1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

By modifying your car do you have problems with the law

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
i mean yeah i can see how that would work. i've gone to traffic court to fight a ticket and had the cop not show up (therefore i got out of the ticket) but what if they required you to show up there with the car?
i've never had them bother to check anything.

Same with bulbs. Never had a judge/officer come out for that. Usually the only thing they come check your car for is expired tags. If you are that worried about them checking your car, DON'T DRIVE IT THERE. Lol, they can't tell you to bring it. As long as you bring what they require (ripped tint/bulb/etc) there's nothing they can do. All they want is their money. LOL

Old 03-27-2009, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
I went today to the local window tint instaler to mark a day...when he told me that after install the tint i must go to an inspection (that i already know) and then ask for a legal registration???!!!!! tath cost almost 130€ (175$) . DAMN i hate this bureaucrats. 170€+100€+130€=400€ (540$) only for install a simple tape!!!!!. I prefer to spend my money on a new set of Wheels. conclusion the window tint i must forget for now maybe the law will change again!! or my wife will kill me.
Out law rules

Old 03-27-2009, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
lets see some pics of your fit!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
lets see some pics of your fit!
I will try to take some pictures, maybe next week .Because i´m going on vvvaaacccaaatttiiiooonnn yeah finally.
-Fat Ping Cat- did you have any problem with the law so far?.
By the way is my English bad???

Old 03-28-2009, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
nope no problems with the law so far, only pulled over for a rolling stop and the cop let me go, he didn't say anything about my tint, yellow fogs or lowering springs, led tails etc...

we always like to see pictures, Fits from outside of the states are cool to see.

your english isn't too bad at all by the way.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Finally i did my tint last week, i wanted so bad that my wife offered me. Now i must do what she wants for a while.

Now cops can go on my tail without upsetting me. It´s all legal.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Here in the UK you can get fined for having the windows forward of the B-pillar tinted by more then the max. allowed. The police can make you remove the window tint on the spot.

Other issues to get you into trouble include fitting ultra-bright headlight bulbs (sorry, I can't remember the exact wattage) and license plates in the wrong typeface (a new trend other here are European-style license plates with UK number but in the French or German typeface).

People who modifiy cars in this way prefer GM Corsa, Ford Fiesta, etc rather then the Jazz.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
If you want to do illegal tint do it your self the film is cheap. I had my rear windows done by a shop and then put some light tint on my front windows myself. If I get anything from a cop while he's writing his ticket ill remove the tint before he can even get back to the car.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:53 AM
In Germany you only have the permission to tint the back windows. Not the driver, co-driver and front window.. If you do and police catching you, your registration will expired and you have one week to pay a ticket and remove this tint. ^^

Old 05-06-2009, 05:10 AM
I think you all should move here to Indonesia, here we're free to modified anything as long as it still match the car documents (color, engine and chassis code, etc)..
LOL

Old 05-06-2009, 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by itoo
I think you all should move here to Indonesia, here we're free to modified anything as long as it still match the car documents (color, engine and chassis code, etc)..
LOL

Hehe, where can I get a flat in Indonesia? ;-)

Old 05-06-2009, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
In Hawaii, the state decided to pass something called "recon" which was needed for certain modifications which is totally unnecessary. for example, if your car is lowered, the car must be aligned within factory specs and the paperwork must be shown within 30 days of appointment. they do a bounce test to see if the suspension has play. if its "too stiff" and doesnt have enough suspension travel of about 2 inches, you fail the recon test and $15 goes to waste. HIDs = fail, having LED tails on the Fit = fail because there is no side reflector on the tail lights. Tint has to be 35% or lighter too. blah blah.

i dont have one and a lot of people here dont bother and maybe most cops doesnt really make a big deal out of it. i pass by cops all the time and i never had a problem yet. i still get nervous thoguh when there is one behind me. people do get tickets for not having recon for lowering the car. as long as the car isnt obnoxious and horrible-looking, wont really attract a lot of attention.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AMMF
I fit freaks i´m from Portugal near lisbon i have a 2005 jazz, the one restiled.
I have to many ideas for my car but here in Portugal we can´t do any manufacturer changes or we have cops on our tail.

fitfreak rules

Nio matter where, there should be trouble only if you modify to affect emissions, safety, or visibility. tinting of course is a danger to law enforcement because its too hard to see a weapon inside or other suspicious activity.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:36 AM
cops are more apt to see you when you have your car modified, just because it doesnt look like everyother car. ive been pulled over numerous times for N O reason just because of the way my car looked, and have been given bs tickets from cops that wanted to be dickheads.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
What we have here in the US is a silly system where the shop that tints your car breaks the law with your permission provided you sign a waiver of liabilty. That way they can screw you twice! Once when they charge you 220 bux to tint the car, and again when they charge you 60-120 bucks to peel it back out again when you get a fix-it ticket. And of course, every state has a different statute on tint percentage so you can never be sure you are NOT breaking the law. This is why roads here in the US are sooooo smooth. Not bitter, not at all.
I totally agree

I just got out of traffic school (for a speeding ticket in my Fit - this is the only place I actually don't feel ashamed about it )

The class was taught by a retired police officer who gave a lot of interesting info.

Granted, this info is for CA, here are a few points:
1) There isn't a problem with tinting the back and rear windows. Anything else gets touchy. The only way to tell you are ok is to have the police do an light emissions test.
2) The aftermarket shops will sell you stuff all day long that are NOT STREET LEGAL
a) too dark tints for front windows
b) any lights on the vehicle that aren't allowed (those blue lights are a no no)
c) exhausts that are deemed "too loud"
d) dash mounted GPS that isn't in the corners
e) DVD Video systems for the driver
3) The vehicle code has 40,000 entries
4) The vehicle code is different per state
5) The vehicle code changes often

Old 05-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by fit_love
cops are more apt to see you when you have your car modified, just because it doesnt look like everyother car. ive been pulled over numerous times for N O reason just because of the way my car looked, and have been given bs tickets from cops that wanted to be dickheads.
true. when i had my scion tc, i got pulled over left and right for stupid reasons. never had a problem when i was in my m3 or acura tl-s. cops here target anyone who drives hondas and acuras

Old 05-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I try to keep my car low-profile when it comes to mods; I havn't been pulled over even once yet in the last 2 years in this car.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by terryb
Here in the UK you can get fined for having the windows forward of the B-pillar tinted by more then the max. allowed. The police can make you remove the window tint on the spot.
To clarify, the front side windows must let through 70% light here in the UK. The windows behind the B pillar can be as dark as you want. You could be fined GBP£30 (a speeding fine in comparison is normally GBP£60 and three points on your license). To my suprise, having windows illegally tinted on the side windows will not fail the MoT test (a yearly compulsory test of roadworthyness for cars over three years old).

Old 05-18-2009, 04:46 PM
I Feel for you fit freaks that wana mod your cars! Here in Thailand its no biggy to tint out your windows even 90% if you want to! or even put a straight through exhuast system that will blow your eardrums at full RPM. Police dont even take a second look! gonna enjoy the slack laws while i can after it will be the same as everywhere els! Stupid strict ass rules!

Old 05-18-2009, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xtreme
I Feel for you fit freaks that wana mod your cars! Here in Thailand its no biggy to tint out your windows even 90% if you want to! or even put a straight through exhuast system that will blow your eardrums at full RPM. Police dont even take a second look! gonna enjoy the slack laws while i can after it will be the same as everywhere els! Stupid strict ass rules!
Ah I wish, Even the lowest of rumble turns a police officers head!

Quick Reply: By modifying your car do you have problems with the law