 starts: A person shall not drive any motor vehicle...
CA Codes (veh:26700-26712)

Under normal economic conditions, if you are nice to them, roll-down all your windows when pulled over, and lucky, you may only be given a warning...

CA is poor. I wouldn't expect any state to make exceptions for other states for this. That is, thank you for paying your CA tint tax, enjoy your visit, remember to pay on the way out...to the family restaurant.

Last edited by mkchiu; 08-05-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: paragraph breaks
Old 08-05-2009, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
Just out of curiosity what would happen if I drove my car from MN down to Cali to visit relatives? I think by CA standards I have illegal parts on my car, would they be able to pull me over and ticket me or even worst tow my car even though i live in MN and am not a resident of CA
can't do anything being you aren't registered there. That's what me n a couple friends were going to do when we'd planned on moving to AZ for school. Just keep our vehicles registered in ND so we didn't have to deal with all that ish.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Here in Mauritius u can mod it the way u want, except for the tint issue that i posted somewhere.
BUT!!
Our streets are so crappppyyyyy that u could lose ure kits along the way...

Old 02-20-2010, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bk1089
Here in Mauritius u can mod it the way u want, except for the tint issue that i posted somewhere.
BUT!!
Our streets are so crappppyyyyy that u could lose ure kits along the way...
I´m going to live to mauritius.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
I had 5% on my integra back in the day, shittiest fart cannon ever and the bassiest woofas in all the land.. And I've never had problems. Key west is pretty awesome.. To this day I still hate that exhaust lol, greddy evo2 and all the baffles or whatever they were were gone....

Quick Reply: By modifying your car do you have problems with the law